THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Twitter Trainwreck

11-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #265
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Maybe you haven't been around/read much lately. Compare this thread to these.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1973636

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1973551

You seriously think I care enough to go read other threads where there has been leeway? If you care enough, go look through those threads to see if I posted in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
All he would need to do is read my law enforcement Q&A thread to see plenty of empirical evidence of the aforementioned leeway.
I haven't seen threads with much leeway. I haven't been in your thread about law enforcement or the other 2 threads minn19 posted. I don't actually go into every thread. Not trying to create a debate but I remain surprised this hasn't been shut down based on other threads that have been shut down and numerous posts that have been deleted in threads that survived. I find the censorship level on this site to be high. You guys don't. Ok great.
We never said that. All we said was the mods do, indeed, give leeway. How much is debatable, but it happens.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      11-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #266
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I haven’t seen threads with much leeway. I haven’t been in your thread about law enforcement or the other 2 threads minn19 posted. I don’t actually go into every thread. Not trying to create a debate but I remain surprised this hasn’t been shut down based on other threads that have been shut down and numerous posts that have been deleted in threads that survived. I find the censorship level on this site to be high. You guys don’t. Ok great.
It is what it is, we see it differently. No biggie.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #267
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

This is going to be very, very interesting as more of this information is released.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/elon-m...rce=linkin.bio
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:14 AM   #268
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Lol, all that hype to find out the campaign requested they take down hunters stolen dick pic and that the trump administration made similar requests.

Oh well, a little something for you right wingers to touch yourselves to…
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #269
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Lol

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:18 AM   #270
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Well that explains why he dropped it on a Friday night when nobody would be watching
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      12-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #271
TTM0TION
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Interesting debate going on in this thread that’s been a fascinating read to a relative outsider. Few takeaways

Twitter is so much better now unless you work in tech. Then I guess you have to hate it.

This site is rather left which I don’t think I would have called. But kind of amazing how it follows geographical stereotypes.

Censorship in this site is higher than any other I’ve ever seen that’s car related. Even Ferrarichat doesn’t do as much. Don’t really mind but an interesting observation.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
Todd0131379.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #272
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
Interesting debate going on in this thread that’s been a fascinating read to a relative outsider. Few takeaways

Twitter is so much better now unless you work in tech. Then I guess you have to hate it.

This site is rather left which I don’t think I would have called. But kind of amazing how it follows geographical stereotypes.

Censorship in this site is higher than any other I’ve ever seen that’s car related. Even Ferrarichat doesn’t do as much. Don’t really mind but an interesting observation.
You should have seen the back and forth on the vaccines....
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
Todd0131379.50
      12-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #273
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
This is going to be very, very interesting as more of this information is released.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/elon-m...rce=linkin.bio
Newspapers and magazines make decisions every day about which stories to run, which ones to bury, and which ones to twist to fit a narrative. Every election season your local newspaper comes out in support of one candidate or another. But we seem OK with that generally, right? If one rag leans too far one direction you go find another one that leans the other way.

Is the problem here that people (naively) think or thought that Twitter as a company was fair and balanced in how they operate? Did we expect them to be politically agnostic? If they've found that leaning Left is a better business model, should we not celebrate the free market and let it play out? Take our business elsewhere if we dont like it.

I have a hard time believing anyone here would be shocked if I strolled on over to Truth Social, begin posting Left wing pro Antifa garbage, and got censored.

Not trying to turn my own thread political here so let's keep the debate to one of censorship. From my vantage point, I never did think social media platforms were balanced, nor do I expect them to be. As businesses in the free market, I expect them to craft a platform that fits their profit model. Just like the mods here at BP are free to decide where the line is and, sometimes, enforce that in what appears to us to be a haphazard and unbalanced fashion. It's their platform, their business to protect, and their right to do it in whatever way they see fit. If I dont like it I can find a different platform.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
CamasM3e933116.00
      12-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #274
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Lol, all that hype to find out the campaign requested they take down hunters stolen dick pic and that the trump administration made similar requests.

Oh well, a little something for you right wingers to touch yourselves to…
This. x Infinity
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #275
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Musk suspended Kanye. Free speech?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #276
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Newspapers and magazines make decisions every day about which stories to run, which ones to bury, and which ones to twist to fit a narrative. Every election season your local newspaper comes out in support of one candidate or another. But we seem OK with that generally, right? If one rag leans too far one direction you go find another one that leans the other way.

