THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

01-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #683
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
This is correct.

I might just add that Carly for BMW(app for ios/android), lacking alot of functionality for F22 actually can turn off the ASD and this helps alot in the audio department so you can keep the audio from the center.

I think the adapter is like 30$ and the app somewhere there too.

Ps. not marketing Carly as I am probably their worst customer and the app can be used for other functions too.
Bimmercode can turn off the ASD too. The Technic PNP harness was definitely necessary in the 2014-2016 cars, but I believe for anything 2017 and beyond there was a wiring goof that has been fixed so the coding should be all you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #684
Tifosi79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 218d Midnight Blue

Found this thread as I am trying to improve my HK-system. Its quite a lot of information to take in. When I bought the car i thought the sound was great but after a while of listening to my rock an metal quite loud my ears were definately tired.
What Ive done so far is disconnect the centerspeaker and replace the fronts and subs for Focal IFBMW-S and IFBMW-Sub v2. Now the sound is much easier on the ears and more detailed. I do though have a problem with the sensitivity of the Focal speakers.
At first I only hade the fronts installed and I the had to turn the bass control way down so that the HK-subs didnt take over everything. With the Focal subs installed the bass level is a bit low. I have to turn the basscontrol up a few notches to make it sound nice, full and punchy. The downside of this is that it ruins the vocals as they get a little fat.
Now Im thinking of adding a new amp. Im very intressted in the Match PP62DSP. The problem is the adapterharnesses. They are only for the basic and Hifi systems. I dont want to change anything to the original cabling as I want everything to be a 100% reversable when its time to sell the car.

I could really use some of your advice here. Im sure I can find lots of information in this thread but so far I have only read the two first pages.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #685
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi79 View Post
I could really use some of your advice here.
Probably not the advice you were soliciting, but go to these places for dinner:

https://smakstockholm.se
https://operakallaren.se/en/restaurants/bakfickan

Both world class, especially Smak.

Check with Bimmer-Tech on the amp if you give them your VIN they will tell you exactly what you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:38 AM   #686
Tifosi79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 218d Midnight Blue

Thanks for the restaurant tips. I'm about 4hrs away from Stockholm but maybe I'll try them someday.

Unfortunately Bimmer-Tech isn't an option as its way too expensive. Especially by the time it reaches Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #687
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi79 View Post
Thanks for the restaurant tips. I'm about 4hrs away from Stockholm but maybe I'll try them someday.

Unfortunately Bimmer-Tech isn't an option as its way too expensive. Especially by the time it reaches Sweden.
They resell the Match one. I meant check with them to see about wiring harness or alternatively TechnicPNP could probably help you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #688
p2md
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Rear Deck Speaker options for '18m240 coupe with Hi-Fi

Many thanks to VifferMike for his help and advice, and Elias for his most awesome harnesses! I started with installing Focal IFBMW-S to the front doors purchasing the oem window sails. Next i added the JL XD 600/6v2 with both the Technic harnesses (add an amp and the ASD delete). I also installed the JL FiX86. After sucsessful calibration, with the FiX I lost the front tweeters. I then removed the FiX and returned it. I purchased the Focal IFBMW-C for install on the rear deck. Much to my dismay they do not fit on the rear deck. I wanted to stick with the same brand as the front speakers to enhance imagery. Also after spending 500 on the JL amp and the focal's in the front i'd like to install the best rear deck speakers and certainly don't want to go with the 4" full range oem garbage. One option is VifferMike's recommendation the JL Audio C2-400x. Unfortunately, Focal and other companies don't list cut out dimensions on most of their drivers so it makes researching difficult. I looking into the Morel Tempo Ultra 402 Integra, I measured the rear deck cutout to be 99mm but the rear lip of the cut out is only about 1 cms. Any advice on rear deck speakers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #689
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Got the Etons for my M2 and the difference is amazing. Still breaking the speakers in though, but sound is much more natural and crisp. Couldn't have done had it not been for this thread and for Viffermike's help.
      03-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #690
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Damn, gents. I'm gettin' warm and fuzzy in the innards an' all ...

... y'all're welcome. All in the never-ending pursuit of good sound and the SAS (Save Analog Society).

Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      04-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #691
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Hello all, I have owned a few 5 series and have posted on the F10 and G30 forums but am new to the 2 series - have just received a 2018 M240i convertible.

A couple of questions:

- how does the sensitivity of the Eton front components compare to the stock HK units ? I have the choice of putting in some spare Bavsound units or ordering the Etons, quite keen to try the latter but just nervous that they will cause a drop in volume in a system that seems asthmatic compared to my G30 HK...

- I can't hear any hiss at all in the HK system, does that mean that ASD on the latest cars isn't causing any degradation of sound quality ? May want to code out ASD anyway, would be useful to know the cheapest/easiest way of doing that in the UK;

(not so relevant to this thread but sort of audio-related so here goes.... has anyone managed to code out the noisy cold start ? I love how the exhaust sounds when pushing on, but why would I want that "exhaust manifold leak plus loose baffle" sound for 20 seconds on startup ?)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #692
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Hello all, I have owned a few 5 series and have posted on the F10 and G30 forums but am new to the 2 series - have just received a 2018 M240i convertible.

A couple of questions:

- how does the sensitivity of the Eton front components compare to the stock HK units ? I have the choice of putting in some spare Bavsound units or ordering the Etons, quite keen to try the latter but just nervous that they will cause a drop in volume in a system that seems asthmatic compared to my G30 HK...

