THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M2 Competition Impressions/Review from previous M240i Owner

09-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #1
Cactus_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

M2 Competition Impressions/Review from previous M240i Owner

Just wanted to share some thoughts for anyone here who may have an M240i and is looking at upgrading to an M2 Competition.

For some background, I previously owned a Mineral Gray 2018 M240i (automatic) from late 2017 until August of this year. Didn't go too crazy with mods - deleted the resonators and got the Dinan axle-back to replace the stock muffler. Put 22ple HPC ceramic on the car around when I got it and never refreshed it. Xpel Prime XR tint on side and rear windows. Installed the ASD bypass harness as well. Otherwise, the car was pretty much left stock. I am in the DFW area and do most of my driving on local roads and highways - occasionally drive out to some curvy roads up past McKinney and in Austin.

In August, I picked up a brand new DCT M2 Competition in Hockenheim Silver and have put about 1500 miles on it so far. Installed the ASD bypass harness. Have an AA EL resonated midpipe on the way and planning to swap out the muffler in the near future as well. PPF on front bumper and Kamikaze Miyabi ceramic on the whole car. Xpel Prime XR Plus tint on all the windows.

Here are some initial thoughts/comparisons:

Exterior:

It's not nearly as obvious in pictures or videos, but in person the M2 looks much more aggressive and just overall better in my opinion.

Rear haunches are massive and really widen the stance of the car visually. Front bumper also has much wider grilles and better angles - in my opinion the M240i front bumper design is starting to look a bit aged in comparison. In the rear, the M2's diffuser looks more aggressive as well and curves down on each side, accentuating the width.

To me, the wheels and brakes are a significant upgrade visually. I had the black wheels on the M240i and got the dark 788m on the M2. I never really liked the 788m when seeing online, but they look much better in person. They fill up the wheel well much better than the M240i wheels did and are pretty much flush with the edges of the rear fenders. There is also much more depth/concavity to the M2 wheels - coupled with the giant brake discs and silver brakes gives a really nice look.

I have always been a dark car guy but decided to give Hockenheim Silver a shot. I really like chalk/nardo gray esque colors and thought this would be pretty close, but it's definitely a lot lighter in color than chalk/nardo, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. The color looks amazing, is unique to the M2 Competition, and is very dynamic. In bright sunlight, the metallic on the paint really pops and it's more of a dazzling silver (also accentuated by ceramic coat). At night, and in cloudier conditions, the paint looks more pastel/flat and is closer to that stealthier chalk color. No regrets on my end color-wise.

Interior:

Interior is pretty much identical to the M240i. The only major upgrade is the seats. I had the Oyster Sensatec seats in the M240i and opted for the orange stitching for the M2c. The M2 seats look much more premium, and the glowing M2 logo is a really nice touch. I always thought the M240i seats were insanely soft and comfortable, and my first thought when I sat in the M2c was that it wasn't as soft, but still very supportive. Makes sense as the M2c seats are sportier and have more aggressive bolstering. I wish the M2c offered different color options for the seats (I like light interiors), but no complaints from a comfort perspective. The M2c steering wheel is slightly different from the M240i's, but overall feels very similar (although the paddle shifters definitely feel more meaty and tactile on the M2). I personally hate the fatter steering wheels BMW is putting on the newer cars. Not much else to comment on interior-wise.

Drivetrain (Engine/Transmission):

The S55 (M2c) feels like a significant upgrade over the B58 (M240i) in a few key areas. The B58 would generally have a huge shove of torque around 2000-3500rpm, and always felt like it ran out of breath as you pushed pass that range and closer to redline. In contrast, the S55 continues pulling as you hit 6-6.5k and feels much better to wring out to redline. The buildup of power in the S55 also feels a bit more linear and less spiky when you reach that initial wave of torque in the low 2k-2.5k range. Not sure if this is due to the twin-turbo setup (rather than just the single turbo on the M240i), or just due to the tuning of the engine/transmission, but the M2c acceleration feels astoundingly smooth and linear for a twin-turbo car. Overall, the M240i doesn't feel like it is a lot slower, just that it is lacking power in higher bands of the rev range.

