THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stereotypes of 2 series owners

11-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Stereotypes of 2 series owners

I happened across one of those "stereotypes of typical drivers of brand X" and I did think that your 2'er driver is a bit different than your "typical" BMW owner stereotype. More likely to use turn signals and park within the lines than is the stereotype for drivers of 3/4 series. Less in it for the prestige as your 5/6/8 series driver. Your old school BMW enthusiasts, you know the type that have at least two 2002s cause one is always in the air and think that the E36 it the last “true” BMW will grudgingly say if you had to get a new one they guess the 2 is al’rite. I’d say ALL 2 series drivers have in common they wanted something that was smaller than “they are making cars these days” and have some affinity to wanting a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics. Of your BWM owners, 2 owners are generally going to be more budget conscious than most, but (especially with your M2 buyers) may just want a smaller more nimble car.

So, "Just for fun" I compiled this list based on the types of 2 owner folks I've seen on various forums. Please critique, correct, lambast me for even doing such a thing or get trigged.

M240i - Probably a middle aged bloke who most likely owned an E46 3 series coupe and thought that the new 4 series was “too big”. Loves their M240, but does complain about the steering and small gas tank. Lightly modified, maybe LSD and Dinan tune. Has taken it to the track once or twice “just to say I’ve done it.” Usually drives in Sport Mode. Would rather drive a low milage E46 M3 but it’s a close call.

M235i - 20 something kid racer, but a bit more refined tastes than your typical rice rocketeer and has the sense to want RWD. Most heavily modified, JB4, catless DP, body mods. Takes it to the track as much as can afford. Drives in Sport Plus mode. Rather drive a M4 GTS you know the one with the huge wing in back. (Or same as above for M240i just has had it a few years.)

230i M Sport - You want a RWD drive with great handling to have fun down twisty roads but you don’t want to spend a fortune on petrol. Sport plus on said twisty roads, econ or comfort otherwise. May have (small) kids. Happy with their car, might look at a model 3 tho.

228i Likely mid thirties and wanted to get into a BMW but something small and economical and liked the 2 door style. No mods. Usually drives in comfort mode. Rather drive a new 3 or 4 series if they could afford it.

If you live in a place where it snows, add X drive for above.

M2 - True car enthusiast type who thinks a 911 is too flashy or actually wants to be able to come home with groceries in it once in a while. Takes it to the track a few times a year. Drives in mode must suited to circumstances. Either no or very light mods - likely M Perf only, to persevere value or completely kitted out for track and only used there.

M2 Comp - just a lucky bastard, likely has blackmail against his dealer or sister is married to one.
Appreciate 4
sport6.00
///M Houbi1653.00
      11-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I doubt that many drivers of any 2-series have mods of any sort. Some of us are purists, and most just don't have any interest in mods. Besides, it's hard to argue that this car needs mods, except maybe for the LSD.
Also, most 2-series sold in North America are x-drive, so no LSD anyway.
Just sayin'.
And yes, I did own an E46, but a sedan, not a coupe, and I held on to it for a dozen years, until BMW made another car of similar dimensions. But the last E46 was made a dozen or more years ago, so many members of this forum are just too young to have bought one new.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
More likely to use turn signals and park within the lines... Your old school BMW enthusiast... have total affinity to wanting a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics... more budget conscious... want a smaller more nimble car...
That's me. Additionally, I wanted a car that could be made track-ready for a reasonable sum, and this car checks that box.

Description of this M240i owner - An elderly bloke who owned a pair of E36 M3 race cars and thought that the 2 series was today's affordable BMW approximation of same. Enjoys his M240, but does complain about how $#()*%&! heavy it is. Modified to enter, pass through, and exit corners at a decent clip. Takes it to the track. Always drives in Comfort Mode on the street, and DSC OFF at the track. Would rather have his E36 race car back for the track, but aged-out of that exercise. Summary: Not daily driven, road trip car used 2-3X each year at the track.

Experientially, the car I've owned that this one most reminds me of is a 1985 M635CSi that I bought new in early 1985, the year before BMW began importing them as the M6. For the day, the M635CSi was pretty impressive, and I used it to road trip all over the West at high speeds. I eventually sold it to Steve Dinan so he could prepare it for a client of his on the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-02-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Texan2er
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
More likely to use turn signals and park within the lines than is the stereotype for drivers of 3/4 series. Less in it for the prestige as your 5/6/8 series driver... I’d say ALL 2 series drivers have in common they wanted something that was smaller than “they are making cars these days” and have some affinity to wanting a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics.

