THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Vorshlag camber plates installed

10-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #133
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Looked at kmac. Looks like they only have the 3 hole design. Nothing for 5 holes?
Here is the 2016 K-Mac Catalog. It states that F22 5 hole is supported. The interesting thing is the 3 hole part number (#192616-2 N) will fit the F22 and F32, but the 5 hole F32 gets a different part number (#192816-2 O) while the 5 hole F22 uses the same three hole part number (#192616-2 N).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #134
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I just bought a pair of the KMAC Stage 2s. They support 5-holes and 3-holes with knockout studs. Pretty slick. I haven't installed 'em yet, but will review once I do.
On mine, they did not support the single strut brace design, you can order the split two piece or just cut the center out of existing. Real OEM shows both.

This may have been fixed, mine are almost 2 years old now.

The other point is you have to be extremely cautious on torquing the bolts. If you go to an alignment shop I would tell them to just hand tighten and a half turn w a socket.

Get an inch pounds 1/4 drive and use that for final. The studs will strip easy.
Appreciate 1
rwalker329.50
      10-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #135
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Here is the 2016 K-Mac Catalog. It states that F22 5 hole is supported. The interesting thing is the 3 hole part number (#192616-2 N) will fit the F22 and F32, but the 5 hole F32 gets a different part number (#192816-2 O) while the 5 hole F22 uses the same three hole part number (#192616-2 N).
The 5 hole can work on early production cars depending on their design.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #136
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Lol how many camber plates have you gone through now?
5 sets of GC
3 sets of Dinan (waiting on 4th)
1 set of TC Kline
2 sets of K-MAC
1 set of Vorshlag (waiting on 2nd)
==========
12 sets + waiting on 2

I'm also working with a friend on possibly producing our own design
      10-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #137
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
5 sets of GC
1 set of TC Kline
2 sets of K-MAC
==========
12 sets + waiting on 2

10-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #138
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Rwalker, Damn thats crazy! I assume you have done all them yourself. That's a ton of shop labor if not

I'm interested in Dinan's fix, on how they fixed it and how they turn out. Along with the Vorshlag's modified design to support the stock isolator (why it was excluded is beyond me).., and these KMAC's.. Not alot of info on them, but they have been out for a while!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #139
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Those camber plates seem pretty expensive.

I'm pretty sure I can just eye ball where the strut bolt holes should be relative to the stock bolt hole positions and drill the holes I need into the strut mount tower with some home/garage tools.

It's not like camber plates are rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #140
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'm pretty sure I can just eye ball where the strut bolt holes should be relative to the stock bolt hole positions and drill the holes I need into the strut mount tower with some home/garage tools.
It's a nice thought, but the stock plates are shaped in such a way as to protrude through the center of the strut tower, so you'd also need to make that hole larger.

Please keep the community informed of your progress in this regard.
      10-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #141
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Rwalker, Damn thats crazy! I assume you have done all them yourself. That's a ton of shop labor if not

I'm interested in Dinan's fix, on how they fixed it and how they turn out. Along with the Vorshlag's modified design to support the stock isolator (why it was excluded is beyond me).., and these KMAC's.. Not alot of info on them, but they have been out for a while!
The first few GC plates were a shop, and the first K-MAC attempt was a shop (aborted halfway when we found they didn't fit). The rest were DIY.
      10-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #142
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
It's a nice thought, but the stock plates are shaped in such a way as to protrude through the center of the strut tower, so you'd also need to make that hole larger.

Please keep the community informed of your progress in this regard.
That's not too hard. You could enlarge that original hole with a Dremel tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #143
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not too hard. You could enlarge that original hole with a Dremel tool.
I think you'll have to show us
      10-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #144
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

We all hope it's that easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #145
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
5 sets of GC
1 set of TC Kline
2 sets of K-MAC
==========
12 sets + waiting on 2

Wow. If you've had 12 sets of plates on the same model of 2 series? On the same car? I'm designating you as No BS when it comes to camber plates guy.

