THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Suspension Direction Question for my 228i -

07-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
khcoaching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE

Suspension Direction Question for my 228i -

Question for everyone here on my 228i, which sees a fair amount of track use. Currently, the car is basically stock suspension wise. It did come with the ZTR brakes and suspension package from the factory and works well upgraded brake pads, fluid and GC camber plates with an aggressive track alignment, but that's it. Oh, and, a square setup of 245/35/18s on P4s tires. (Edit - the stock suspension has 68k miles)

The car gets used in my on track coaching business and quite honestly, works amazingly well. The suspension is soft (really soft) offering a lot of feedback, and safety, it's just not very fast lap time wise. The car is going to get relocated to the East Coast, where I'll be playing with it more myself and a few of my more capable students will be using it, hence me wanting to do look at a slight upgrade. (I already have a 2021 SS 1LE as my personal track car and I understand it will never be that, nor do I want it as that)

So.....budget friendly upgrade ideas? I wasn't thinking coilovers ($$) or anything too aggressive as it will see quite a few 3-4hr commutes to East Coast tracks from my base. Note - I could be talked into a coilover system that is semi inexpensive, but isn't a POS. I also want to spend the money, once.

I saw 230iZTR comments on the Spec R springs and my thought was to get a set of those and that's it, or maybe some OE replacement EDC Bilsteins with those?

Thanks in advance!

Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by khcoaching; 07-24-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Question for everyone here on my 228i, which sees a fair amount of track use. Currently, the car is basically stock suspension wise. It did come with the ZTR brakes and suspension package from the factory and works well upgraded brake pads, fluid and GC camber plates with an aggressive track alignment, but that's it. Oh, and, a square setup of 245/35/18s on P4s tires. (Edit - the stock suspension has 68k miles)

The car gets used in my on track coaching business and quite honestly, works amazingly well. The suspension is soft (really soft) offering a lot of feedback, and safety, it's just not very fast lap time wise. The car is going to get relocated to the East Coast, where I'll be playing with it more myself and a few of my more capable students will be using it, hence me wanting to do look at a slight upgrade. (I already have a 2021 SS 1LE as my personal track car and I understand it will never be that, nor do I want it as that)

So.....budget friendly upgrade ideas? I wasn't thinking coilovers ($$) or anything too aggressive as it will see quite a few 3-4hr commutes to East Coast tracks from my base. Note - I could be talked into a coilover system that is semi inexpensive, but isn't a POS. I also want to spend the money, once.

I saw 230iZTR comments on the Spec R springs and my thought was to get a set of those and that's it, or maybe some OE replacement EDC Bilsteins with those?

Thanks in advance!

Ken
I'm afraid I can't help, as I always go pretty much all-in and don't have experience with the route you're taking. It would be great if you could locate a set of lightly-used coilovers that will fit your car.

Owning a 228 and an SS 1LE sounds like a terrific combination. Is the 1LE a Gen 6 model? I gave serious consideration to buying one for street/track use before I settled on what I was most familiar with: a 6-cylinder BMW.

What part of the East are you headed for? As you no doubt know, there are some outstanding tracks back there, ranging from pure handling tracks to high average speed tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
khcoaching
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I'm afraid I can't help, as I always go pretty much all-in and don't have experience with the route you're taking. It would be great if you could locate a set of lightly-used coilovers that will fit your car.

Owning a 228 and an SS 1LE sounds like a terrific combination. Is the 1LE a Gen 6 model? I gave serious consideration to buying one for street/track use before I settled on what I was most familiar with: a 6-cylinder BMW.

What part of the East are you headed for? As you no doubt know, there are some outstanding tracks back there, ranging from pure handling tracks to high average speed tracks.
The 228i is not -my- primary focus track car, that is why it is not an all out track build. The Camaro is my personal track car (it stays in WA state) and is a Gen6 (2021) SS 1LE and it has gobsmacking performance for near stock. I track a lot of BMWs (M3c/M2c) and quite honestly, it blows them away, even with them being lightly modified.

I'm in the DC area and spend quite a lot of time at Nelson Ledges and PITT, plus some NJMP. I want to hit Summit Point, plus a few others when I can.

Ken
Appreciate 1
dradernh4352.00
      07-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The 228i is not -my- primary focus track car, that is why it is not an all out track build. The Camaro is my personal track car (it stays in WA state) and is a Gen6 (2021) SS 1LE and it has gobsmacking performance for near stock. I track a lot of BMWs (M3c/M2c) and quite honestly, it blows them away, even with them being lightly modified.