M235i - 20 something kid racer, but a bit more refined tastes than your typical rice rocketeer and has the sense to want RWD. Most heavily modified, JB4, catless DP, body mods. Takes it to the track as much as can afford. Drives in Sport Plus mode. Rather drive a M4 GTS you know the one with the huge wing in back.
uuuuuuuuh... Yeah, that's me! 20-something hooligan...

Though a P-car is definitely the next goal, hopefully alongside the M235i! (in reference to the M2 section )
Appreciate 2
MarkDemma517.00
sport6.00
      11-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

M235 driver here. Tall skinny male, 44, married, two kids, and paid off suburban house in Kansas City. I'd say I fit the BMW male stereotype when it comes to what I look like. Jeremy Clarkson would likely agree too LOL

Most every non-car person I know thinks my car was far more expensive than it is (MW, red interior, nice wheels; the car does look higher end). The only mods are the LSD and minor exterior and interior mods, MPE, and wheels. I could go out and buy a M2C (will likely have one), but I have just too much damn fun with the car as it is (owned for 2.5 years) and have other things I want to do to it for getting rid of it. I can definitely see me owning this car or an M2C for a very long time along with a 993 gen 911S. All that will happen, probably sooner, rather than later. I strongly believe living within your means, but also having fun so as long as it doesn't impact your financial stability.

What drew me to the M235 is that it reminds me of my old college roommates 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 notchback. That car was a freaking blast. Compact, just enough room, tons of torque, great sounds, and just plain fun to drive. The M235 has all of that plus highway legs, refinement, handling, braking, and sexy coupe looks.
      11-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Man, it's these kind of posts that perpetuate the hate.

Mods? Mods! MODS! DO SOMETHING!

KIDDING!

But seriously: OP, I'd alter your post to describe these as 'stereotypes of 2 Series owners on Bimmerpost' (red emphasis added) because a lot of it is way, way, off base for the majority of 2 Series owners.

(And by the way: I had an 2xxi M Sport, and I wouldn't be caught D-E-A-D in a Model 3, much less consider buying one. I dare say that most M Sport owners wouldn't, either.)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
228i Likely mid thirties and wanted to get into a BMW but something small and economical and liked the 2 door style. No mods. Usually drives in comfort mode. Rather drive a new 3 or 4 series if they could afford it.

Quite off in my case! 228i bought at age 60 after driving and rejecting 3 and 4 Series for being too big/boaty feeling. (Subsequently added 3GT as the "family car"). Could have purchased one of each, so affordability was not a factor. RWD and 6MT in the middle of the midwest snow belt, just like the car it replaced for those 6 years. Mods? See the list below. Chose the 228i and not M235i at the time due to preference for lighter front ends for nimbler feel...and also more reminescent of 2002s and my earlier 3 Series (which was a smaller car at the time - 1977!) 4 has plenty of power, but enjoying the better balance/steering responsiveness, even more with the M2 LCAs installed. Always in Sport mode, unless my wife is riding with me.

How does all that fit your paradigm?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-02-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

I guess I'm somewhere between the M235i and M240i stereotype, as a 3+ year M235i owner. I wanted something as close to my old E36 M3 as possible that could still fit 2 teenagers.

Still very happy with my decision.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Mark,

Interesting premise and thread. Thank you.

I am definitely a carbon copy of your M235i owner description (xDrive since I live in New England). I am a short, obese, bald, 50-something kid racer type. I use my M235 as my daily for my 100 mile RT commute (only when I am in the office, otherwise it sits in my garage or at the airport) in all seasons. I keep it in comfort mode most of the time (see why regarding frugality below), but use sport mode on the back roads, if safe (out here in the sticks, we have a lot of pedestrians and bikes on the windy back roads). It is my (not counting my wife's X5) first car with an automatic in my life as a daily. I now have a swollen knee and a sore ankle from jamming my left foot to the floor. I can't wait for my first emergency braking situation when I shove both feet to the floor simultaneously by rote!

The reason I do not have a M240 is I am a cheap and frugal guy and it took me 6 months to decide to pry my wallet open (flies came out) and buy a second hand M235 to replace my former daily, which had 270K on it and the original clutch. It was the only car (out of the ~15 different models I drove and evaluated of various marques) that left me giggling like a little girl, which was my primary criterion for purchase.

I occupied my misspent youth rallying (both TSD and Performance), autocrossing (or running in gymkana's, remember those!) and terrorizing small animals on back roads (however, no actual animals were harmed). I have decided that I want to autocross again, so the M235 will be put to work there in the spring. Then I can terrorize myself...

