THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Can i run ethanol free fuel?

07-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Can i run ethanol free fuel?

So i'm thinking of trying this 108 unleaded octane fuel from torco race fuel with my BM3 race gas tune (i asked PTF and they said as long as the fuel is unleaded it'll be fine) but the fuel is 0% ethanol. Does it matter if there's no ethanol in it?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_f22 View Post
So i'm thinking of trying this 108 unleaded octane fuel from torco race fuel with my BM3 race gas tune (i asked PTF and they said as long as the fuel is unleaded it'll be fine) but the fuel is 0% ethanol. Does it matter if there's no ethanol in it?

Thank you!
not really.... if anything is better but you will get worse gas mileage
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Thank you!
Like they said, as long as it’s unleaded it’s fine. Your gas mileage may actually improve because pure gasoline is more energy dense than ethanol
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
gasoline, especially race gas (depending on what type) have a much higher energy density than ethanol. Ethanol usually supports less refined gas to have a higher octane, just to the point of gas companies being able to meet the quality standards.

108 race gas will have a huge advantage in stability against knock, especially considering 108 is much higher than the map needs as minimum. You can get a custom tune for that gas that is even more aggressive than the OTS map, by a good bit with octane that high. It is not as thin as ethanol so your stock fuel system will likely do just fine even with the higher maps. Better fuel = more timing, better ability to support more boost, and overall more power. However it runs hot so make sure your cooling system is running well, you have the necessary supporting mods, and log before you start hammering on it all the time.

So no, you don't need ethanol. The race gas is lightyears better than any low ethanol % mixed fuel.

Also have fun with how much it costs
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:48 PM   #5
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
gasoline, especially race gas (depending on what type) have a much higher energy density than ethanol. Ethanol usually supports less refined gas to have a higher octane, just to the point of gas companies being able to meet the quality standards.

108 race gas will have a huge advantage in stability against knock, especially considering 108 is much higher than the map needs as minimum. You can get a custom tune for that gas that is even more aggressive than the OTS map, by a good bit with octane that high. It is not as thin as ethanol so your stock fuel system will likely do just fine even with the higher maps. Better fuel = more timing, better ability to support more boost, and overall more power. However it runs hot so make sure your cooling system is running well, you have the necessary supporting mods, and log before you start hammering on it all the time.

So no, you don't need ethanol. The race gas is lightyears better than any low ethanol % mixed fuel.

Also have fun with how much it costs
Haha okay! How much more HP and boost do you think i would make running 108 octane with a custom map for it? I also have a 6.5" VRSF Competition intercooler i just got as well so i'm sure that will help.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haha okay! How much more HP and boost do you think i would make running 108 octane with a custom map for it? I also have a 6.5" VRSF Competition intercooler i just got as well so i'm sure that will help.
Depends on the tuner and how aggressive you are comfortable pushing you turbo but you may well be into the 430 range with proper exhaust, setup, plugs, etc

For reference I am making probably 430-440 wheel with 22 lbs boost mid range to 19-20 redline on stock turbo stg2+ E40 (live adjust to 40%) tapering up to 14 degrees of timing but I know this will kill my turbo in probably 20k miles
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Depends on the tuner and how aggressive you are comfortable pushing you turbo but you may well be into the 430 range with proper exhaust, setup, plugs, etc

For reference I am making probably 430-440 wheel with 22 lbs boost mid range to 19-20 redline on stock turbo stg2+ E40 (live adjust to 40%) tapering up to 14 degrees of timing but I know this will kill my turbo in probably 20k miles
yeah i might pick up some 108 octane and do dyno runs with it to see how much power i make. I also have a 6.5" competition intercooler and i'm gonna get an upgraded charge pipe so i'm sure that will help. Right now on the E30 tune i'm getting like 20.9 pounds of boost which is pretty insane compared to BM3 Stage 2 ACN91 AGG.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 05:24 AM   #8
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah i might pick up some 108 octane and do dyno runs with it to see how much power i make. I also have a 6.5" competition intercooler and i'm gonna get an upgraded charge pipe so i'm sure that will help. Right now on the E30 tune i'm getting like 20.9 pounds of boost which is pretty insane compared to BM3 Stage 2 ACN91 AGG.

20.9 lbs is the max the stock charge pipe MAP sensor can read, you are running lean if you are getting there and it stays maxed at that on your logs. Get the 3.5 bar sensor and install it with the new charge pipe- sooner rather than later because running these tunes on stock charge pipe is just asking for a big pop and you don't want to lose or break anything around it.

When I blew mine I found my chargepipe/manifold o ring under my gas tank on the splash shields, and the metal clip on the top side was around my ABS controller.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

20.9 lbs is the max the stock charge pipe MAP sensor can read, you are running lean if you are getting there and it stays maxed at that on your logs. Get the 3.5 bar sensor and install it with the new charge pipe- sooner rather than later because running these tunes on stock charge pipe is just asking for a big pop and you don't want to lose or break anything around it.

When I blew mine I found my chargepipe/manifold o ring under my gas tank on the splash shields, and the metal clip on the top side was around my ABS controller.
Okay gonna get a new charge pipe asap. My shop is sending a quote over. What is the sensor exactly? Will it be able to read higher boost?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #10
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep

Yes it will read higher boost, it's the sensor in your chargepipe that reads how much the air is pressurized before it goes into your engine so it can supply the right amount of fuel.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...843531#fitment

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Did you ever Dyno the car? I ran the race gas map on trick 100 and was disappointed. The car made 50 less tq than on regular gas, the curve was super smooth though.
Appreciate 0