THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Clutch stop or Universal clutch pedal (Manual)

07-20-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Clutch stop or Universal clutch pedal (Manual)

Just wanting to see what everyone's seem to have done with their manual 2 series? I'm coming from learning off a stage 2 focus rs clutch and driving that for a year. Recently got my hands on a '17 m240i manual, and after about 2 months I would like to adjust something with it. The clutch feel is way different between the two cars, and I am not sure I enjoy the bmw feel as much. I feel there's too much deadspace but is there a reason to spend the extra $ for the clutch pedal upgrade? Or is the simple ECS clutch stop more than enough to show a positive difference. My other issue is I also am stock clutch on stage 2+ BM3 map, very fun. I felt the clutch related issues though with dead space and unneeded travel when I first got the car. Whats everyone using with their manuals to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I put in a $10 clutch stop - works great for what it's intended for.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 2
Resoelg244.00
      07-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Used to be able to just remove the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) on earlier models. In these cars it is built into the slave cylinder, but still doable with a bit more work. Apparently makes a significant difference. Here is a how-to for F30 but F22 is the same.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486773
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #4
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you both for feedback, if I can get away with just the clutch stop (although you have to drill into the pedal) it’s cheap and seems simple to install. The Pedal looks great but I would just prefer not to spend 300 to adjust unless someone tells me it’s too worth it to not get.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 08:58 AM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

The clutch stop replaces an existing rubber nub behind the pedal. No drilling. I don't have experience with the ultimate pedal but I found the clutch stop bumper to be good enough for me.

I followed Kern's CDV youtube video and it worked out well, used a screw to extract the restriction plate and rubber.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 06:55 PM   #6
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The clutch stop replaces an existing rubber nub behind the pedal. No drilling. I don't have experience with the ultimate pedal but I found the clutch stop bumper to be good enough for me.

I followed Kern's CDV youtube video and it worked out well, used a screw to extract the restriction plate and rubber.
I must’ve seen a bad video showing how to install the stop, in the one i saw he drilled into the the pedal i believe it around there to have it sit in place. Saw the video a bit ago but I didn’t know Kern had one up relating to the clutch stop, appreciate you letting me know that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Had my 235i for 3 years now, definitely has a longgggg clutch pedal with a lot of dead space. Have thought about doing the clutch stop, but I am used to what I have now. For a few bucks though, might be worth giving it a shot.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #8
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

My bad, the Kern video I was referring to the clutch delay valve. He does other great clips as well.

Re: the clutch stop, you can see where it is in this video... @ 1:19 seconds

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._&opi=89978449
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 07:37 PM   #9
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Used to be able to just remove the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) on earlier models. In these cars it is built into the slave cylinder, but still doable with a bit more work. Apparently makes a significant difference. Here is a how-to for F30 but F22 is the same.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486773
CDV delete made little difference for me, but the M240i is/was my first manual car and the manual I learned on, so I could've learned how to work around it sufficiently without even noticing. If you ever have clutch slip between gears on aggressive shifts, this will cure it 75% in my experience. I also used to have moments where the car would behave a little different than I expected and cause a bog or rough shift, which I think were attributed to the CDV. It's probably not going to change your world, though.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #10
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
CDV delete made little difference for me, but the M240i is/was my first manual car and the manual I learned on, so I could've learned how to work around it sufficiently without even noticing. If you ever have clutch slip between gears on aggressive shifts, this will cure it 75% in my experience. I also used to have moments where the car would behave a little different than I expected and cause a bog or rough shift, which I think were attributed to the CDV. It's probably not going to change your world, though.
I have noticed those odd rough shifts/ slight bogs that happen on occasion. Usually for me it's when I am in low gears. I've learned to work around it but I have noticed that sometimes I can't do anything but cringe.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You can make a clutch stop with some 3M double-sided tape a rubber stopper you put on chair legs to keep them from sliding/scratching the floor.

I've had the adjustable Ultimate Clutch Pedal (UCP) for 6 years. It lowers the resting point of the clutch pedal to be fractionally below the brake pedal, effectively shortening the clutch pedal throw. The UCP is also adjustable for weight. It's a great part that fixes many of the OEM clutch pedal's ills.

I've had a non-CDV slave cylinder sitting in my garage for 2 years. I need to do the install as my biggest compliant with the clutch system on this car is the CDV which causes the catch point to move around which is super annoying to someone that has driven manuals for 3 decades. My Cayman's clutch catch point is perfect.
      07-26-2023, 01:28 PM   #12
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You can make a clutch stop with some 3M double-sided tape a rubber stopper you put on chair legs to keep them from sliding/scratching the floor.

I've had the adjustable Ultimate Clutch Pedal (UCP) for 6 years. It lowers the resting point of the clutch pedal to be fractionally below the brake pedal, effectively shortening the clutch pedal throw. The UCP is also adjustable for weight. It's a great part that fixes many of the OEM clutch pedal's ills.

I've had a non-CDV slave cylinder sitting in my garage for 2 years. I need to do the install as my biggest compliant with the clutch system on this car is the CDV which causes the catch point to move around which is super annoying to someone that has driven manuals for 3 decades. My Cayman's clutch catch point is perfect.
Thank you for input, would you say the one thing that is limiting the car for you now is just the CDV? or does the pedal and clutch stop help or make a general difference. My biggest issue is going 1-2 and 2-3 i feel the clutch grab is off more time than not
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
Thank you for input, would you say the one thing that is limiting the car for you now is just the CDV? or does the pedal and clutch stop help or make a general difference. My biggest issue is going 1-2 and 2-3 i feel the clutch grab is off more time than not
The clutch stop makes gauging the catch point slightly easier. It is a worthwhile mod but don't get too aggressive with the stop thickness as it can cause shifting issues as it may not allow the clutch to disengage fully.

The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on these cars can be hard to make smooth. I've learned that revving out to at least 3500-4000rpms makes a big difference in making for smoother, more consistent shifts. Try that. These 6MTs don't like to be short shifted.
      07-26-2023, 01:41 PM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
Read from Post #33 forward.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1945589
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #15
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The clutch stop makes gauging the catch point slightly easier. It is a worthwhile mod but don't get too aggressive with the stop thickness as it can cause shifting issues as it may not allow the clutch to disengage fully.

The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on these cars can be hard to make smooth. I've learned that revving out to at least 3500-4000rpms makes a big difference in making for smoother, more consistent shifts. Try that. These 6MTs don't like to be short shifted.
I’ve noticed when I do shift towards 3k RPM (lower gear) it does shift way better and doesn’t feel clunky, I will try up to 4k rpms next time I drive it. Thanks for your feedback man really helps me out !
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 08:20 PM   #16
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Thank you for sharing this thread.
Appreciate 0