At least your premise did not start with the old joke regarding porcupine's and BMW (pick a marque) owners...,

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

I guess I'm not stereotypical: 62 years old and spent two years researching the last car I plan to buy and keep until death do us part. If I make it to 72 without totaling it, the car will probably have about 65k mileage, but I won't be able to find the keys.

In April 2018, there was nothing on the market comparable in terms of price, performance and handling with AWD. It just happened to be a BMW with nice rebates and 1.9% financing so I could (barely) afford it. Plus I hit the cut-off and Leipzig sent me a 2019.

However, one of my greatest joys is sitting in the right seat watching my conservative wife trying - and failing - to stay at the speed limit in Sport mode!
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #11
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Not sure why you’d think there would be a 20 year spread between 235 and 240 owners. It’s the same car, more or less.
      11-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
M240i - Probably a middle aged bloke who most likely owned an E46 3 series coupe and thought that the new 4 series was "too big". Loves their M240, but does complain about the steering and small gas tank. Lightly modified, maybe LSD and Dinan tune. Has taken it to the track once or twice "just to say I've done it." Usually drives in Sport Mode. Would rather drive a low milage E46 M3 but it's a close call.
M240i – Me: Old fart whose last BMW was an Isetta. Wouldn't buy anything larger than a 2 Series, and even that was pushing my boundaries. No complaint about the steering or the gas tank... both are big improvements over the Isetta. Major mods were removing the sun visor stickers and de-badging the trunk lid. Life is my "track"; love the road you're with. Usually drive a mix of Comfort and Sport, depending on SoCal traffic and type of road. Wouldn't look twice at any M3.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
1/2M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Hi, buying this car took quite the research and it was right up there with a buying a house and a favorite watch.
I literally researched all brand that had a coupe/sportish model below 60k and it was a whole lot of them with minutes and pluses, but the m240i scored the most points as: size, design, power, overall driving experience, interior, seats, options, non flashy. As for a 2 series characteristics here we go: I signal even in the garage(damn kevin hart), I park by the book, use mostly comfort, sport every other day when roads allow( New York is a battlefield), sport plus very rare, still can’t tell what all the buttons/modes do, never tried launch control or went to a track, buying automatic( the one thing I truly regret right after xdrive), I would want an m3, 911, lotus, but hoping to skip that sometimes in the future for a 650s or 720s mclaren, besides some exterior mods nothing else(even though I’d upgrade exhaust if I had the time), I keep the interior fresh, but don’t bother much with the exterior, I use 93 octane even though I know 91 is totally fine, kept seats covered for 1.5 years. Drive it daily which kinda cheapens the feeling since I don’t drive anything else and can’t compare how lower power would feel right now. It is a very nice car, too bad I can’t use the real potential that it has.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
M235i - 20 something kid racer, but a bit more refined tastes than your typical rice rocketeer and has the sense to want RWD. Most heavily modified, JB4, catless DP, body mods. Takes it to the track as much as can afford. Drives in Sport Plus mode. Rather drive a M4 GTS you know the one with the huge wing in back. (Or same as above for M240i just has had it a few years.)

Haha pretty damn spot on! (Except for the large wing part)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:54 AM   #15
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I match the stereotypes perfectly. I am 78 for a while yet, most recent two cars prior to the M240i convertible were a 135is and a Juke. Prior to that, cars include 335i convertible, M Coupe, 320i, Porsche 928, 944 Turbo, Carrera 4, two corvettes, firebird trans am (company car, had to be reasonable), two or three jaguars, Lamborghini 400GT don't ask, a few Audis, couple of Miatas, MB SLK 350, some other stuff.

I bought the M240i convertible to have a year-round car and stop swapping between summer and winter cars. I drive briskly but generally not rudely, usually in sport mode. I shout and shake my fist at people who don't realize the speed limit is a minimum. If it's sunny and above 50 degrees, I put the top down. Kids should stay off my lawn.
Appreciate 8
      11-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I would say a large proportion of the owners on this forum mod their cars and take them to the track. Of course they do; it’s a forum for enthusiasts. (And a few moaners ) I would also say though that in general, the number of owners who do all that is very small. I have only seen one modded 2 series in the UK in four years (frozen wrapped), and the UK is the third biggest market. We buy nearly as many of them as the Germans!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #17
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
I happened across one of those "stereotypes of typical drivers of brand X" and I did think that your 2'er driver is a bit different than your "typical" BMW owner stereotype. More likely to use turn signals and park within the lines than is the stereotype for drivers of 3/4 series. Less in it for the prestige as your 5/6/8 series driver. Your old school BMW enthusiasts, you know the type that have at least two 2002s cause one is always in the air and think that the E36 it the last “true” BMW will grudgingly say if you had to get a new one they guess the 2 is al’rite. I’d say ALL 2 series drivers have in common they wanted something that was smaller than “they are making cars these days” and have some affinity to wanting a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics. Of your BWM owners, 2 owners are generally going to be more budget conscious than most, but (especially with your M2 buyers) may just want a smaller more nimble car.