Is it really that hard to have a camber plate that adds between 1 and 2 degrees of camber, utilizes the rubber boot to help prevent premature wear of the strut piston due to salt/dirt fouling, and uses an isolator to limit spring-to-perch grinding noise or vibration? I guess it is since multiple companies seem to still be looking for the secret formula and most of these companies have good reputations. Staying tuned.

Love to see a summary comparison of the plates.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #146
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow. If you've had 12 sets of plates on the same model of 2 series? On the same car? I'm designating you as No BS when it comes to camber plates guy.
Some of them didn't go on the car (e.g. the 2nd and 3rd sets of GC or the 1st set of KMAC), but yep: all on the same car. I appreciate the designation .

Quote:
Is it really that hard to have a camber plate that adds between 1 and 2 degrees of camber, utilizes the rubber boot to help prevent premature wear of the strut piston due to salt/dirt fouling, and uses an isolator to limit spring-to-perch grinding noise or vibration? I guess it is since multiple companies seem to still be looking for the secret formula and most of these companies have good reputations. Staying tuned.
I don't think it should be that hard. Many of these companies are starting from scratch for this platform, though. A camber plate for this platform requires fresh thinking, and so E36, E46, E90, experience can't be leveraged. I'd also volunteer that some companies are using their reputations to foist clearly under-developed products on this community.

Quote:
I've posted a one-liner summary for each brand somewhere, maybe this thread? I've tried not to throw companies under the bus for issues with products that they're actively working on improving. I (and a few others) kinda served as development mules for the GC plates. GC was very helpful through the whole process, and I think now they have something on essentially equal footing with the best I've tried.
      10-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #147
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
...I (and a few others) kinda served as development mules for the GC plates. GC was very helpful through the whole process, and I think now they have something on essentially equal footing with the best I've tried.
As one of the few others, I fully agree...It's certainly worth noting that GC has been very supportive as I tested one of their early beta sets, and ever since while I've been running one of their revised sets. Great customer support.
      10-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #148
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If it were that easy and doesn't cost a bunch of money to do it, we would have attempted it too.

Some of the vendors mentioned above have been at this game for 20+ years and still can't get the F2x F3x F8x camber plates right. Dinan, probably the largest company out of the bunch with the most engineering staff, still failed.

That said, camber plates(TCKline and Vorshlag) on coilovers have been great and no issues to my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #149
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If it were that easy and doesn't cost a bunch of money to do it, we would have attempted it too.

Some of the vendors mentioned above have been at this game for 20+ years and still can't get the F2x F3x F8x camber plates right. Dinan, probably the largest company out of the bunch with the most engineering staff, still failed.

That said, camber plates(TCKline and Vorshlag) on coilovers have been great and no issues to my knowledge.
PM'd you with a coilover +Vorshlag setup question.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #150
dsaylors
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i MSport + Track

Does anyone have updates on the revised Vorshlag plates? I am looking to purchase soon but would like to know if the noise issue has been resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #151
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

the updated perch design is not yet available, I was told a couple more weeks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #152
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

As expected, the boot doesnt last long on the existing perch.
Circa 3k miles after install:

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #153
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg View Post
I posed this question in another thread a few months back to very little interest. Looks like there is interest building and that's awesome! I would kill for a "set and forget" option that gives me -1.5(ish) degrees at stock ride height and retains some more NVH. IMO that's the perfect solution to a guy like me who drives their car enthusiastically every day, and in anger on track once or twice every couple of years.

Maybe another thread with a poll is in order?
Gents,

Found these [albeit for Z3] from Comp Brake here in the UK - would something like this to suit F series be a solution....???

http://www.compbrake.com/product/239/

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 02:03 AM   #154
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post

Does this imply that the majority of issues regarding the plates are with stock suspension rather than with aftermarket coilovers?

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0