THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack M235i all season tires - which brand/model ?

01-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

M235i all season tires - which brand/model ?

Hi, I'm seriously considering all seasons for my new M235i, as I like to take occasional road trips to colder regions, and would rather not have to worry about a second set, changing tires, etc. Also, I do NOT race (no track stuff) ... I am, for the most part, an everyday driver, who enjoys a fast car like the M235i.

The BMW website does not state which exact tires you get when you choose to go with the optional all season tires.

Does anyone know which exact tires (brand/model) the optional all-seasons are ?

Those who got the optional all-seasons, how do they perform in different conditions ? Please share some experiences.

Thanks a million ! I'm really in two minds about this issue right now, and it's an important decision.
      01-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFT are what I have on mine. Only had it a couple weeks but I feel I'm getting a good read on them now. My car is WAY under-tired for aggressive driving. If they were 245 all around it would probably be ok-ish, but at 225 it will slide too easily for my liking. Sidewall is soft.

Traction on dry snow or ice is actually not terrible. As long as you are aware and cautious they do alright. Slushy snow is not as good, not bad by any means, but you really need to drive appropriately.

When this lease is up I may purchase a M240xi. If I do I'm getting the PSS summer tires and going with a second set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus for winter. I was hoping for a do-it-all tire but this car has too much power and I drive too aggressively to use the stock all seasons year-round.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFT are what I have on mine. Only had it a couple weeks but I feel I'm getting a good read on them now. My car is WAY under-tired for aggressive driving. If they were 245 all around it would probably be ok-ish, but at 225 it will slide too easily for my liking. Sidewall is soft.

Traction on dry snow or ice is actually not terrible. As long as you are aware and cautious they do alright. Slushy snow is not as good, not bad by any means, but you really need to drive appropriately.

When this lease is up I may purchase a M240xi. If I do I'm getting the PSS summer tires and going with a second set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus for winter. I was hoping for a do-it-all tire but this car has too much power and I drive too aggressively to use the stock all seasons year-round.
Excellent information ! Thanks so much ! This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

I live in Southern California, and even my occasional trips won't take me to any extreme weather, so I'm guessing that all seasons will suffice for me.
      01-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I have been running the p7 cinturato all season's on my xdrive for about 6k miles now. Overall I am fairly impressed in dry, wet, slush, light snow so far.. Make sure the tires are at the proper pressures, and let them warm up when it's cold out. Traction control will do it's thing when you hammer it. I bought a second set of these as spares because they have been working out real well as daily driver tires. Although we have yet to have deeper snow than 1", I am still impressed so far.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
I live in Southern California, and even my occasional trips won't take me to any extreme weather, so I'm guessing that all seasons will suffice for me.
If that is the case I would definitely skip the all seasons and get the PSS. The difference in handling will be pretty significant. If you like to "play" like I do the all seasons tip the risk too far for my comfort.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, I've actually decided to stick with the summer tires, after careful consideration.

My dealer, who owns an M3 himself, convinced me that even in cold (but not extreme) weather, the summer tires just need to warm up and they will provide enough traction for everyday driving (I'm not an aggressive driver).

So, all said n done, I think I want to take advantage of the high performance the PSS summers provide, when I'll be in SoCal, which is almost all the time.
      01-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

good choice
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

For your area that makes sense! Just remember braking on softer summer tires is not as effective as all-seasons or winters. Ultimately drive sane and safe and you'll be fine.. Keep tire pressure at recommended levels; between summer and winter the drop is rather significant.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
For your area that makes sense! Just remember braking on softer summer tires is not as effective as all-seasons or winters. Ultimately drive sane and safe and you'll be fine.. Keep tire pressure at recommended levels; between summer and winter the drop is rather significant.
Great ! Will do, thanks for the advice. I'm learning a lot on this forum, already
      01-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Forgot to add the TireRack review:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177
      01-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

what Hoppy said...
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Jeggers
Rep
Drives: former 15 M235xi Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Interesting - I would think that braking on the softer summer tires would be more effective (in the conditions they are rated for) over RFs. My noob logic may be off, but since they provide more grip overall, wouldn't that apply to both stopping power and acceleration? Or were you referring to colder/wintier conditions? Just curious.

Incidentally, I just ordered a set of PSS's to replace my Pirelli Cinturato RFs that I ordered by mistake. I guess I'll know the answer to my question later this week.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

he means braking on summer tires in winter season won't be as effective as braking on all-seasons in winter season...

in summer, summer tires will brake and accelerate better than all-season or winter tires
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yea sorry for being unclear, it was intended to be read as summer tires in winter conditions When it's warm those softer tires melt/gooose into the pavement and stick like glue.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks again, guys ! I appreciate the information.

For this time, I decided to stick with the PSS tires, but I will see how it goes and definitely consider all seasons if/when I feel the need for them, or maybe as a second set.

I've considered the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
      01-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
Thanks again, guys ! I appreciate the information.

For this time, I decided to stick with the PSS tires, but I will see how it goes and definitely consider all seasons if/when I feel the need for them, or maybe as a second set.

I've considered the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
Had Conti DWS for 3 years on my last Audi, nice for highway travel, worthless for sport driving. The sidewalls are far too soft and roll considerably. And do not forget, the first thing to wear on the DWS is the S (Snow) - they usually last through one winter, but the S portion will not last for a second winter through the summer.
      01-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #17
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Today will be a nice test for all-seasons, got 3-4 inches of snow on the ground today! This will be fun in the 235 Don't forget to hit the DTC button for some real fun.
Appreciate 0