THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Auto rev matching with manual.

08-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Richard Welch
Rwelch
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Auto rev matching with manual.

I love my manual 240i, but can’t stand the auto rev matching. I love having complete control of my downshifts. It seems kind of crazy to have to disable all of the nannies to turn it off (exactly what I do 90% of the time). Do any of you manual drivers like the rev matching feature ? Just curious, and I hope this topic has not been beaten into the ground.

Last edited by Richard Welch; 08-05-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I'm used to it now, as your own throttle blip will over ride the automatic one and typically your blip will start sooner, as the automatic one can't start until the gear lever enters the gate for the destination gear so that the system knows how much to blip for the right gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I'm used to it now, as your own throttle blip will over ride the automatic one and typically your blip will start sooner, as the automatic one can't start until the gear lever enters the gate for the destination gear so that the system knows how much to blip for the right gear.
what he said. just do your own blip.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

I have kind of the reverse problem. I think it is a fantastic feature and I would love to have the rev matching available with DSC off.

Since I drive with DSC off all the time, it forces me to practice heel toeing, but I will never be as good as the automatic rev matching.

You guys who blip anyway, how does that work? If I try that (happens by accident all the time if I forget to turn DSC off), I hopelessly over-rev the gear shift and the car lurches.

As always with this discussion, it always ends up with the question for BMW: Why can't we make the choice ourselves? Give us a button to turn it on or off independently of all the other nannies.

My theory is that the main reason for the auto rev matching is to preserve the slightly under-dimensioned 6MT gearbox.

Last edited by Sonertial; 08-06-2018 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:56 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
My theory is that the main reason for the auto rev matching is to preserve the slightly under-dimensioned 6MT gearbox.
Although the nominal maximum torque for the GS6-45BZ transmission used by the M240i is 470Nm, BMW use sub-variants of the transmission in all cases which are modified versions compared with a standard GS6-45BZ. A torque of 550Nm in the F8x M3 & M4 is input into this transmission, where there haven't been any significant problems with stock cars, so I'm sure it is fine in the M240i at 500Nm.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
A torque of 550Nm in the F8x M3 & M4 is input into this transmission, where there haven't been any significant problems with stock cars, so I'm sure it is fine in the M240i at 500Nm.
Having already replaced a transmission early in my warranty period, with no modifications, I may be a bit biased, and worrying unnecessarily since the warranty expires this autumn.
I have not had any issues with the replacement, so I hope you are right. As I said, it's a theory, and BMW are for sure basing their decisions heavily on statistics. Hopefully mine was an outlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

So you can only turn off rev matching by turning DSC off in comfort mode? I've been playing around with it and found that is the only way, and it seems to keep comfort steering and throttle. Any way to turn rev matching off in Sport or Sport+?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

At least pre-LCI, DSC off is its own unique mode with a unique combination of settings. There is a thread here that summarises it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc1176 View Post
So you can only turn off rev matching by turning DSC off in comfort mode? I've been playing around with it and found that is the only way, and it seems to keep comfort steering and throttle. Any way to turn rev matching off in Sport or Sport+?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
I read in another thread around here that DSC off provides the Sport chassis settings (firm shocks and steering), but Comfort throttle response to allow for more linear acceleration during track use. I have not yet experimented with DSC off to confirm 100%, but hopefully someone else can chime in on that one.

As for turning off the auto blip feature, I don't think it can be coded out or else there would already be a thread out there in the DIY coding section. AFAIK, DSC off is the only way to defeat this feature.

I have grown to really appreciate it, personally. It's not like my manhood is in question when the nicest and fastest cars in the world are all automatic these days... the car still provides me with the satisfaction of using gross motor skills to control the gears, and it still keeps me fully engaged mentally compared to using an auto gearbox, all while keeping things faster and less stressful in track/DE scenarios.

Last edited by CP911; 08-08-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #10
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post

I have grown to really appreciate it, personally. ..
It really does work very well.

Rev Matching can be coded off in all modes by turning off "Start engine without clutch", but it has a few side effects involving how the Start Button works. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1418405
I have tested this, but it's the exact opposite of what I want, which is Rev Matching in DSC Off Mode.

I can confirm the effects of DSC off. I have experimented a lot with it. The following is what I have observed, so it's subjective and to be taken with salt.

With DSC off, the car has the same chassis settings as Sport/Sport+:
-If you have Adaptive M suspension (an option in EU), the suspension stiffens up in dynamic situations. (It's almost imperceptible if you are just taking it easy on the highway)
-With Variable Sports Steering (again, an option), the steering stiffens up.

The Throttle Response changes.
-It is NOT the same as Comfort, but may feel very similar since the starting state for comfort is linear rather than the twitchiness of Sport+.
-I believe that DSC turns off the "learned" throttle response that the car adapts to based on driving style.

There is a system at work controlling how the engine is throttled in various situations.
-Rev matching makes downshifts smoother.
-The throttle is modulated when upshifting for smoother upshifts.
-It keeps the car from engine braking as hard as it does with DSC off. This is probably a fuel saving feature.

The handling of the car changes.
- The rear wheels are permitted to slip under acceleration. I think there is some kind of E-Diff working with DSC off since, for an open diff, the traction loss is surprisingly even between the rear wheels. No LSD on my car.
- Oversteer is permitted under braking. In other modes the car works hard to stop the back going out. You (I) can't initiate a drift braking into a corner.
- You are able to perform a Handbrake turn. You cannot do this in even in Sport+, the nannies intervene to simply slow the car down. I believe it even applies front brake pressure to try and prevent the back wheels locking up.

The car is faster with DSC off. I don't know if it's a combination of the above or other factors at work, but, with the car in purely stock condition, I was almost 2 seconds faster around a 2.2km track than in Sport+.

As mentioned above, wildly subjective, but that's my experience.

Last edited by Sonertial; 08-09-2018 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 4
CP911985.50
dradernh4388.00
amw896582.50