THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Taking the plunge: Dinan springs and ride kit

08-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #45
farshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Yeah, fixing the car's very mediocre stock audio is a money pit. Much as I like good audio in cars, I have chosen to put up with the stock setup in order to have the resources for performance mods. You will continue to love the car even on stock springs but now that I have done both springs and the tune, I have come to the conclusion that these two mods are what turns the 228i with THP into a sports car.
Curious how much was the Dinan Stage 1 tune? You got this done at the dinan certified tuner you recommended right?

I was wondering if you were recommending to never go to the dealership for a DINAN activity/task.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #46
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshman View Post
Curious how much was the Dinan Stage 1 tune? You got this done at the dinan certified tuner you recommended right?

I was wondering if you were recommending to never go to the dealership for a DINAN activity/task.

Thanks.
FWIW, BarryJI last posted on this forum on March 19, 2019, so he may not see your post.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #47
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:

Thanks.
The S1 tune cost me $1688 in 2015.

Yes, I would always use Avus or other high-end tuning shop vs. the dealership. For the dealership it's a revenue source and I am not at all sure how well trained their techs are to install Dinan hardware and software. At a tuning shop you actually get to meet the tech who does the installation; it's just a different level of accountability. I had a lot of work done on this car; not just the tune but a Dinan high-performance suspension, Dinan Shockware to remap the shocks, a performance exhaust, 20mm spacers all round...I just can't imagine entrusting a dealership service dept. with any of that!

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #48
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
FWIW, BarryJI last posted on this forum on March 19, 2019, so he may not see your post.
I get email alerts when people respond to ancient threads!

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      08-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #49
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I get email alerts when people respond to ancient threads!
Ai-yahhhhhhh!!!!! Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #50
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Ai-yahhhhhhh!!!!! Sorry!
No prob!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #51
farshman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The S1 tune cost me $1688 in 2015.

Yes, I would always use Avus or other high-end tuning shop vs. the dealership. For the dealership it's a revenue source and I am not at all sure how well trained their techs are to install Dinan hardware and software. At a tuning shop you actually get to meet the tech who does the installation; it's just a different level of accountability. I had a lot of work done on this car; not just the tune but a Dinan high-performance suspension, Dinan Shockware to remap the shocks, a performance exhaust, 20mm spacers all round...I just can't imagine entrusting a dealership service dept. with any of that!
Awesome thanks, were there any technical issues with it after all these years or still going like day 1?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #52
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thanks, were there any technical issues with it after all these years or still going like day 1?
You mean with the tune or the car? Well, both have been absolutely flawless. No technical issues at all. The tune is worth every penny because it is refined; it has woken the car up significantly but without excessive wear and tear on engine components or compromising the sophistication of the BMW. It’s a great tune for the street, which is just fine for me as I have never had any intention of tracking the car. You can go cheaper and/or more aggressive but I don’t want to turn my 2-Series into a drag racer. I think the combination of the S1 and the Dinan performance suspension have completely transformed a car that’s decent enough stock but a little sedate without good mods. I still get a huge kick out of driving it every day; it’s very quick and very torquey.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #53
farshman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mean with the tune or the car? Well, both have been absolutely flawless. No technical issues at all. The tune is worth every penny because it is refined; it has woken the car up significantly but without excessive wear and tear on engine components or compromising the sophistication of the BMW. It’s a great tune for the street, which is just fine for me as I have never had any intention of tracking the car. You can go cheaper and/or more aggressive but I don’t want to turn my 2-Series into a drag racer. I think the combination of the S1 and the Dinan performance suspension have completely transformed a car that’s decent enough stock but a little sedate without good mods. I still get a huge kick out of driving it every day; it’s very quick and very torquey.
I meant the tune - but curious, what route will be cheaper and more aggressive? I thought that tune you did was best street bang for the buck

thanks so much for the responses, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #54
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant the tune - but curious, what route will be cheaper and more aggressive? I thought that tune you did was best street bang for the buck

thanks so much for the responses, cheers.
I don’t know a lot about these pants-on-fire tunes but there was certainly much debate, here and elsewhere, involving folks who felt that the Dinan tunes were either too expensive or not aggressive enough. Some of these guys could be spotted later in other threads seeking help for a host of ugly problems caused by cheap or track-orientated tunes. Of course, each to his own taste and I am in no position to judge but I would hate to ruin a new BMW in this way, especially if it’s my DD.

Last edited by BarryJI; 08-13-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #55
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know much about these pants-on-fire tunes but there was certainly much debate, here and elsewhere, involving folks who felt that the Dinan tunes were either too expensive or not aggressive enough. Some of these guys could be spotted later in other threads seeking help for a host of ugly problems caused by cheap or track-orientated tunes. Of course, each to his own taste and I am in no position to judge but I would hate to ruin a new BMW in this way, especially if it’s my DD.
I had a race car with a Motec M880 ECU that required a trained professional to tune it. I asked him the order of criteria he used to do the tune, and it was: reliability, performance, and mileage. This was a top Northeast Motec tuner, one who would fly in to help if you needed him.

I went with Dinan for reliability. Performance? The car's already arrest-me-now quick on the street. Mileage? The B58 has insane mileage for its power and weight. (I'm speaking here as someone who ran a '64 Olds 98, which got 6 MPG when I was leaning on it. However, the Olds could get 11 MPG while steady-state cruising at 60 MPH. At the time, fuel was under 25 cents/gallon, so mileage wasn't much of an issue. Even better, when necessary, the car could sleep six. ).
Appreciate 3
WolfGTI716.00
aerobod3625.50
Rollo`124.00
      08-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #56
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looking to lower my car eventually, which shop installed the springs for you in Los Angeles?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #57
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
Looking to lower my car eventually, which shop installed the springs for you in Los Angeles?
Avus, in Glendale. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0