I also came into the M2c expecting the DCT to be significantly faster than the ZF8 in the M240i, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. The ZF8 is actually very impressive in my opinion and probably shifts 80-90% as quickly as the DCT. In lower gears, the ZF8 is much smoother, whereas the DCT will be a little more jerky (especially in 1st). In automatic driving around town, it would be pretty hard to notice the differences between both gearboxes. Where it becomes more apparent is when you are pushing the car and aggressively shifting up/down manually - the DCT almost feels like it shifts before you hit the paddle and the jump is instantaneous. The sound when shifting is also noticeably more dramatic, and I hope will that will be magnified once I get some exhaust upgrades on the M2c.

The DCT also has a few quirks, which you will quickly notice when just driving around a parking lot. It takes a lot longer to switch between Drive, Neutral, and Reverse (almost an entire second after you push the shifter), whereas the ZF8 was almost instant. There is also no dedicated Park mode on the DCT, and you need to shut off the car in Drive to put it in Park, or put the car in Neutral and use it in combination with the handbrake. The ZF8 is definitely more intuitive and quicker, but the DCT shifter feels really nice and tactile, and I don't mind the quirks. Lastly, the DCT does not inch forward when you take your foot off the brake, and you need to push the accelerator even just to inch the car forwards or backwards in a parking lot.

Steering/Handling/Suspension:

In my opinion, this area is where the most noticeable and significant upgrades are.

Steering - M240i had pretty good steering feel and weight. Not a ton of feedback, but felt very quick and responsive. Biggest drawback was that the steering had quite a large deadzone on-center. Makes it easy to keep the car going straight, but made driving the car at higher speeds feel very floaty/vague in the steering wheel. Massive improvement in the M2c - deadzone is gone, more feedback in the steering wheel, and still very responsive and sharp. M2c steering weight in comfort is just a bit heavier than M240i comfort mode weight. Both have adjustable steering weights via driving modes. In the short time I've had the M2c, it feels like the M240i actually has a better turning radius, as I have overshot some parking spots in the M2c - but maybe the car is just wider.

Handling - Don't have too much to say here as I have not really had the opportunity to drive the M2c on any curvy roads or on a track yet. Just driving around town and on highways, the M2 is noticeably stiffer and the turn-in is incredibly sharp and easy. It almost feels like you're not turning any weight at all, whereas on the M240i you can definitely feel the weight of the engine a bit more when swinging around a corner. I'd like to attribute this to the carbon fiber strut brace across the M2c engine, but I'm sure it's a combination of a lot of chassis tuning/upgrades. M240i still handles phenomenally in my opinion. I have had the opportunity to test drive both a C63 and RS5 and the M240i felt less sloppy and turned better than both in my experience.

Suspension - very impressed with the upgrades here, will do my best to put my thoughts into words. The M240i has adjustable dampers, which you can switch between two modes via the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ settings. M2c has opted for traditional fixed shocks/springs, so cannot be adjusted at all. Although I thought it would be a downgrade to lose the ability to adjust the suspension stiffness, I am actually very happy with how the M2c suspension feels. The M2c is definitely stiffer, and you can definitely feel the bumps more on the uneven roads around my apartment. However, the M2c suspension feels more "sophisticated" to me and does a better job of soaking up large bumps/potholes. On the road leading up to my apartment, there is a big pothole followed by a large bump in the road that I would always avoid in the M240i. When you went over them, it would result in a huge jolt in the car and usually scare the shit out of the passenger. However, in the M2c, I have driven over both the pothole and bump, and it feels a lot more muffled/dampened - not at all alarming like the M240i. I'll stop rambling here and just try to summarize by saying that the M240i suspension feels softer and less bumpy in general (and you can adjust to your taste), but the M2c suspension gives me much more confidence and has a more sophisticated and sorted feel. May be partially due to the car being wider/tires being fatter.

