THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone ever experienced this? Crazy NJ state trooper story inside

09-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #89
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglen View Post
Update!!!!!!!

Tickets dropped!!!!!
great news!!

now get that cam
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #90
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Update!!!!!!!

Tickets dropped!!!!!
Unbelievable that state is running out of money and still has professional standards. Great outcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #91
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
great news!!

now get that cam
Yup already have 2 on order.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #92
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Unbelievable that state is running out of money and still has professional standards. Great outcome!
Yes thank god!

Just goes to show. If you feel like you were wronged. A complaint can’t hurt.

I’m just glad I didn’t pay that lawyer yet lol.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #93
jmull3r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Lexus IS300 F-Sport

Quote:
So... took a nice drive today. Perfect day. From DC to NYC for a few hours to help my brother pack his stuff and move out of his apartment.

Driving home, about 20 minutes into NJ. In traffic basically, doing about 80 In the right lane.

I cruise past an 18wheeler to the left of me in the middle lane, and immediately see a state trooper in the left lane about 250ft ahead. There is an 18 wheeler about 100 feet in front of me so I change lanes into the middle lane. Maintaing my speed as all traffic is moving in the 75-80mph.

The cop Begins to slow down. I do as well but not abruptly I stay around 75 which all of traffic has basically slowed to.

Once I'm next to him he hits his brake and get right behind me. Almost tailgating me, and lights me up about 20 seconds later.

I pull over and he asks for my docs, and asks if I know why I'm being stopped.

I said no sir.

He says... you were speeding and you illegally passed a truck from the right. That's illegal...

I reply " I'm not understanding sir" I most certainly was traveling a bit above the limit but I'm traveling with traffic, and I was traveling in the right lane, are you saying it's illegal to change lanes if you're in the right lane? Also what was my speed exactly last I saw on the speedo I was doing about 75.

He says... I paced you, you were speeding. You were gaining on me. Looked like 85-95

I said, sir, you were several hundred feet ahead of me. I saw you when I changed lanes, and that's when I checked my Speedo, which was about 75, and you began deceleration to get behind me. I just don't understand

He says I'm not going to argue with you give me your shit right now.

I hand him my stuff.

Literally 39 minutes later... I timed it

He comes back with a reckless driving ticket, Improper lane change, and speeding.

Only the speeding ticket lists a court date. None of them have the mandatory box checked, and the speeding ticket has no speed level Checked, it just says paced, no speed indication at all

On top of that when he returns to explain this to me I literally am mind boggled and say, Sir I have a question ( was trying to ask about the lane change issue and why it would be a separate reckless driving ticket because it makes no sense, and the guy actually says...

I don't have time for your questions. Drops my Docs on the passenger seat and literally frisbees the tickets right at me. One of which hits me straight in the chin.

He gets in his car and I shit you not Burns rubber as he pulls away.

I've never experienced anything like it, but this guy was unhinged. I think I will need to hire a lawyer and obtain his dash cam footage here. This guy was what everyone fears in a cop encounter. I'm generally a huge LE supporter, but what can you really do when you come across a crazy guy like this...

Well I'm still worked up about it now a few hours later and can't sleep... any lawyers in the house??? What should I do, because I feel like I need to make sure it's on record that this guy is, or was in this instance not being a police officer but a thug with a badge.
That is horrible! I also live in NJ and have been stopped plenty of times, a lot of it has to do with owning a luxury sports car which they automatically don't like. Although I don't drive a BMW (2017 Lexus IS350 F-Sport) it is in ultrasonic blue which is a bright flashy color on top of having tints as well as no front plate (ruins the grille imo). I haven't had an experience this bad, but that was downright wrong! I have been pulled over for my license plate frame that says "F-Sport" in the middle covering garden state and he said it's unclear plates!! The fuck is that lmao. My best friend also drives an IS, and has pretty much the same mods as I do but it's in atomic silver which is that silver color with a goldfish pearlescent and she got pulled over actually doing 85 on the highway and got let off since she's in the national guard and gave her military id, it never fails! Either way there's no stopping getting pulled over for stupid reasons, they're just all kinds of fucked up here lol.
Here's pics of the cars:
Attached Images

09-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #94
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