So, "Just for fun" I compiled this list based on the types of 2 owner folks I've seen on various forums. Please critique, correct, lambast me for even doing such a thing or get trigged.

M240i - Probably a middle aged bloke who most likely owned an E46 3 series coupe and thought that the new 4 series was “too big”. Loves their M240, but does complain about the steering and small gas tank. Lightly modified, maybe LSD and Dinan tune. Has taken it to the track once or twice “just to say I’ve done it.” Usually drives in Sport Mode. Would rather drive a low milage E46 M3 but it’s a close call.

230i M Sport - You want a RWD drive with great handling to have fun down twisty roads but you don’t want to spend a fortune on petrol. Sport plus on said twisty roads, econ or comfort otherwise. May have (small) kids. Happy with their car, might look at a model 3 tho.

M2 - True car enthusiast type who thinks a 911 is too flashy or actually wants to be able to come home with groceries in it once in a while. Takes it to the track a few times a year. Drives in mode must suited to circumstances. Either no or very light mods - likely M Perf only, to persevere value or completely kitted out for track and only used there.

M2 Comp - just a lucky bastard, likely has blackmail against his dealer or sister is married to one.
Isn’t a 228i owner the same as a 230i owner, who just bought their car a year or two before? Incredible difference in your opinion of the two when the cars, for nearly 100% of buyers, are basically the same.

Tbh you’d get more differences in generalisations based on the colour.
Appreciate 1
BarryJI423.50
      11-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #18
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
...use turn signals...BMW enthusiast...wanted something that was smaller than “they are making cars these days” and....a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics...generally more budget conscious than most...
M240i - Probably a middle aged bloke...always wanted an an E46 3 series coupe (teenage daughter has a '04 ZHP now) and thought that the new 4 series was “too big”. Loves their M240, but does complain about the steering and small gas tank. Lightly modified...LSD and Dinan tune. Has taken it to the track once or twice “just to say I’ve done it.” Usually drives in Sport Mode...might rather drive a low mileage E46 M3 but it’s a close call...
Edited the quote above. That's me.
When I was looking for a new car in 2016, I did a lot of research. The M240i was one of only a very few cars that ticked all the boxes for me.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 11-20-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Way off for me, but I tend to buck most stereotypes. 228 had plenty of power and better balance, not a frugality; Xdrive for both all-season fun, and I really like the handling dynamic for performance driving. I exercise it regularly in the mountains here (only a few hunters up in the ADK); started tracking and plan to do as much of that as I can wrangle next year. The 'luxury/expensive' image is a drag, but not s/t to bend my decision. I found the 3'ers I've gotten as loaners to be sub-Mazda in all regards, wouldn't waste the time on a test drive, but I am starting to look at those new z4's.

And what's a turn signal ? (kidding - I actually use them more, knowing I'm 'not supposed to')
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
...and the UK is the third biggest market. We buy nearly as many of them as the Germans!
The original heirarchy has now been pushed down by a place, China is now the top BMW market, followed by the US, Germany and UK: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-bmw-group/

As that breakdown is for the whole BMW Group, Mini could be skewed differently on a country by country basis, but as Mini accounts for about 20% of group sales, any skew is unlikely to move China from the top spot for BMW sales compared with BMW Group sales as a whole.

Last edited by aerobod; 11-03-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #21
FX TR8R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Seaside Blue 230i

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I fit the 228i stereotype perfectly, except I drive my 230i xDrive in Eco mode, in town. :P
Once in a while, a fartcan ricer will want to race on the highway and I'll oblige.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
As that breakdown is for the whole BMW Group, Mini could be skewed differently on a country by country basis, but as Mini accounts for about 20% of group sales, any skew is unlikely to move China from the top spot for BMW sales compared with BMW Group sales as a whole.
They are doing better here....as in right here....50% of the mix for us....2 Bimmers, 2 Mini Countryman S...love them all!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0