THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Sharing wheels across platforms (TMPS question)

11-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

Sharing wheels across platforms (TMPS question)

I just installed my 17 inch 285 Style Wheels with Michelin PS4s on my F23. They are my 3 season wheels from my 2009 e90 as I run 16 inch Michelin X-Ice in the winter on the e90. Fit is fine but TPMS does not work which I think is because the sensors across models are incompatible. Some questions:

1. Is anyone else running a single set of wheels that fit both the current 2 series and an older 3 series?

2. it possible to get a single TPMS sensor that works on both a pre-2010 3 series and a F2x 2 series?

This is my first winter with the F23 and I want something to drive in light snow and freezing temperatures but not in deep snow so I'm going all seasons in the winter this year at no cost to me. If I don't like them then I'll just get a dedicated set of winter tires for both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I believe BMW changed the TPMS design and compatible sensors around 2010. Looking at the E90 in realoem.com, Sept 2009 seems to be a date that sensor part numbers changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

That's why I was wondering if anyone was in my shoes or if there was a way to have a single set of wheels with "dual" TPMS sensors. I didn't think so but hoped I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

programmable generics?

On the F22/M235 there was a change very early in the production run, about March of 2014. That's why when you go to Tirerack, they ask if your car is pre/post 3/2014. I have an early 2014 (11/13 production) and I have the 'early' TPMS sensors. They are still 433MHz, but they changed vendors. From HUF (early) to VDO (later).

I have no idea what sensors fit various other BMW models, but you definitely need to match the sensors to the receivers in your car.

There are many third party sensors that are generic, and are programmed to the specific car model when the shop installs them. Easier to stock. In theory if you had one of these generic/universal sensors, you could reprogram them on the fly to do whatever you need them to do.

Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sens.../dp/B075SBSV5Y

You would also need the programmer tool. The Autel sensors above would use something like an Autel TS501 or TS601, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiTPM.../dp/B00BHCFNTS

I have the TS501, and it is a great tool. Really takes the guesswork out of dealing with TPMS sensors when you can query them directly. I originally got it to set the ECU on my sons FRS which requires an ECU reset/program when we swap winter/summer tires. That's common on most Japanese cars. No easy button press like on a BMW.

I used it a few weeks ago for a friend to prove out the sensors in his new winter tire set had not been programmed properly by Discount Tire. Made it easy for him go to back and specifically tell them what they goofed up on.

Before I coded pressure and temp in my iDrive display, I even used it as a quick way to check tire pressures. Just walk around the car and touch the tool to the tire and you get the pressure. No valve cap covers to mess with.
Appreciate 1
VAcurler116.00