Sound:

Won't harp on this too much as sound is very subjective.

M240i's B58 engine sounds really good. It was pretty much perfect for me after deleting resonators, getting the Dinan axle-back, and doing the ASD bypass harness. Very nice cold-start that sounded aggressive but not obnoxious. Interior is fairly quiet with the windows up but you can still hear the acceleration quite easily when you put your foot down. If you roll the windows down, the car really came alive and made WOT and upshifting/downshifting really fun (B58 burbled and farted a lot). Almost perfect for my tastes.

M2c definitely does not sound the best when stock. S55 engine is not nearly as sonorous and definitely has a bit of a lawnmower sound, but it is not as bad in person as it is in videos. I actually think it sounds pretty good, just not as good as a B58 or N55. Hoping to rectify this with the AA EL midpipe. Stock volume is much louder than M240i stock, but still not loud enough for my taste at the moment. Will update on this area once I have some upgrades.

Closing thoughts:

I wrote way more than I initially planned to so totally understand if you couldn't be bothered to read all of it. In summary, I think the M2 Competition is a great upgrade from an M240i. Although most reviewers praise the S55 engine upgrade as the most significant change, I personally think the most valuable changes were in the chassis, suspension, and steering upgrades. Overall, almost everything on the M2 Competition is better than on the M240i and I think it is well worth the price difference. I almost would have paid the extra 15k for the improved looks alone (those giant rear fenders hehe).

Thanks for reading - feel free to pm or comment any questions you have on specifics.
Appreciate 6
      09-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Enjoy it man! Can't wait to get one in a couple years when prices drop
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Nice review but no pics??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Thanks for the write up comparison! I'm hoping to upgrade to the M2C from my 235i in a year or two for the same reasons you mentioned were the biggest upgrades. I'm just northeast of Dallas as well, so I don't get to use my car to handle turns too often either unless I go to the places you mentioned. Oh! And I echo to request for pictures!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Thanks for your very informative ownership impressions on both. This confirms why I would not like an M2 mostly because of the fat fenders, the harsh ride and the outdated and questionable N55 reliability. The only real positive in the M2 favor seems a better steering related to wider tires and suspension bits.

I am not convinced it's really worth a $15K premium if used as a daily driver. Of course this is just my opinion
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Thanks for a good detailed review. I have driven the M2C on a closed short track during the M days and it will handle every bit of the curves. My former F23 M235 would have had a rough time on that track.

I opted for a Z4 M40 over the M2c because the later is not a drop top.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Thanks for your very informative ownership impressions on both. This confirms why I would not like an M2 mostly because of the fat fenders, the harsh ride and the outdated and questionable N55 reliability. The only real positive in the M2 favor seems a better steering related to wider tires and suspension bits.

I am not convinced it's really worth a $15K premium if used as a daily driver. Of course this is just my opinion
M2 comp doesn't have an n55, and why would wide fenders be a bad thing, I'd say the wide rear of the m2 is what makes it look so good.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The N55 varient used in the 2016-2018 M2 and 2014-2016 M235 is stout and quite reliable.

The S55 is marvel too but the crank hub does give me pause when considering the M cars with that motor.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The N55 varient used in the 2016-2018 M2 and 2014-2016 M235 is stout and quite reliable.

The S55 is marvel too but the crank hub does give me pause when considering the M cars with that motor.
That was my point, it also has various leaks problems. This would make me nervous.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22leo View Post
M2 comp doesn't have an n55, and why would wide fenders be a bad thing, I'd say the wide rear of the m2 is what makes it look so good.
I am not just a fan of bloated body lines to the excess and the M2 is in my opinion. For me, the 240 just look right being small and nimble without pretensions.
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That was my point, it also has various leaks problems. This would make me nervous.
Are you confusing then N55 and S55 motors? Elaborate on these leak problems too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #12
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Are you confusing then N55 and S55 motors? Elaborate on these leak problems too.
Just do a basic search and you will find numerous gasket leaks from both engines sharing the same block. The most serious issue is of course the crank hub design flaw and this is quite a job to fix.

