THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Trunk 12V/Cigarette Lighter delayed start

10-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
sauceonside
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i MT

Trunk 12V/Cigarette Lighter delayed start

I have a bunch of electronics powered from either the rear seat 12V or the trunk 12V. Dashcam, multiple iphone charging, radar, etc. I know this isn't the ideal hardwire many of you use but I'm content with how I've done it.

I've started noticing a new phenomenon where the devices powered by the rear trunk outlet sometimes aren't powered when the car starts. At exactly 15 minutes of run time, these devices turn on at once, as if that outlet just turned on. The connection is good by the way and the timing is consistent. It doesn't happen every time though, sometimes they all power up with no issue.

I'm assuming there is some sort of fault being detected where too much power is being drawn and the system goes into some sort of delay to prevent a short, but these are also very low power draws. Has anyone experienced this and can confirm, or troubleshoot?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

They might be low power draws but I'm not sure what the trunck outlet's power rating is. I think it better to run power off the fuse panel in the trunk. There are several unused fuse slots in the rear fuse panel that get switched power. So, buy an add a fuse like the one in the link.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...-tap/32414_0_0
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
Joakim_79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i 2018

I am not sure but it sounds like you have a bad battery.
Appreciate 0