THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i as a first car?

07-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #1
freilyyy
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

M235i as a first car?

I'm looking into a 2016 bmw m235i and i would like to know everyones opinion on it being a first car , I've done a lot of research on the n55 engine and it seems to be decently reliable , the car has 37k miles and it is AWD with x-drive , i also do live in upstate new york so that should be taken into the consideration with the opinion , don't hold back either , if you believe it shouldn't be my first car then tell me and why it shouldn't be , it would also be my daily driver and i do have access to a lift since my godfather is a mechanic and i would be able to work on the car myself with his help , thank you for the opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Great car, plenty of power to play. Leave stock or can mod. 240i prices are down, you may be able to get one for close to same price now. I was fortunate to save a bunch over 240 last fall, so went that direction, but prices down now, leases up etc on 240i. Maint. is more $$ unless you do yourself..not too hard for fluids, or find solid local shop can save $$. If you can find CPO bonus. Change upper chargepipe if hasn't been, plastic and blows stock.

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 07-22-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Terrible first car. It will spoil you for anything else, and you'll end up one of those grouchy old guys who's constantly bitching that they don't make 'em right anymore. But seriously, the big drawback I'd see is that the parts can (will) be expensive, and many procedures need special tools or knowhow - a thorough PPI is a very good idea. Where in NY are you (I'm in Syracuse)?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

We don't really know enough about you to offer the soundest advice, so I'll make some assumptions. 1) It may be your first car, but you're not a new driver. For a new driver, I would suggest a more modest performer and taller as a new driver will very likely make a mistake that may put them in harm's way, and a different type of vehicle will be helpful to ensure survival. The performance level of a M235i is more than I suggest for a driving novice, increasing the likelihood of driver error. 2) Economics are not an obstacle. I realize you are asking about a used car, so budget vs. new may be a factor. However, I also assume you realize that you are buying into among the more expensive brands to maintain and repair over time. You need to believe that the driving pleasure meanwhile will justify the additional cost over maintaining something Japanese or Korean and I assume you can afford that, possibly with your own DIY skills. 3) You are not overly dazzled by XDrive. In upstate NY, you will need to set aside $$ for dedicated winter tires. XDrive will help you get moving somewhat better, but no benefit when you need to stop/turn...that's the tires saving your life and car, and you will need winters.
4) You have found out the selling dealer, checked the maintenance history with their service department, and the seller to you is also providing maintenance history and Carfax. 5) You are meeting the seller at a bodyshop for an expert walkaround/inspection.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freilyyy View Post
I'm looking into a 2016 bmw m235i and i would like to know everyones opinion on it being a first car , I've done a lot of research on the n55 engine and it seems to be decently reliable , the car has 37k miles and it is AWD with x-drive , i also do live in upstate new york so that should be taken into the consideration with the opinion , don't hold back either , if you believe it shouldn't be my first car then tell me and why it shouldn't be , it would also be my daily driver and i do have access to a lift since my godfather is a mechanic and i would be able to work on the car myself with his help , thank you for the opinion
In good conscience, I can't recommend buying a used BMW as a first car or not (Unless you absolutely know the car's history and it is low miles). Buying new gives you 4 years of full coverage and the opportunity to know the car over time (and decide after warranty expires if you want to keep it or not).

Chances are the 2016 is a car that someone enjoyed while under warranty and is now done with it.

It's always a "crap shoot" when buying used, but there are many other cars that have superior reliability records than any of the German brands.

New cars are very complex so "shade tree mechanics" can only do so much - and parts for European cars are pricey.

I would suggest looking at a less costly newer car with a remaining factory warranty rather than any used BMW. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, etc. FWIW I've had Hyundai's in the past and they have been great vehicles with an excellent warranty.

Don't misunderstand, I am a BMW fan. Love mine, but I bought mine new, I keep it low miles and in the nearly 4 years I've had it, I have not had any issues (so no "lemon" type problems). I will keep mine beyond the warranty period (expires this coming December) as mine is garage kept, Florida car w/only has 7500 miles on it. I may trade for the 2021 i4 if it's priced right and the range meets my needs.

