THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Chassis Check Control - Safe to Drive?

08-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240 XDrive

Chassis Check Control - Safe to Drive?

Hi,

I was driving about 40 MPH on Saskatchewan "highway" 13, which happens to be gravel, and I got the attached chassis check control with a warning to drive moderately. The road was actually quite smooth for a gravel road but there were ruts and the car was tramlining a bit with gravel being kicked up underneath. No washboard or potholes. It was very hot though, like 105 F and blazing sun.

I restarted the car right after the warning and it went away and stayed away. I have restarted the car 3 times since and driven another 250 miles with no issues. That's the only time I've seen that warning in the 11k miles since the car was bought new 18 months ago.

1. Is the car still safe to drive in a spirited manner? Could the suspension fail horribly or is this likely just a sensor issue?
2. What could have caused this?
3. What might be broken?

I am about 900 miles from home and I have a Monday morning service appt to check it out. But I have some nice twisty roads for much of those 900 miles and want to have fun on them unless you think that might damage the car or be unsafe given this warning?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

I have never seen or heard of this before.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlerWA View Post
1. Is the car still safe to drive in a spirited manner?...I have some nice twisty roads for much of those 900 miles and want to have fun on them unless you think that might damage the car or be unsafe given this warning?
I suppose you have to answer why BMW would create such a specific advisory warning to drive "moderately" if it was meant to be ignored?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I get random codes like this from time to time- if i comes back after pulling the battery then I get it checked (I also can read codes) so usually it’s something like power not building fast enough which is from my intake or my maf bieng a teeny bit dirty.
      08-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I got this error code recently and immediately scheduled a dealer appointment. The code went away a day later and two days later I took it in the dealer. They were able to see the code and said it had to do with the dynamic suspension control sensors. They cleared the code and took it on a "thourough" road test to see if it would come back (aka they drove the car really hard. Had 10 mpg average and they drove 10 miles. I was mad but they didn't do shit about it.) The code didnt reappear so they said it was good to go. What a waste of my time lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
I got this error code recently and immediately scheduled a dealer appointment. The code went away a day later and two days later I took it in the dealer. They were able to see the code and said it had to do with the dynamic suspension control sensors. They cleared the code and took it on a "thourough" road test to see if it would come back (aka they drove the car really hard. Had 10 mpg average and they drove 10 miles. I was mad but they didn't do shit about it.) The code didnt reappear so they said it was good to go. What a waste of my time lol
Thanks! I drove another 900 miles, some spirited, and the warming never reappeared.

But oddly, when I was about 4 miles from home, the "your seatbelt is not on" warning light came up, once when I was stopped then once again a few minutes later when I was moving. Oddly, both times when I picked up my iPhone from the passenger seat to snap a photo of the seatbelt warning, it disappeared.

Surely the weight of an iPhone on the passenger seat couldn't trigger the warning could it?

My driver's seatbelt was still attached. Is this a safety issue - like could my drivers airbag not fire if it didn't think my seatbelt was fastened?

Or maybe the seatbelt warning in conjunction with the chassis warning suggest some electrical gremlins or computer malfunction?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:

Surely the weight of an iPhone on the passenger seat couldn't trigger the warning could it?
It normally takes more than that, but I've had small laptops trigger the sensor mat in the passenger seat before, with the smaller area and more concentrated mass of the iPhone it is quite probable.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:

It normally takes more than that, but I've had small laptops trigger the sensor mat in the passenger seat before, with the smaller area and more concentrated mass of the iPhone it is quite probable.
Thanks. But that's odd because sometimes if I have a bag of groceries with eggs in it I'll put it in the front seat and that weighs more than my iPhone. But perhaps it's the pressure not the total weight?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
mayday813
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240 xdrive

Based on another post, apparently having a cell phone lying on the passenger seat activates the seat belt warning message. I normally place the cell phone in the cupholder.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #10
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update from dealership: apparently an issue with a wheel speed sensor caused the chassis malfunction. They are updating the system software overnight and will do a driving test in the morning to see if that fixes it ...
Appreciate 0