THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF charge pipe worth it?

07-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

VRSF charge pipe worth it?

So, I'm trying to squeeze a little more power out of my 228i M-Sport. I currently have a Dinan Performance tune and swapped out to a 235i muffler. I will be adding an Injen intake shortly and was wondering if there is a noticeable gain with upgrading to the charge pipe by VRSF. They state "increased throttle response and decreased turbo lag." Is that statement true? Is it actually noticeable, and is it worth the $220? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

charge pipe won't get you and performance. it's more of a piece of mind upgrade so that the stock plastic one doesn't bust on you at the higher boost of a tune.

careful tho, I didn't see any vrsf charge pipes for a 228i when I was looking. I think they still a TIC (turbo to intercooler) pipe that doesn't have issues with higher boost.

would hate for you to make the same mistake I almost did!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
charge pipe won't get you and performance. it's more of a piece of mind upgrade so that the stock plastic one doesn't bust on you at the higher boost of a tune.

careful tho, I didn't see any vrsf charge pipes for a 228i when I was looking. I think they still a TIC (turbo to intercooler) pipe that doesn't have issues with higher boost.

would hate for you to make the same mistake I almost did!
Thanks for the response. They actually do make one specifically for the 28i's now http://www.vr-speed.com/performance/...0-n20-n26.html As mentioned, they claim increased throttle response and decrease in turbo lag. The N20 does have a bit of lag so I was looking at this as an option but if there is no performance gain, I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

oh nice find!

there probably is a small performance gain, or else they're false advertising, honestly. will you notice it? probably not.

though, if you're doing bolt ons, you're probably gonna want a tune, thus you'd want the charge pipe.

best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh nice find!

there probably is a small performance gain, or else they're false advertising, honestly. will you notice it? probably not.

though, if you're doing bolt ons, you're probably gonna want a tune, thus you'd want the charge pipe.

best of luck!
I don't think I'll be doing anything more besides the Dinan Performance Tune, Injen intake, and axle back muffler as far as performance goes. I was originally interested in the charge pipe because if it did help with the turbo lag, I totally would get it because it is inexpensive. But, until I hear from someone saying that it does give an actual real world performance gain, I'll have to pass. Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Quote:
oh nice find!

best of luck!
I don't think I'll be doing anything more besides the Dinan Performance Tune, Injen intake, and axle back muffler as far as performance goes. I was originally interested in the charge pipe because if it did help with the turbo lag, I totally would get it because it is inexpensive. But, until I hear from someone saying that it does give an actual real world performance gain, I'll have to pass. Thanks for the response.
The reason the solid aluminum pipe will help with those issues is that it won't expand under increased pressure like the stock molded plastic one.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Up front, it is a 'piece of mind' upgrade.

From a performance standpoint, you could utilize Meth Injection down the road, since the VRSF pipe has a bung built in.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
The reason the solid aluminum pipe will help with those issues is that it won't expand under increased pressure like the stock molded plastic one.
Steve, do you know if it actually does help reduce lag in a real world application or is this in theory?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Steve, do you know if it actually does help reduce lag in a real world application or is this in theory?
It's science. Plastic is more flexible than solid metal tubing. If you plan to up the boost later it's insurance. I'm having high boost pressure issues now on the stock plastic piping.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's science. Plastic is more flexible than solid metal tubing. If you plan to up the boost later it's insurance. I'm having high boost pressure issues now on the stock plastic piping.
What type of problems are you having and how much boost are you at?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What type of problems are you having and how much boost are you at?
I have the JB Stage 1 so +3psi. There has been boost leak at the charge pipe connections causing the DME to go into limp mode for a bit. Then I have to turn the car off and it resets. It caused a CEL because of the fluctuations in boost pressures. I'm at almost 77,000 miles. I've been tuned since 49,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I'm running MPPK and JB+ in my 335i for a total of 5.5 PSI over stock boost. I completed adding my VRSF chargepipe yesterday after the stock one finally broke at the throttle body side. The kit I bought included a new o-ring and clip for the throttle body connector, all for around $250. The fit is good and the design is smoother and straighter than the stock unit, so all in all it's worth it. Regarding any sort of performance enhancement, I'd say it enables you to get all of the benefits of other modifications that could be mitigated by a CP leak or outright failure. The metal pipe will withstand higher boost much better than the OEM.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Picture of the charge pipe installed

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      07-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
hwntime
Captain
Rep

I'd like to do the charge pipe as a precautionary but the install looks pretty involved.
Appreciate 0