THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i xDrive 8AT

01-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

M240i xDrive 8AT

I am new to the M240i xDrive with about 800 miles on the car. I have been starting to push the car harder, but still staying under the manuals recommended 4500 RPMs. One of the things I have been doing is paddle shifting in sport mode. I noticed that when shifting with paddles at ~4500 RPMs and full throttle the shift is very aggressive. How normal is this? If I am easier on the throttle it's not as aggressive or abrubt; same goes for comfort mode.

I have read other posts comparing the ZF 8hp transmission to DCT where there was a bit of discussion on this, but I didn't find any solid information on if this is "normal" or not. I am used to manaul gearboxes and don't have any experience with sport auto transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianbmw12 View Post
I am new to the M240i xDrive with about 800 miles on the car. I have been starting to push the car harder, but still staying under the manuals recommended 4500 RPMs. One of the things I have been doing is paddle shifting in sport mode. I noticed that when shifting with paddles at ~4500 RPMs and full throttle the shift is very aggressive. How normal is this? If I am easier on the throttle it's not as aggressive or abrubt; same goes for comfort mode.

I have read other posts comparing the ZF 8hp transmission to DCT where there was a bit of discussion on this, but I didn't find any solid information on if this is "normal" or not. I am used to manaul gearboxes and don't have any experience with sport auto transmissions.
Bought one mid last year, same car as yours. Kept it decently under 4000rpm till the 1200 mile mark. Similar conditions to yours.

I was concerned with this hard shift too, and searching on the forums I found that a spirited, harder shift is quite normal, and expected to be even more intense in the Sport+ mode.

Of course, the thing that I can't tell is if you are feeling some sort of an abnormal shudder from the car post/pre shift, which I honestly don't suspect.

If you want an added peace of mind, I would say post a video with sound and let people respond. However I highly doubt you are experiencing g an abnormality.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Sounds normal to me, I love the shifts.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianbmw12 View Post

Bought one mid last year, same car as yours. Kept it decently under 4000rpm till the 1200 mile mark. Similar conditions to yours.

I was concerned with this hard shift too, and searching on the forums I found that a spirited, harder shift is quite normal, and expected to be even more intense in the Sport+ mode.

Of course, the thing that I can't tell is if you are feeling some sort of an abnormal shudder from the car post/pre shift, which I honestly don't suspect.

If you want an added peace of mind, I would say post a video with sound and let people respond. However I highly doubt you are experiencing g an abnormality.
.[/QUOTE]
.[/QUOTE]
I don't think there is anything abnormal other than how hard it shifts. I can grab a video once the roads dry off. It looks really nice in the garage
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

It does shift hard with stick to left and in sport mode with both boxes checked. Try configuring with just the suspension checked in sport mode. You get smoother shifts that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

It's not a hard shift, it's actually a "quick" shift... And even though you feel it, it is better for the transmission, especially under high power loads!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

This is the thing I love most about this car, is the dual nature of it. Especially with the automatic transmission.

Leave it in comfort mode, and it's a cushy ride around town with soft shifts. As sedate as a Camry. (Put it in Eco, and it soft shifts like a 3 speed hydramatic in a Buick. )

But put it in any of the Sport or Manual modes, and it becomes a different car. Especially when you get the revs up beyond 5000. The AT starts shifting like a DCT, with firm and very quick shifts. I never bother with manual shifts around town, but on the track I have to shift manually or the abrupt shifts become unsettling when you aren't expecting them. I love coming in to a tight corner after a long straight, under very heavy breaking, and clicking down through the gears. Hearing the snap as the revs bounce up, and feeling the twitch as that gear change grabs the wheels and slows the car more. And the gear changes are so fast and easy it's a simple matter to bounce up and down a gear on short straights where I would otherwise be limited by redline.

Then I pack up my car, put it back in comfort mode, and have a relaxing drive home in my luxo-coupe.
Appreciate 0