THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235iCoolant loss/ engine temperature

01-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
SF2021
Rep
Drives: Bmw m235i conv

M235iCoolant loss/ engine temperature

Hi All,

First post here, so hope that it’s in the right place.

I recently bought a 2015 235i conv with ~52k miles - fully serviced from a Mercedes dealership (no extended warranty).
Two days ago I was driving to the airport, and the coolant light went off (low); I was on the highway and in a rush so couldn’t stop for another 15 miles. The engine temperature warning light went to yellow (5min in) and red when I finally made it into the parking lot.

I am still not back so trying to plan next steps to get it fixed asap but also preserve costs. Would really appreciate your advice. Here‘s what I am thinking:

1. Refill coolant with regular water (I heard that’s better and live in CA). If there is no fluid loss and the engine light doesn’t go off drive it to my local BMW dealership (~40 miles) for service.
2. If there is a leak or engine light still goes off have it towed to local BMW.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I'm assuming you checked under the hood for any obvious signs like the coolant hose (as that's known to become brittle and break... ask me how I know). I'd at least add proper coolant before driving again, especially if it's going to be a long drive (more than 15-20 minutes) to somewhere you can get it serviced.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

when you open hood and face engine check the coolant hard plastic hose that runs from coolant tank on left of engine, across top of radiator support (parallel to rubber body trim seal ) over to the right side of engine compartment ( detailed in link below ). If those hose connections are cracked or of you see tell tale signs of coolant blowing out from that hose buy a new hose (about $40), distilled water (BMW coolant especially if cold temps) and a small type of slip joint pliers to pull off old connection. You can refill coolant and replace hose right in the parking lot.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1553680
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
SF2021
Rep

Thank you, all!

I am still traveling, and when I left didn’t even get a chance to check under the hood.

I‘ll give it a try tomorrow, and let you know what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
SF2021
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
when you open hood and face engine check the coolant hard plastic hose that runs from coolant tank on left of engine, across top of radiator support (parallel to rubber body trim seal ) over to the right side of engine compartment ( detailed in link below ). If those hose connections are cracked or of you see tell tale signs of coolant blowing out from that hose buy a new hose (about $40), distilled water (BMW coolant especially if cold temps) and a small type of slip joint pliers to pull off old connection. You can refill coolant and replace hose right in the parking lot.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1553680
Hi, turns out that you were right! Coolant hose had broken off. I got two left hands so called BMW roadside and they towed it to the dealer (free of charge although outside of 4 year warranty). Unfortunately, this is where the good news end.
My local BMW (San Francisco) checked the car and said that the coolant needs to replaced, and that the water pump and thermostat also took a hit.

Total repair cost are $900 + $820 + $2800, so $4520 total. This seems very expensive?! Is that normal or just due to inflationary prices in the Bay Area? Would you generally recommend having it fixed at BMW or fine to have it done at a local garage.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2021 View Post
Hi, turns out that you were right! Coolant hose had broken off. I got two left hands so called BMW roadside and they towed it to the dealer (free of charge although outside of 4 year warranty). Unfortunately, this is where the good news end.
My local BMW (San Francisco) checked the car and said that the coolant needs to replaced, and that the water pump and thermostat also took a hit.

Total repair cost are $900 + $820 + $2800, so $4520 total. This seems very expensive?! Is that normal or just due to inflationary prices in the Bay Area? Would you generally recommend having it fixed at BMW or fine to have it done at a local garage.

Thank you!
Did you get temperature warnings on your instrument panel ? And if so how far did you drive with such warnings and did the car ever hesitate or knock ?

I'm not understanding the $4200 total. Coolant drain and flush I would guess at about $300 at dealer. Not sure how much thermostat and water pump are. I know if I had a leaking water pump leaving coolant in the belly pan or on the ground I would have my BMW dealer do that and change the thermostat as a precaution. My dealer gives me a loaner plus I trust their work, pretty-much for my location.

You could have the hose and coolant done, deny water pump and thermostats and see what happens. If your getting coolant or high temperature readings immediately after leaving dealership then I guess have the work done.

How many miles are on your car ? If your above 75,000 maybe just have the work done. If your a BMW club member and can use there 10% discount, or if you know of a very good and clean BMW independent shop you could have the work and second diagnostic done there and just have BMW replace hose and coolant.

I drove about 20 or 30 miles with a blown coolant hose in my 235. I stopped and got about six gallons of distilled water and filled up radiator every four miles and then next day installed and new hose and added BMW anti-freeze at a bit higher ratio and some distilled water and my car has been perfect for the month since it happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Personally I would just replace the hose and fill it back up, see what happens. I have a very hard time believing 3 different parts all failed at the exact same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

$4200 is robbery. Seriously. I really don't get how dealers legally can do to this to people.

The OEM coolant hose is $40, OEM water pump $500, OEM t-stat $150, and OEM coolant $60. You can look these costs up online.

Most dealers charge $1100-1500 for the parts and labor to replace the water pump, t-stat, and coolant. The coolant hose takes all of 2 minutes to replace. A BMW tech will do this whole job in 1.5 hours but I think they get 3 to 4 hours book time so that's what they'll charge and it's within their right to do so.
      01-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
SF2021
Rep

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your input. I am also at a loss - prices in San Francisco are always inflationary high but this doesn’t seem right.
A friend of mine works for BMW NA and is talking to the store to understand what is driving up the price, and if anything can be done about it.

Generally speaking, any solid (non BMW) garage should also be able to source the parts and do the repair, correct?

Best,
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
SF2021
Rep

Quick update - just spoke with a local repair shop - their guidance was the same as yours; try only replacing the coolant first and then decide re WP and Tstat.
If everything needs to be replaced their quote was $2,000 all around incl labor and tax.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Quick update - just spoke with a local repair shop - their guidance was the same as yours; try only replacing the coolant first and then decide re WP and Tstat.
If everything needs to be replaced their quote was $2,000 all around incl labor and tax.
You will still need to add quite a bit coolant and burp the air out. Your BMW has a water pump program to do this. You can search Google or YouTube for the procedure. It may be best to find a friend familiar with cars to help you. It's not hard to do at all but it sounds like you're not mechanically inclined. Make to get BMW coolant and dilute it with distilled water. BMW coolant only. Period.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your input. I am also at a loss - prices in San Francisco are always inflationary high but this doesn’t seem right.
A friend of mine works for BMW NA and is talking to the store to understand what is driving up the price, and if anything can be done about it.

Generally speaking, any solid (non BMW) garage should also be able to source the parts and do the repair, correct?

Best,
I've never done a water pump on my 235 but from what I understand it's not a procedure the mechanic is doing for a first time on your car. familiarization and experience because are important. So a BMW centric independent is important.

I would also say as an example - for the oil filter housing gasket it should be a BMW guy, whether at an independent or a dealer.
Appreciate 0