- I can't hear any hiss at all in the HK system, does that mean that ASD on the latest cars isn't causing any degradation of sound quality ? May want to code out ASD anyway, would be useful to know the cheapest/easiest way of doing that in the UK;

(not so relevant to this thread but sort of audio-related so here goes.... has anyone managed to code out the noisy cold start ? I love how the exhaust sounds when pushing on, but why would I want that "exhaust manifold leak plus loose baffle" sound for 20 seconds on startup ?)
I'd post the audio questions in this same subforum (Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics) in a new thread. You've got a couple of fairly specific questions that only owners of specific models and gear will be able to answer.

Save Question #3 for a new thread in the DIY and Coding subforum here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #693
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

My HK car now has:

Bavsound Speakers
Bavsound Under Seat Ghost Subs (v2)
AF Match PP86DSP Amp w/ Bavsound Tune
AF URC-3 Remote
Focal Sub P 20F 8" Sub w/ Custom Enclosure by Visual Ice in UK
JL XD600/1v2 Amp
JL HD-RLC Remote

All DIY except for the enclosure. Right around $3k total spend, worth every penny. You'd have to spend a lot more and get into competition level crazy shit to do better.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-21-2018, 04:11 AM   #694
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'd post the audio questions in this same subforum (Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics) in a new thread. You've got a couple of fairly specific questions that only owners of specific models and gear will be able to answer.

Save Question #3 for a new thread in the DIY and Coding subforum here.
Thanks, will do.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #695
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
My HK car now has:

Bavsound Speakers
AF URC-3 Remote
JL XD600/1v2 Amp
JL HD-RLC Remote

All DIY except for the enclosure. Right around $3k total spend, worth every penny. You'd have to spend a lot more and get into competition level crazy shit to do better.
If it were my car, I'd be following you down that path. But it's my wife's and I have to tread very carefully
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #696
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
My HK car now has:

Bavsound Speakers
AF URC-3 Remote
JL XD600/1v2 Amp
JL HD-RLC Remote

If it were my car, I'd be following you down that path. But it's my wife's and I have to tread very carefully
The really nice thing about the remotes in the armrest is that you can easily dial it way back and have a very tame system. The AF remote is set for master volume and bass, and JL handles the big boy in the trunk.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #697
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

Thank you all for your advice. I just replaced the speakers with JL 4". The difference is amazing. I think that's all for now.

Jack
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #698
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Just finished my install up, coming from the stock 2014 M235i HK system...

Eton's up front.
JL Coax's in the rear.

Sound deadening in both locations.

I had a local shop do the install as I just separated my shoulder mountain biking. I purchased a few extra door clips just in case, and looks like the audio shop used most of those. I'd advise anyone to do the same.

I have the ASD harness to install, but will be a few more days for me to feel good enough to get in the trunk. I will also do the center channel as well.

I only have about 30 minutes of listening on the new setup, but it's a solid upgrade. The bass is not as ridiculously muddied sounding as it was from the factory, the mid range is way better, and the treble is clean.

It gets loud enough to enjoy all music, but currently I'm enjoying Raggae the most as it really brings some good notes out.

Note, I'm no audiphile, and I've dabbled with car audio in my younger days. This is probably the cleanest sounding stereo I've had. I'd like little bit more subwoofer, but I don't need to spend any more money or add any more weight. I'm sure adding the bimmertech amp at this point would make a healthy difference, but that's an expense I'm not willing to tackle at this point.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #699
kam760
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

Newbie here,

Thanks for all the threads and information, after reading every single (yes every post) post, I made the decision to DIY install focal ISC 100s in the front and rear. Sound has changed vastly, couldn't believe how bad it was before.

Will be putting up a DIY for it just so we have more information, was a bit of a hassle trying to find spacers that fit as I'm in the UK.

Thanks again for all the knowledge on here! Keep it coming.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #700
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

That'd be very helpful. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #701
Audioholics
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

BMW 2-Series System Revamp

Hi all;

After finally trading in my crashed BMW M235i with HK system from last year, I now have a brand new 18 M240i with the stock HiFi system.

I can tell you I actually miss the HK system after hearing how bad the hifi system sounds.

I am in the process of fixing that with a package solution that is tunable for 3 different seating/listening environments.

Here is Part 1 of 3 Videos I will be shooting on YouTube to document the experience:

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #702
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post
Hi all;

After finally trading in my crashed BMW M235i with HK system from last year, I now have a brand new 18 M240i with the stock HiFi system.

I can tell you I actually miss the HK system after hearing how bad the hifi system sounds.

I am in the process of fixing that with a package solution that is tunable for 3 different seating/listening environments.

Here is Part 1 of 3 Videos I will be shooting on YouTube to document the experience:

Wow, thanks for the video. I'm excited and it's not even my car lol. I'd love to have a dsp in my car, but idk that i trust anyone locally to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #703
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post
Hi all;

Glad to see you've got MusicarNW on the case. I'm seriously considering using one of its packages for my Cayman when the time (and funding) comes. The challenge will be finding a competent installer here to do the dirty work if I go that route ...

Definitely start a new thread with this, Audioholics . Give it as much play as you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #704
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Just installed the Eton B100W's in the front of my '18 convertible. Compared to the HK stock speakers they definitely sound better: the harshness in the treble is gone and the frequency response from 200hz upwards seems more even. THey are definitely less sensitive though and I have had to throw the fader forward a couple of notches to compensate.

Compared to Bavsound components I've installed in other HK systems I would say the Etons sound about as good (that classic laid back refined silk dome tweeter character) but are still slightly less sensitive. In the 600w 3/5 series cars it wouldn't be an issue but in this car it feels a bit like the amp is going to run out of headroom when I'm listening at the top end of the volume range that I might enjoy. Only run them for a couple of hours so far, they might get a little easier to drive ?
Appreciate 0