If I absolutely had to have a BMW as a daily driver in the snowy, salty rust belt, I'd lease one.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
As a recent Consumer Report article confirms, BMW and Mercedes continue to have the highest maintenance costs after the first three years, in large part because of the high price of parts and the need for specialized knowledge in making repairs. The latter most likely rules out being able to do much yourself, even with your godfather's help.
I have passed on used Hondas to my kids. A 2009 Fit and a 2012 CR-V are both on the road still, with almost zero problems.
So, if you want reliability, get a used Honda or even a Toyota. The downside is that Toyotas are really boring. The right Honda can be fun, but nothing will beat a BMW for fun.
So, if you have enough money to set aside a couple thou per year, just in case, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The right Honda can be fun, but nothing will beat a BMW for fun.
There is one (new) Honda that is fun, the rest are grocery mobiles.

I wouldn't say "nothing" beats a BMW for fun, but I see where you were going there...

Yes, this particular vehicle would make a good first car purchase given it's value for what it offers up.

Last edited by chattanooga240; 07-22-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Pretty fast for a first car.

If you’re into driving fast and have interest in tracking, get something slower with lower limits. It’ll be hard to learn handling dynamics on something with such high limits.

If you just want to blast to 60 mph incredibly quickly every once in a while, you’ll probably be okay.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

The Honda Turbo civic goes 0-60 in 6.5. and you can mod. Next step up would be a 4 banger BMW, and then 6.

While my 235i is faster then my first car, it is 10 times more stable and safer. Hell my 1986 Mustang GT was barely faster then my turbo civic, and was a squirrelly death machine !! lol

Look for low mileage, and doing own maint. and finding reasonable solid local BMW shop would help. Make sure you have "expendable" monies for repairs.

and reluctantly, I would suggest maybe going 230i in this case.

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 07-22-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #10
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I wouldn't give me a M235 as a first car lol. Also I can't imagine the insurance for somebody under 27. I nearly puked when I saw what it costs per year.

If I was dead set on a BMW, maybe a slightly older 328i Coupe.

But knowing what I know now, I'd give myself a BRZ. Heck I'd give myself a BRZ right now. That was the plan, but the 228 was cheaper.
Moflow2484.50
      07-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
...you are buying into among the more expensive brands to maintain and repair over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
As a recent Consumer Report article confirms, BMW and Mercedes continue to have the highest maintenance costs after the first three years, in large part because of the high price of parts and the need for specialized knowledge in making repairs.
This image is from the Consumer Reports article. While I've enjoyed my BMWs for their driving dynamics, I've loved my Toyotas and Mazdas for their low running costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

They are reliable cars......for BMWs.

I'm not sure what your experience is with driving, but the xdrive will help keep you from getting in over your head (queue Youtube videos of crashing Mustangs).

If you're dead set on the car, get it inspected by professional BMW mechanic. Then have $5,000-10,000 in a rainy day account specifically for car repairs that you're going to lose sleep over if something pops up. For shadetree mechanic, these late model N55s are generally easy to maintain/repair assuming you don't need to really dig into the motor. Parts are pricey but you can save a bundle buying online and doing what you can yourself. There aren't a ton of specialized tools needed. You'll need Torx and reverse Torx sockets, thin walled spark plug socket, a BMW specific code reader, and watch lots of Youtube videos. Be prepared to work in tight and confining areas.

When doing ANY work that involves disconnecting sensors on these cars, do yourself a favor and avoid huge potential headache: Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery first before starting work.

Lastly, the xdrives can suffer from transfer case issues and require replacement (~$3K-4K). The most reliable option is a RWD auto. If you're worried about snow, get a set of full blown snow tires and wheels for $1,000-1,500 or get a snow beater.

