THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Checking for damaged suspension components?

01-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Checking for damaged suspension components?

Hello all!

TLDR: may have bent suspension part- feels wobbly driving- what and how check?

I recently had a flat and had to change rims since I do have a OEM rim as a spare. I took this time to also install some ECS 15mm spacers I had laying around due to the fact that we had to basically chisel and hammer off the BMW wheel lock since the lock key broke on us.

The person assisting me is a pretty well trusted mechanic and due to the design of the wheel lock as well as the fact the indent also sheared off, we had to basically hammer on it in a few angles to get it to come loose. This wasn't ideal but we didn't have much else to try. He didn't wail on it by any means and it honestly did not look like any excessive force on the hub or rim.

After removing it and installing the spacers (which was good since I had 5 lugnuts to replace the now useless locks, I've noticed a slight wobble that I'm not entire sure isn't in my head... I'm also noticing a instability in corners that the car doesn't feel as planted.

Some more info: I had 3 flats in the last 2 weeks and a local tire shop did the tire replacements (they also torqued the bits on so hard the breaker bar sheared it instead of unscrewing it..). I'm not sure if they balanced them correctly so that could also explain some weird feel while driving I guess.
      01-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Hello all!

TLDR: may have bent suspension part- feels wobbly driving- what and how check?

I recently had a flat and had to change rims since I do have a OEM rim as a spare. I took this time to also install some ECS 15mm spacers I had laying around due to the fact that we had to basically chisel and hammer off the BMW wheel lock since the lock key broke on us.

The person assisting me is a pretty well trusted mechanic and due to the design of the wheel lock as well as the fact the indent also sheared off, we had to basically hammer on it in a few angles to get it to come loose. This wasn't ideal but we didn't have much else to try. He didn't wail on it by any means and it honestly did not look like any excessive force on the hub or rim.

After removing it and installing the spacers (which was good since I had 5 lugnuts to replace the now useless locks, I've noticed a slight wobble that I'm not entire sure isn't in my head... I'm also noticing a instability in corners that the car doesn't feel as planted.

Some more info: I had 3 flats in the last 2 weeks and a local tire shop did the tire replacements (they also torqued the bits on so hard the breaker bar sheared it instead of unscrewing it..). I'm not sure if they balanced them correctly so that could also explain some weird feel while driving I guess.
Could be so many things.
Will your aftermarket wheels fit without the spacers? If so remove spacers and test.

If the tire balance were bad you'd get a kind of high frequency vibration either in steering wheel or in the seat through to you.

As for banging on lug nut lock, you'd really have to go at it to cause damage, wheel would probably be first thing to crack - if I'm picturing correctly what you describe.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
They're OEM staggered- yeah we weren't sledge hammering it or anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I guess spacers would be the easy thing to test- I'm out of alignment for sure and I'll be getting it done this week- just concerned it will be for nothing with mis-balanced wheels or bent components
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Bump for any other advice☺
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
As mentioned earlier. Remove the spacers first and leave them off until you get it sorted out. Less variables that way.

Wheel balance and alignment would be the first thing I check.

One thing that stood out to me in your post is that you sheared a bolt from the old shop over torquing the bolt. Extreme over torque could warp the hub in a worse case scenario. Maybe lead to premature wheel bearing failure also...

If you ever see a shop use an impact gun to put on your wheels never go there again. Lug nuts/bolts should be installed by hand and then a TQ wrench should be used as the final step.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
As mentioned earlier. Remove the spacers first and leave them off until you get it sorted out. Less variables that way.

Wheel balance and alignment would be the first thing I check.

One thing that stood out to me in your post is that you sheared a bolt from the old shop over torquing the bolt. Extreme over torque could warp the hub in a worse case scenario. Maybe lead to premature wheel bearing failure also...

If you ever see a shop use an impact gun to put on your wheels never go there again. Lug nuts/bolts should be installed by hand and then a TQ wrench should be used as the final step.
Thanks for the info- I also spoke to a specialty shop and they also said pretty much what you and the previous poster have said: that if torqued that tight it could have warped the hub. They were tough to get out even with a breaker bar so it's definitely a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info- I also spoke to a specialty shop and they also said pretty much what you and the previous poster have said: that if torqued that tight it could have warped the hub. They were tough to get out even with a breaker bar so it's definitely a possibility.
Hate to say it, but any bolt and nut that's over TQ'd that much should be replaced. It will permanently stretch the bolt and weaken it.

Will you probably be OK leaving them, yes. But I tend to lose sleep over such things
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Hate to say it, but any bolt and nut that's over TQ'd that much should be replaced. It will permanently stretch the bolt and weaken it.

Will you probably be OK leaving them, yes. But I tend to lose sleep over such things
That was actually why I put the spacers on- all new lugnuts on evrey wheel. The lock set is toast- we had to literally destroy it to get the lock removal socket to grip.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
That was actually why I put the spacers on- all new lugnuts on evrey wheel. The lock set is toast- we had to literally destroy it to get the lock removal socket to grip.
I saw a good YouTube video on how to remove a lug lock without a key, did you search there first? Believe it may have been a Jalopnik contributor who was in the video.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I saw a good YouTube video on how to remove a lug lock without a key, did you search there first? Believe it may have been a Jalopnik contributor who was in the video.
We used the stripped lignut removal socket- like a spiral socket that bites into it then allows you to twist out- unfortunately it was just a bit tough since it was on there real good.
Appreciate 0