THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2017 M240xi Rear left turn signal malfunction a month after delivery

11-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Voxis
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Angry 2017 M240xi Rear left turn signal malfunction a month after delivery

Hey guys,

I was still very happy with my new M240xi until yesterday,

The rear left turn signal stopped functioning, the dashboard alerted with message: rear left turn signal malfunction. and mirror turning signal light flickers like crazy.

I have contacted the dealer I bought the vehicle from, and they haven't set me up with an appointment

What else should I do?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxis View Post
Hey guys,

I was still very happy with my new M240xi until yesterday,

The rear left turn signal stopped functioning, the dashboard alerted with message: rear left turn signal malfunction. and mirror turning signal light flickers like crazy.

I have contacted the dealer I bought the vehicle from, and they haven't set me up with an appointment

What else should I do?

Don't enter any NASCAR races.....

Seriously, when you say "contacted", do you mean you spoke with a Service Advisor or whomever makes appointments and they would not arrange one? That doesn't make sense to me. There is nothing else to do other than call for an appointment and have the dealer repair your car, except meanwhile, use hand signals.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41923.50
      11-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Voxis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Don't enter any NASCAR races.....

Seriously, when you say "contacted", do you mean you spoke with a Service Advisor or whomever makes appointments and they would not arrange one? That doesn't make sense to me. There is nothing else to do other than call for an appointment and have the dealer repair your car, except meanwhile, use hand signals.
I was busy enough to just send an email to the salesperson... he later replies that someone will call me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was busy enough to just send an email to the salesperson... he later replies that someone will call me.
Well, of course! Email completely lacks the immediacy of "now", and your salesperson is the least qualified person to help. Tomorrow morning, call the Service Department (I take it you were not introduced to any Advisors at delivery? Shame on the salesperson!) and make an urgent appointment as a legally required safety feature is malfunctioning. Ask for a loaner if they cannot fix it while you wait. Ask for the Service Advisor's direct phone number and use that in the future while you build the relationship.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Voxis10.00
      11-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Voxis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Well, of course! Email completely lacks the immediacy of "now", and your salesperson is the least qualified person to help. Tomorrow morning, call the Service Department (I take it you were not introduced to any Advisors at delivery? Shame on the salesperson!) and make an urgent appointment as a legally required safety feature is malfunctioning. Ask for a loaner if they cannot fix it while you wait. Ask for the Service Advisor's direct phone number and use that in the future while you build the relationship.
Thanks man, I will do that tomorrow morning.

But I still feel bad man, a month old car. I feel somewhat disappointed since this is my first bmw.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, I will do that tomorrow morning.

But I still feel bad man, a month old car. I feel somewhat disappointed since this is my first bmw.
No one should tell you how to feel, but this is really very minor...could be a damaged bulb from a supplier made it to the BMW assembly plant. Every manufacturer has a range of issues which affect them at different times. My daughter will tell you about the new motor her supposedly bullet-proof Honda Accord needed at only 20-something thousand miles due to oil consumption. If this is the worst that happens to your or any new car, that's really not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wow - is this really something that even merits discussion? I mean nice of Sportstick to help you out but Jesus. A whole thread for "my turn signal isn't working what should I do?"
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41923.50
      11-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Haha... He should be glad he doesn't own a VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Wow...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
honestly to save yourself a headache, switch the bulbs from the right to the left and see if that fixes it/problem follows the bulb. It might be a defective bulb you can buy for $3 and be done with it. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd troubleshoot just like this, and then stop by BMW and have them replace my bulb with the OEM bulb on their dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
honestly to save yourself a headache, switch the bulbs from the right to the left and see if that fixes it/problem follows the bulb. It might be a defective bulb you can buy for $3 and be done with it. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #11
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
could also do that too. But to me, a trip to the dealer to have them replace a single bulb is the headache. They may make you setup an appointment still, and then you have to go out of your way for the appointment. If it's just a bulb, then you can grab one at Walmart or your corner auto parts store and be done that same day.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
could also do that too. But to me, a trip to the dealer to have them replace a single bulb is the headache. They may make you setup an appointment still, and then you have to go out of your way for the appointment. If it's just a bulb, then you can grab one at Walmart or your corner auto parts store and be done that same day.
Thing is, if his mirror LEDs are acting strangely, I doubt that it's a simple faulty bulb. <strike>DOT regulations require that a car's warning lights all act independently -- i.e., if one goes out, the others work as designed.</strike>

(Besides; for the uninitiated, removing and replacing the rear light nacelles isn't quite the piece of cake the Owner's Manual makes it out to be.)

Have your dealer look at it, OP, per Sportstick 's recommendation.

Last edited by Viffermike; 11-02-2016 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If one of the bulbs is out, then the others for that side will flash faster than normal. It's an indication you have a bulb out. They all still work independently of each other, it's just that they will flash faster to warn the driver there is a bulb out
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
If one of the bulbs is out, then the others for that side will flash faster than normal. It's an indication you have a bulb out. They all still work independently of each other, it's just that they will flash faster to warn the driver there is a bulb out
My mistake; you're correct. From the NHTSA's FMVSS No. 108, dated December 2007:

<<Failure of one or more turn signal lamps such that the minimum photometric performance is not being met must be indicated by the turn signal pilot indicator by a “steady on”, “steady off”, or by a significant change in the flashing rate., except when a variable-load turn signal flasher is used on a multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus 2032 mm or more in overall width, on a truck that is capable of accommodating a slide in camper, or on any vehicle equipped to tow trailers.>>

Even so, I'd have the dealer look at it. The OP plainly needs to learn some car-ownership guidelines ... :: ducking ::
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

lol at this thread. Just drop your car at the dealer, get a loaner, and pick it up when it's ready.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
lol at this thread. Just drop your car at the dealer, get a loaner, and pick it up when it's ready.
Or have them pick your car up and give you a loaner, many will do that.

I get a discussion if someone is trying to swap themselves and can't get the bulb out or something, they can be tricky. But this? Come on...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Maybe I'm the oldest one on this thread, but I don't mind being a bit more patient with someone who I suspect may be among the youngest/first time car owner, etc. We were all there once, whether for cars or something...and the electrons don't cost us that much! Hope this works out well and soon for the OP.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1756.00
      11-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Maybe I'm the oldest one on this thread, but I don't mind being a bit more patient with someone who I suspect may be among the youngest/first time car owner, etc. We were all there once, whether for cars or something...and the electrons don't cost us that much! Hope this works out well and soon for the OP.
Fair point - Christ the youth of America scares me though! My GF has a 21 year old kid who isn't in school, never worked, and once asked her how to make a root beer float.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Fair point - Christ the youth of America scares me though! My GF has a 21 year old kid who isn't in school, never worked, and once asked her how to make a root beer float.
Did they think the answer was to throw a can of root beer in the water?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Did they think the answer was to throw a can of root beer in the water?
That's a response I actually would have been impressed with! Sadly no. Same kid also asked when cleaning if you spray Lysol on the paper towel or the counter, and at a restaurant claimed not to know how to put food in to go containers.

He's not "special" or anything unless useless is a new form of "special"
Appreciate 0