THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos Something Bad happened today..... 8((((

05-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Well after today I was driving and something bad happened, I guess my M perf splitter got caught on a man hole cover or something , The roads are still being worked on after hurricane sandy almost 3 years later and there are some ridiculous road hazards all over the place , I have been rubbing the bottom every once in a while but never anything this bad. I took off from a light and immediately hear something scraping/dragging along the ground sounded like a big rock was under the front, so I pulled over not even 10 feet and saw the whole bottom folded over like vertical with the ground so I backed up and it went back to normal. I drove home and removed it , I had to fix the under tray which was pulled out but seems like no damage to anything else

I guess its time to get a new front lip!

If anyone wants a damaged OEM performance splitter PM me structurally it is fine but ascetically not so much

[IMG]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMG_1273.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMG_1276.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMG_1275.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...11829005_n.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Very sorry to hear that!!!! You won't believe this but I just had the same thing happen to me Sunday afternoon. I was at a 4 way stop and as I took off I went slowly over the dip and the splitter got caught on a crack and ended up going vertical as well. Mine ended up cracking so I had to cut it off and just kept the side pieces that go over the bumper. Doesn't look bad at all actually without the splitter and just the black side pieces. The mount for the splitter under the bumper got cracked and fell off. I think its the "shock absorber" but will have to look into it some more.

Anyway this is always a risk with these parts...........hope it all works out for you!

Last edited by Iceman51sn; 05-19-2015 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn
Very sorry to hear that!!!! You won't believe this but I just had the same thing happen to me Sunday afternoon. I was at a 4 way stop and as I took off I went slowly over the dip and the splitter got caught on a crack and ended up going vertical as well. Mine ended up cracking so I had to cut it off and just kept the side pieces that go over the bumper. Doesn't look bad at all actually without the splitter and just the black side pieces. The mount for the splitter under the bumper got cracked and fell off. I think its the "shock absorber" but will have to look into it some more.

Anyway this is always a risk with these parts...........hope it all works out for you!
Living in Nyc you think it's even worth having the front splitter or will I regret it ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
DYoung
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW 228i  [9.50]
My splitter broke off recently in a similar manner, except my wife was driving the car at the time. It only lasted three months!

I blame the rough roads more than her. Even if I was careful I noticed the splitter dragging in certain situations. I'm thinking it's not worth putting a new one on again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Mitchsays21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 | AW

Sorry to see!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I didn't realize how common of a problem this was! , it's a shame since its not exactly cheap piece!!! Maybe this can turn into a thread where people can report the same incident !!! I'm not gonna let this stop me ! Im in the process of getting a new lip not sure if I wanna go OEM again or RW 3D designs or exotics tuning as they look pretty similar , I have seen some ebay options of these but not sure I want to be the guinea pig! I will update with replacement!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

If I lowered my car, I would definitely get the splitter. I'd rather break that thing than the car itself
      05-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
If I lowered my car, I would definitely get the splitter. I'd rather break that thing than the car itself
It did protect my bumper and I am greatful for that! Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
I didn't realize how common of a problem this was! , it's a shame since its not exactly cheap piece!!! Maybe this can turn into a thread where people can report the same incident !!! I'm not gonna let this stop me ! Im in the process of getting a new lip not sure if I wanna go OEM again or RW 3D designs or exotics tuning as they look pretty similar , I have seen some ebay options of these but not sure I want to be the guinea pig! I will update with replacement!
I agree it's not cheap at all but I'm right there with you! Time for a new one!!!! The RW 3D looks insanely good.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:37 AM   #10
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i F22

I bashed my MP front splitter recently too. My suspensions are stock. The front splitter definitely lowers the front end quite a bit. I was going down a carpark and bam there goes the splitter. I live in Hong Kong so some carparks are steep. I don't recommend getting the front splitter if you live in a place with steep carparks. I just ordered the AC schnitzer CF front flipper piece. It looks like it will clear much more ground than the MP splitter. Anyways, here are my photo of the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
I bashed my MP front splitter recently too. My suspensions are stock. The front splitter definitely lowers the front end quite a bit. I was going down a carpark and bam there goes the splitter. I live in Hong Kong so some carparks are steep. I don't recommend getting the front splitter if you live in a place with steep carparks. I just ordered the AC schnitzer CF front flipper piece. It looks like it will clear much more ground than the MP splitter. Anyways, here are my photo of the damage.
Ouch!!!! Looks like the part it mounts onto came out from the spot it sits in on the bumper just like mine. At least it doesn't look broken.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
kmusk01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Ouch!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
Ouch!!!! Looks like the part it mounts onto came out from the spot it sits in on the bumper just like mine. At least it doesn't look broken.
Yep, the top bit came out but not broken. A body shop removed the front splitter and luckily no other damage done. Totally sucked.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS
That happened to me also the undertray came out , I was able to put it all back together , sorry to see it happened to your painted piece
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

An attempt at a temporary repair atleast so I can get it back on for Memorial Day Weekend , I live down at the jersey shore If any fellow members are coming down for the weekend maybe we can meet up ! Not in a weird way??! Ahh whatever I tried lol.

I sanded down the sheared parts and it's perfectly smooth , I am trying plastidip as I already had a can laying around , plus doesn't need primer and If it looks bad I can peel it off , I taped off everything only the affected areas did I spray hopefully the finishes of the blacks will match once dried! I will post some pics re installed when I put it back on and it's dry... I peeled the oem vinyl so now the gaps will be silver but o well!!!! Still going to get a new lip but I miss the look!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Back on and looks pretty good actually! For the record plasti dip matches pretty much perfect
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

Same thing happened to me too, multiple times in fact. So much that it actually damaged the splitters on the actual bumper. Honestly can't recommend this piece to any F22 owners anymore, would much rather go aftermarket...
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Good recovery on this one.. Looks good after the can repair !
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
We have lots of speed bumps and there is no way the splitter would last in Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #21
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
Let us know when the ACS CF splitter comes in, I love their stuff, but the price on it is crazy, I wish someone made a REP for it
      05-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Let us know when the ACS CF splitter comes in, I love their stuff, but the price on it is crazy, I wish someone made a REP for it
Will do!
BTW, just stumbled across the French guy's update and he installed the ACS CF front piece recently. In fact, he damaged the MP front splitter as well, thus he got the ACS one now.
I asked him for more pics of it. In the meantime, check out the pics:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...=975343&page=5
Appreciate 0