THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2022 M235i Tuning / Parts Question

08-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #1
nyates55
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M235i

2022 M235i Tuning / Parts Question

I have a 2022 M235i being built at the moment and am looking to put together a parts list for a slight tune.

I was looking at getting a new intake, intercooler, and really subtle tune. Can someone take a look at this list and tell me if everything will fit and what I may be able to expect HP wise? This is a daily driver and not going to be used on the track. The goal, I guess, is to get the highest performance boost without lowering the life of the engine or potentially causing any damage.

MAD BMW 5" STEPPED CORE F CHASSIS INTERCOOLER N20 N26 N55 1/2/3/4/M2

BMS Billet Intake for BMW F48 X1, F39 X2, F44 F46 2 Series, F40 1 Series (Transverse Engines)

B38/B46/B48/B58 JB Plus Quick Install Tuner

This is my first grown up car so to speak so I really appreciate your help / expertise.

Last edited by nyates55; 08-23-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

this list will not get you the most HP from your car, but it does not sound like that's what you are looking for anyways.

If you want a good power increase while keeping the budget to a minimum, these are the best mods you can get.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyates55 View Post
I have a 2022 M235i being built at the moment and am looking to put together a parts list for a slight tune.

I was looking at getting a new intake, intercooler, and really subtle tune. Can someone take a look at this list and tell me if everything will fit and what I may be able to expect HP wise? This is a daily driver and not going to be used on the track. The goal, I guess, is to get the highest performance boost without lowering the life of the engine or potentially causing any damage.

MAD BMW 5" STEPPED CORE F CHASSIS INTERCOOLER N20 N26 N55 1/2/3/4/M2

BMS Billet Intake for BMW F48 X1, F39 X2, F44 F46 2 Series, F40 1 Series (Transverse Engines)

B38/B46/B48/B58 JB Plus Quick Install Tuner

This is my first grown up car so to speak so I really appreciate your help / expertise.
I don’t recommend the MAD intercooler, no matter the budget or car. XHP sells a BMS intercooler for $3xx which will be more than enough for your needs.

I would also recommend something better than a piggy back, like the MHD tune setup - you can do the MHD S1 and make a solid 325whp/330wtq - that’s 25whp and 30wtq over stock.

Later on if you want more power, you can move to stage 2 and get 350whp, just by clicking a button. MHD also gives you the options to lchange the throttle, or even add more burbles.

Finally, if you must get one, the CTS Turbo intake will sound as good as any and give you even better drivability than the stock intake, and no CEL. Otherwise a AFE dryflow filter and (or) the M2/ BMW ‘M performance package’ box will provide 90% gains and more sound- you can find those for sale for 150+ bucks or so, and again - no CEL or drivability issues.

Honestly man, I know I gave you a parts list a few 100 over your original plan, but spending the extra will give you a measurable increase in performance and fun, and ultimately a more refined driving experience.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 08-23-2021 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
nyates55
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I don’t recommend the MAD intercooler, no matter the budget or car. XHP sells a BMS intercooler for $3xx which will be more than enough for your needs.
Sounds good, to be honest the only reason I was sold on the MAD was the fact that it was black and I thought if it showed through from the grill and was silver it would look tacky.

Quote:
I would also recommend something better than a piggy back, like the MHD tune setup - you can do the MHD S1 and make a solid 325whp/330wtq - that’s 25whp and 30wtq over stock.
I was concerned with this only because I have the car under warranty for 3 years or whatever it is. Is this something I can turn off easily when I take it in to get maintenance done? Also, under supported cars, it only lists M235i F2x N55 2013 - 2016. My 2022 is definitely newer than 2016. Know of any alternatives that work with the newer models?

Quote:
Finally, if you must get one, the CTS Turbo intake will sound as good as any and give you even better drivability than the stock intake, and no CEL. Otherwise a AFE dryflow filter and (or) the M2/ BMW ‘M performance package’ box will provide 90% gains and more sound- you can find those for sale for 150+ bucks or so, and again - no CEL or drivability issues.
When you say, if you must get one, I am taking that to mean it isn't necessary or overwhelmingly beneficial? I have no problem sticking with the stock one if it doesn't matter that much.

Quote:
Honestly man, I know I gave you a parts list a few 100 over your original plan, but spending the extra will give you a measurable increase in performance and fun, and ultimately a more refined driving experience.
I'm ok going a bit over, just want to make sure what I end up ordering are the ideal parts, for the right model year, that are safe to run year round, etc.

Also, again, thank you so much for the advice.

Last edited by nyates55; 08-24-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0