I'm in the DC area and spend quite a lot of time at Nelson Ledges and PITT, plus some NJMP. I want to hit Summit Point, plus a few others when I can.

Ken
I'm not surprised the 1LE outruns the M-cars. Car and Driver's reviews of the car, their detailing of the car's track-focused features, and their Lightning Lap results are the reason I had it on my list. Having run mostly a very highly-developed 3.2-liter E36 on 255/40-17 tires, the 1LE's massive torque, foot-wide tires, electronic diff, etc. looked very attractive.

Do you have camber plates on the 1LE?

I really enjoyed Summit Point Main; it was my favorite handling track. If you get over there and happen to shoot some video, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only member who would enjoy viewing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
khcoaching
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I'm not surprised the 1LE outruns the M-cars. Car and Driver's reviews of the car, their detailing of the car's track-focused features, and their Lightning Lap results are the reason I had it on my list. Having run mostly a very highly-developed 3.2-liter E36 on 255/40-17 tires, the 1LE's massive torque, foot-wide tires, electronic diff, etc. looked very attractive.

Do you have camber plates on the 1LE?

I really enjoyed Summit Point Main; it was my favorite handling track. If you get over there and happen to shoot some video, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only member who would enjoy viewing it.
The 1LE is stock except for a GM track alignment and DOT4 fluid....You can get up to -3 in the front with just a little strut mod. Car is silly....I'll post up a graph with it against the M3 at some point.

Here's a video of the 1LE at The Ridge -

Ken
Appreciate 2
dradernh4352.00
      07-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

I run stock suspension as well with the EDC dampers. I noticed a fairly big improvement on track after having Dinan shockware installed. It remapped the stock EDC for the Sport + setting. It works great even with OE springs and is completely non-invasive, quick and easy.

Currently looking at these as a possible upgrade for springs. Stock ride height is a must for me. https://www.bmptuning.com/products/m...31296086442102
      07-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can get up to -3 in the front with just a little strut mod.
Well, that's a pretty darn nice feature to have, isn't it!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #8
khcoaching
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
I run stock suspension as well with the EDC dampers. I noticed a fairly big improvement on track after having Dinan shockware installed. It remapped the stock EDC for the Sport + setting. It works great even with OE springs and is completely non-invasive, quick and easy.

Currently looking at these as a possible upgrade for springs. Stock ride height is a must for me. https://www.bmptuning.com/products/m...31296086442102
Hmmm, maybe the Spec R springs and the Shockware?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
khcoaching
Private
Rep

Graph of the M3c vs the 1LE -

M3 has MC2 2 way, sway bars, square setup and control arms all around...Same driver. The front end grip of the 1LE is staggering compared to the M3....Also shows that the M3's power is underrated (as we know) compared to the lighter and same HP Camaro.

Ken
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #10
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Quote:
[...]
Note - I could be talked into a coilover system that is semi inexpensive, but isn't a POS. I also want to spend the money, once.

Ken
Woo! Thanks for the shoutout. I feel internet famous.

Anyways, I stand by the ZTR shocks being perfectly serviceable for entry-level hobby use. I like the Dinan shockware, and I'm sure the Bilsteins would only improve upon that.

The Swift Spec-R's are great. I'm really surprised that I seem to be the only person around here that has them. They're firm enough that I don't feel like the car's geometry is shifting wildly but its still compliant enough that I'm happy with how it drives on the street the other 99% of the time. It passes the girlfriend test. Really big speedbumps require slowing down, and I don't recommend hitting potholes...but that's sound life advice regardless of what springs you're running.

But if you're doing this professionally for income, the car sees a lot of track miles, and you actually care about your lap times...then you might really be the rare person that benefits significantly from going with coilovers. An entry-level kit - perhaps ST Suspensions STX or similar - would be rebuildable and can be corner-balanced. Your existing camber plates are probably a new spring perch away from being compatible with them. And they'll surely be more affordable to replace than an OEM EDC damper if one of your students hops the curb and stuffs the car into a barrier.

Edit: I see your data analysis software has categories for yaw, pitch, roll, etc. If you do end up swapping to the Swift Spec-R's I'd be really curious to see if your before/after data matches my instinct about spring stiffness or if its just a placebo because the car looks cooler lowered.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS

Last edited by 230iZTR; 07-28-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #11
Vroomtuber
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Graph of the M3c vs the 1LE -

M3 has MC2 2 way, sway bars, square setup and control arms all around...Same driver. The front end grip of the 1LE is staggering compared to the M3....Also shows that the M3's power is underrated (as we know) compared to the lighter and same HP Camaro.

Ken
Sway Bars are a pain to install, but sooooo worth it.
Appreciate 0