THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning I live in Arizona and require an emissions test. How can i pass with a catless dp?

08-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

I live in Arizona and require an emissions test. How can i pass with a catless dp?

Hey guys so i live in AZ and i have a catless dp and require an emissions test. I was wondering how i can pass without having to get my stock one put back in? I was thinking of flashing back to stock with my BM3 tune but configure it to turn the CEL off.

Let me know what i should do!

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
rmik88
Rep
Drives: m235i

You should pass if they dont do a physical inspection of the cat. Just disable the cel via bootmod3 and take it in. If they do a physical inspection then you need a cat. maybe a highflow. In CT, all they do is put my car on the scanner and send me off.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_f22 View Post
Hey guys so i live in AZ and i have a catless dp and require an emissions test. I was wondering how i can pass without having to get my stock one put back in? I was thinking of flashing back to stock with my BM3 tune but configure it to turn the CEL off.

Thank you
I assume they plug in to the OBD port? When they do, at that point you will fail. Even though you have the CEL disabled, the car's emission system is not in a ready state. That is due to the background faults/cel codes being caused by lack of proper catalytic converter in the car.

Again, you may not show a CEL but that does not mean the system is in a smog ready state. Only fail-proof option is to get the oem cat back on a few weeks before and load up the stock tune. This should be ample time to make sure the car runs all its system checks before you take it in.
      09-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
Quote:

Thank you
I assume they plug in to the OBD port? When they do, at that point you will fail. Even though you have the CEL disabled, the car's emission system is not in a ready state. That is due to the background faults/cel codes being caused by lack of proper catalytic converter in the car.

Again, you may not show a CEL but that does not mean the system is in a smog ready state. Only fail-proof option is to get the oem cat back on a few weeks before and load up the stock tune. This should be ample time to make sure the car runs all its system checks before you take it in.
so should i just put my stock cat back in? do i have to fully wait 2 weeks? or can i go after a few days after i swap it back?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
g80_nick
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
Quote:

Thank you

even if i relock the DME?
Appreciate 0