There are many YouTube videos on the engine teardown process and this is a major overhaul. This is an outdated engine that will be out of production.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
NateEsq.
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Thanks for the review. I looked very seriously at the M2C, and ultimate purchased a '21 M240i. I decided that, while I do really love the wide body, the performance (particular the gains in handling and power) are not something I need in a daily driver in Southern California. I find the 240i to be plenty entertaining when I really get on it on public roads. I do intend on larger wheels with a flush fit to make the car look less pedestrian, that's really my biggest gripe on the 240i. Maybe springs, but I'm not sure how Dinan or H&R's play with the OEM shock/strut setup long term. I don't want to damage those, or cause leaks.

I love the B58 sound (everyone does, it seems) but I'm a single dude and find that aftermarket exhausts make for less than romantic cruises down PCH at midnight with the sunroof open. Honestly, this is my #1 reason for not modifying the exhaust, lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #14
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I wish BMW would take a page from Porsche's book where the wider 911 Turbo body is available on certain non 911 Turbo models, and offer the 230i with the narrow body and the M240, M2 with the wider body, the difference would be engine, suspension and brakes and seats / interior trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_M2C View Post

Exterior:

Rear haunches are massive and really widen the stance of the car visually. Front bumper also has much wider grilles and better angles - in my opinion the M240i front bumper design is starting to look a bit aged in comparison. In the rear, the M2's diffuser looks more aggressive as well and curves down on each side, accentuating the width.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      09-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I wish BMW would take a page from Porsche's book where the wider 911 Turbo body is available on certain non 911 Turbo models, and offer the 230i with the narrow body and the M240, M2 with the wider body, the difference would be engine, suspension and brakes and seats / interior trim.
That would be a prudent move for both OEM and customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just do a basic search and you will find numerous gasket leaks from both engines sharing the same block. The most serious issue is of course the crank hub design flaw and this is quite a job to fix.

There are many YouTube videos on the engine teardown process and this is a major overhaul. This is an outdated engine that will be out of production.
Yes, the crank hub is a potential issue on the S55. The S55s can also have coolant leakage from the air/liquid intercooler into the cylinders.

The N55s that predate 2014 can have rod bearing issues (the 2014+ N55s use S55 rod bearing and rods).

The B58 has issues with it's plasma coated cylinder bores. If that ultra thin layer of coating is lost (usually to super knock or excessive fuel from a leaking injector), the block is done for. The B58s also suffer from phantom coolant loss (sometimes attributed to a failing turbo or intercooler; see S55 matter above) and PCV issues which cause oil burning/smoking.

As they age, all N55s, S55s, and B58s have the common BMW oil leaking issues with the valve cover, oil pan gasket, and oil filter housing gaskets.
      09-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #17
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Good to know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #18
selbyp93
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Great review, thanks! Looking to get one soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

That is an interesting take on it. The M2C does make a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #20
RGM330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 228i Gran Coupe

Thanks for the comparison review. Always helpful when a person has owned both and can give a direct compare. I have a 2018 M240i and had considered an M2. But, decided on the 240i as a preferred daily driver. The comments here by others directionally match where my head was in the decision. As a brief aside......I had a similar dilemna with Porche Caymans. I owned a 2008 Cayman S and traded it in on a 2012 Cayman R. Firgured the additional HP, race oriented suspension, LSD et al would make it a dream to drive. After a few thousand miles, I actually traded it in for a 2014 Cayman. I found that, as a daily driver with spirited driving, I preferred the less race oriented car.
Appreciate 3