This is a most fantastic saga!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #95
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Doesn't matter anyways because to solidify their case, they just lie and say they verified your speed with laser or radar anyways.
They may do this, although I have not experienced that but you can request discovery in any traffic case and ask for the radar/laser gun log and also the complete calibration log. They are required to calibrate them before each shift. NJSP probably does but many local cops may skip sometimes. Without this, no radar/laser is admissible in court. I've gotten out of a few tickets this way. If they pace you then you are basically screwed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:11 AM   #96
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Doesn't matter anyways because to solidify their case, they just lie and say they verified your speed with laser or radar anyways.
They may do this, although I have not experienced that but you can request discovery in any traffic case and ask for the radar/laser gun log and also the complete calibration log. They are required to calibrate them before each shift. NJSP probably does but many local cops may skip sometimes. Without this, no radar/laser is admissible in court. I've gotten out of a few tickets this way. If they pace you then you are basically screwed.
I heard this on vinwiki stories from that ticket lawyer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #97
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

What a horrible story. I am a retired litigator so I would look forward to fighting this in court but, then again, I would not have to hire a lawyer. I would subpoena his personnel records as I suspect that he has done this a lot and there are probably lots of bad reports in his file.

Essentially, he decided to give you a reckless driving ticket because you didn't bow down in front of him as a suppicant. My plan would be to do to him and the state police twice what they did to me.

But...again...I wouldn't have to hire a lawyer. In some jurisdictions, the judges are pretty reasonable but in others they are merely fine hogs. I don't know what the story is in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #98
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

I fail to see where it says the tickets have been dropped. It just says your complaint has been resolved through corrective action against the officer.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #99
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
This is NJ - that’s the state prescribed training and condoned practice for state troopers there - they illegally ticket, create dangerous situations and have the laws setup illegally & unconstitutional so you can’t even fight the bogus ticket. NJ state troopers tarnish the entire country’s police profession with their piss poor behavior, attitude and disgusting above-the-law practices.

I have been driving over 25 years throughout Northeast. I have ONE speeding ticket in 25 years. I got it at 3am in NJ driving on the highway in the right lane of a 2 lane highway. all by myself, not a car on the road. I was doing 60-65ish in cadillac. coming up from behind is a cop doing probably 120 mph and slams on his brakes next to me and dead stares me down through his passenger window, I look over a few times and smiled. he never payed attention to the road ahead of him, he was literally leaning over in the passenger seat staring me down. After the minute or two, he steps on his brakes, gets behind me then steps on the gas to the point where I swear he touched his front bumber to my rear bumper... so I sped up to get seperation - now I started to get scared as a young kid all alone on the highway at night with an aggressive cop intimidating me... he then began to swerve behind me and surge.. so I sped up a bit more... he did this f'ing with me for about 3 miles. at this point I was probably now doing 70mph ... he then flipped on his lights and pulled me over... I debated and was so close to not pulling over and getting to a public place but ended up pulling over as he broadcasted "Pull the F over" in a violently aggressive voice.

His was the biggest A-hole I ever spoke to, he insulted me and berated me - I just shut up and got my ticket fearful for way worse if I even opened my mouth.

I got out of there with 2 or 3 tickets, can't remember, but one was speeding 80mph which I never came close to, and one or two other technicals.

Being young naive and feeling I was in the right - I decided to fight the ticket - and that's when I discovered NJ has a fantastic law to prevent ticket fighting. When you go to court, if the cop doesn't show up in NJ to speak to the ticket, you get rescheduled (not dismissed). So of course he didn't show, then I have to come back in 2 months (200 mile trip)... I go the second time, he doesn't show again. the judge rules to reschedule - when I was getting my 3rd date the court clerk says "You know this will never end right? how about you pay double the fine in cash right now and we'll settle it, no points"

I paid and got the hell out of NJ - and never drove through NJ again, always went NY route to PA and beyond.

there's a reason NJ is the armpit of the northeast.

Sidebar to the story - that drive I was returning from taking a PA state trooper police exam, that was my chosen profession - after this whole incident I gave up and said if that's the police life, I want no part of it... Cut bait on 2 years of law enforcement education and training and switched professions.

I'd met a lot of people and friends with similar NJ trooper stories... this is a well known practice. NY along RT-17 from middletown to binghamton has a similar history and is known as the highest revenue generating stretch of road in the country (according to law enforcement records) but it's gotten better the past decade.
Should have slammed your brakes on
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #100
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I fail to see where it says the tickets have been dropped. It just says your complaint has been resolved through corrective action against the officer.
Well, the incident literally happened a year ago next week...
Appreciate 1
unluky7465.00