THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes JRZ RS-One enough?

08-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

JRZ RS-One enough?

Anybody running these in either sport or touring setups? There aren’t as many reviews out there for these as there are for Bilstein, KW, Ohlins, etc.

I am planning on continuing to run my 228i as double duty commuter/track car for the next couple years until retiring it as a daily and doing a more dedicated track build.

Would the RS-One Sport dampers be compliant enough to daily but durable and customizable enough to eventually use competitively in motorsport like NASA touring class? I know most of that comes down to driver mod but I’m just wondering if I should save my penny’s for a more aggressive setup in a couple years and live out the life of the EDC stock dampers in the meantime.

I like that Apex taxi at the Nurburgring runs JRZ on most of their cars. Those guys know what they’re doing from the looks of it and I’ve come to trust the information from Robert and Misha. I’m pretty sold on going with JRZ but would really appreciate any feedback from people who have run them on our platform.
      08-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Probably.

But if you can get a set of KW Clubsport, Bilstein Clubsport, or even MCS Two-Way or Ohlins R&T with Vorshlag plates for the same money or less with a whole extra level of adjustability, I would look at the JRZs last.

I can almost guarantee you that no one on this forum has experience with JRZ and another brand on the same chassis, let alone the same car. Tons of excellent feedback on KW, Bilstein, MCS, and Ohlins for track-dedicated cars, though.

Also, keep in mind that although APEX knows what they're doing and many reputable people recommend JRZ, an equivalent amount of equally qualified individuals, teams, and groups will recommend KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, MCS, Nitron, etc.

Last edited by Sail Boat; 08-17-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

What are the rules for NASA touring? Do they restrict the number of damper adjustments or assign more points for more adjustment and that's why you're looking at 1-way instead of the more typical 2 or 3-way dampers used in motorsports?

Anyways, my understanding is that all of the high end suspension manufacturers are licensing the same few sets of patents for their valves, adjusters, etc and have similarly excellent quality control, and the industry is small and specialized enough that its really only a handful of principal engineers or their proteges (e.g. MCS was founded by former Moton and JRZ staff). So the quality between them all is very close, and the thing that will set them apart is how convenient it is for you to work with the engineers to get the product that's right for you based on proximity, communication style, etc.

Cost no object, go with Multimatic. They're dominating the touring car and formula racing world right now.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0