THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Curious about this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

07-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Curious about this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

https://www.autohance.com/magnaflow-...ter-52267.html

Anyone have any experience with this particular catalytic converter? I've searched google and I can't find any info on it with people actually using it. It seems fairly inexpensive and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. It's also 49 state CARB approved.

I have a '14 228i M-Sport with just a Dinan Performance Tune and converted to the N55 muffler from a 235i. I will also be getting the Injen intake in a few weeks.

Last edited by hwntime; 07-06-2018 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
https://www.autohance.com/magnaflow-...ter-52267.html

Anyone have any experience with this particular catalytic converter? I've searched google and I can't find any info on it with people actually using it. It seems fairly inexpensive and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. It's also 49 state CARB approved.

I have a '14 228i M-Sport with just a Dinan Performance Tune and converted to the N55 muffler from a 235i. I will also be getting the Injen intake in a few weeks.
Not for performance. It will add nothing. All this is for is to replace a bad factory Cat. Unless your catalyitic converter is bad you don't want to replace it with this.

Modern cats flow pretty well from the factory, no real need for "High Flow" cats. The gains from catless and high flow cats are negligible. Most gains are attributed to the re-tuning of the car when installing said parts. It comes from the tune going from part throttle drive-ability (aka Stock) and going to a tune for horsepower. High flow cats typically add ~1-2hp, which also can be from variation in the dyno, temperature of the car, air temperature, humidy, etc. Gain from going catless with a tune are typically ~15hp, not a large amount and hard to notice in the "butt dyno".

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost

Last edited by KB34; 07-06-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      07-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB34 View Post
Not for performance. It will add nothing. All this is for is to replace a bad factory Cat. Unless your catalyitic converter is bad you don't want to replace it with this.

Modern cats flow pretty well from the factory, no real need for "High Flow" cats. The gains from catless and high flow cats are negligible. Most gains are attributed to the re-tuning of the car when installing said parts. It comes from the tune going from part throttle drive-ability (aka Stock) and going to a tune for horsepower. High flow cats typically add ~1-2hp, which also can be from variation in the dyno, temperature of the car, air temperature, humidy, etc. Gain from going catless with a tune are typically ~15hp, not a large amount and hard to notice in the "butt dyno".
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I was looking at reviews on other cars and it seemed to be decent, but I'll pass if it's negligible gains.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I was looking at reviews on other cars and it seemed to be decent, but I'll pass if it's negligible gains.
In my experience it all comes from the tunes, factory Cats aren't as bad as they were in the 80s and 90s, modern ones flow pretty well as it is.

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate 2
hwntime270.00
Tpeterson156.50