THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Aftermarket Intake or Factory Box w/Intake Resonator Delete

07-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
R_don_abon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Aftermarket Intake or Factory Box w/Intake Resonator Delete

Hi all,

I've been going back and forth regarding what I want to do regarding my intake. This is purely done to enjoy more turbo noise for daily driving (...and maybe a little aesthetics). I don't want to get into the debate of open air filters vs closed boxes. I have my mind made up on that front.

Originally, I was dead set on either MST or Dinan because of how well they look under the hood. I didn't love the look CTS/BMS although they're significantly cheaper.

One thing I didn't know about until recently was the factory intake muffles most turbo noises in the upper intake pipe which you can replace with silicone along with the lower intake pipe made by these companies: Paradigm, BMS, and some Euro companies. Here is the link for Paradigm. https://paradigmegineering.co/produc...cd605619&_ss=r

Supposedly, just the silicone pipe does most of the resonating, not so much the lower. So what are your guys' thoughts on just replacing the upper resonator with silicone for like $70 and using an AFE dry panel filter in the factory box for another $60ish? The videos I see online have terrible quality and I honestly can't hear the results.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

After my tune i went back to my cone intake and it made a difference in mid and top end power, i just ordered the turbo inlet as well and will put that on next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
R_don_abon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
After my tune i went back to my cone intake and it made a difference in mid and top end power, i just ordered the turbo inlet as well and will put that on next week.
You're saying the car didn't feel right before the tune? I wouldn't have expected an intake to require a tune.

Last edited by R_don_abon; 07-10-2021 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Some people have had issues with intakes making their cars run crappy. The stock intake does a very good job if you are on stock turbo and concerned about IATs. If your priority is turbo sounds or if you are upgrading your turbo and getting a custom tune an aftermarket intake can have benefits.

I've gone through the steps of putting on an open intake, getting rid of the intake silencers etc, the biggest jump in sound was going to an open intake.

I personally run the bms intake and have used it successfully on the stock turbo and now with my Vargas unit. If you are going to be stuck in traffic often I don't recommend using an open intake as it does suck in a lot of hot air.

Bottom line is beyond sound an intake does very little on these cars but I can relate to the urge to want to tinker.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
R_don_abon
Enlisted Member
Rep

The more I read about getting an intake without a tune, the more I see ppl mention getting cel's/running worse. I never had a car that sensitive to these changes so perhaps I'll just wait until after my warranty is up so I can do a tune at the same time. Thanks for the input.

Maybe I'll just do the resonator deletes and get an AFE panel filter for the stock box in the meantime to hold me over lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #6
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo!

I have a CTS intake, no tune. For about 4 months now. No CEL, great noise, and i honestly fell it contributed to a better daily driving experience.

josh
Appreciate 0