Last edited by XutvJet; 07-22-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishRT View Post

But knowing what I know now, I'd give myself a BRZ. Heck I'd give myself a BRZ right now. That was the plan, but the 228 was cheaper.
This. If I were an experienced driver, i'd rather have the 228i for the extra power and refinement. If I were a new driver, i'd rather have the BRZ for the more raw feeling driving experience along with being easier to control beyond the limits of traction.

When I got my first car, i wanted the cool, turbocharged, all-wheel drive celica with decent (for the time) horsepower. And it's what I got.

In retrospect a 100hp FWD piece of shit celica would've taught me a lot more about driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
This. If I were an experienced driver, i'd rather have the 228i for the extra power and refinement. If I were a new driver, i'd rather have the BRZ for the more raw feeling driving experience along with being easier to control beyond the limits of traction.

When I got my first car, i wanted the cool, turbocharged, all-wheel drive celica with decent (for the time) horsepower. And it's what I got.

In retrospect a 100hp FWD piece of shit celica would've taught me a lot more about driving.
I gave very serious consideration to making the BRZ my 24th car owned. I never considered the BRZ to be...what...in the same ballpark, I guess, as a 2 Series. FWIW, I've driven both on the track, where the BRZ outshines the 2 Series by a noticeable margin. The staggering difference in weight alone distinguishes these two cars. The only thing I see that makes these cars comparable is their price points, and then only if the BMW is used. Frankly, I wouldn't mind owning both.

As for the POS FWD Celica teaching you more about driving; well...yes, of course!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      07-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #15
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Like others have said, you didn't mention your driving experience only that it will be your first car. If you haven't driven much, I'd get a cheap car for now and wait for upstate NY winter to be over to get the 235.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #16
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
If you haven't been a driver for very long, then I'd suggest that you wait (if you can) or get something cheap but with a good power/weight ratio and invest in some driver training on track. This will improve your driving capabilities at an age when you'll pick things up quickly, and may alter the choice of car you do eventually go for i.e. in the light of what you learn on track. I don't mean racing driver training - just time on track with an instructor learning the limits of vehicle handling, and sometimes breaking them, but in a safe environment.
Moflow2484.50
      07-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
In good conscience, I can't recommend buying a used BMW as a first car or not (Unless you absolutely know the car's history and it is low miles). Buying new gives you 4 years of full coverage and the opportunity to know the car over time (and decide after warranty expires if you want to keep it or not).

Chances are the 2016 is a car that someone enjoyed while under warranty and is now done with it.

It's always a "crap shoot" when buying used, but there are many other cars that have superior reliability records than any of the German brands.

New cars are very complex so "shade tree mechanics" can only do so much - and parts for European cars are pricey.

I would suggest looking at a less costly newer car with a remaining factory warranty rather than any used BMW. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, etc. FWIW I've had Hyundai's in the past and they have been great vehicles with an excellent warranty.

Don't misunderstand, I am a BMW fan. Love mine, but I bought mine new, I keep it low miles and in the nearly 4 years I've had it, I have not had any issues (so no "lemon" type problems). I will keep mine beyond the warranty period (expires this coming December) as mine is garage kept, Florida car w/only has 7500 miles on it. I may trade for the 2021 i4 if it's priced right and the range meets my needs.

If I absolutely had to have a BMW as a daily driver in the snowy, salty rust belt, I'd lease one.

Just my $.02
Its 3 years 36k miles now.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #18
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Its 3 years 36k miles now.
No it isn't, it's 4 years and 50k as always.

The maintenance warranty is the only thing they shortened.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Do it. Bmw's really aren't that expensive to maintain (oil, brakes, fluids, etc.) Its only when stuff breaks that things start to get expensive. 2015 n55 are super reliable as long as the previous owner took care of it and maintained it well. Now if we were talking 07 to like 09 n54 engines or the previous gen thats another story. we would all be straying you away lol. the n55 has been proven to be bulletproof. (knock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #20
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
No it isn't, it's 4 years and 50k as always.

The maintenance warranty is the only thing they shortened.
Didnt know that haha thanks!
Appreciate 0