Is the problem here that people (naively) think or thought that Twitter as a company was fair and balanced in how they operate? Did we expect them to be politically agnostic? If they've found that leaning Left is a better business model, should we not celebrate the free market and let it play out? Take our business elsewhere if we dont like it.

I have a hard time believing anyone here would be shocked if I strolled on over to Truth Social, begin posting Left wing pro Antifa garbage, and got censored.

Not trying to turn my own thread political here so let's keep the debate to one of censorship. From my vantage point, I never did think social media platforms were balanced, nor do I expect them to be. As businesses in the free market, I expect them to craft a platform that fits their profit model. Just like the mods here at BP are free to decide where the line is and, sometimes, enforce that in what appears to us to be a haphazard and unbalanced fashion. It's their platform, their business to protect, and their right to do it in whatever way they see fit. If I dont like it I can find a different platform.
So your gripe with musk’s direction is exclusively related to his business decisions on culling, right? I think so, just confirming. I think the “let’s level the playing field” disagreement is a separate one.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #277
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:

So your gripe with musk’s direction is exclusively related to his business decisions on culling, right? I think so, just confirming. I think the “let’s level the playing field” disagreement is a separate one.
Exactly. The censorship debate is an entirely separate topic. But hey it's my thread so I'll detail the fuck outta it if I want.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #278
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I don’t get that.
It’s dangerous to try to determine what’s free speech or not, or you run the risk of making Twitter be the old Twitter… so what’s the point…
Just rely on laws and go with it. Much less complicated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #279
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
IMHO, Kanye has every right to tell the world exactly how he feels about Hitler and Jews, while Twitter has every right to decide they don't want that garbage on their platform and we as consumers have the right to never buy his shitty music or products again.
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
gatorfast4969.00
      12-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #280
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

That goes back to the whole section 230 platform vs publisher stuff. A newspaper is a totally different thing than a platform like twitter. Twitter could have pivoted to become a publisher and be governed by those laws if they like. IMO the only thing they should be moderating is anything that's illegal.

Quote:
I have no idea what Kanye posted, but unless it was illegal I don't think he should be banned and I have no problem saying it was a bad move. If he wants to say he hate jews then that's on him. I would rather know that Kanye hates jew than not (I have no idea if he hates jews, but that has been going around so I'm assuming that's what he was banned for).
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410876.00
      12-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #281
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I don’t get that.
It’s dangerous to try to determine what’s free speech or not, or you run the risk of making Twitter be the old Twitter… so what’s the point…
Just rely on laws and go with it. Much less complicated.
Agreed that anything illegal has no place on any forum. But my point is, from a censorship perspective, why does the legal/illegal line need to be the only line for a corporate run platform like Twitter. Shouldn't twitter as a corporate entity be free to run their business and decide what legal content is and is not on their platform?
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
gatorfast4969.00
      12-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #282
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Agreed that anything illegal has no place on any forum. But my point is, from a censorship perspective, why does the legal/illegal line need to be the only line for a corporate run platform like Twitter. Shouldn't twitter as a corporate entity be free to run their business and decide what legal content is and is not on their platform?
Because it is a platform. What if your cell provider decided to cut service to anyone they deemed controversial?
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
RickFLM410876.00
      12-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #283
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
IMHO, Kanye has every right to tell the world exactly how he feels about Hitler and Jews, while Twitter has every right to decide they don't want that garbage on their platform and we as consumers have the right to never buy his shitty music or products again.
Not saying one way or the other except Musk was/is supposedly all about unabridged free speech………….
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #284
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I think they can determine what to allow or not, but Musk’s whole take (unless I’m mistaken) was that free speech needed to be upheld.

Now, you can make the claim that Twitter would censor “right wing speech” or whatever because it deemed that to be more profitable (more advertisers would come, and less would flee). That wasn’t good for Musk, so he bought it with the intention to allow free speech as he called Twitter a “public square”.

Now if he bans someone because they post a swastika (for whatever reason, not sure what Kanye’s was) he is literally making the same decision (ban someone because if I don’t then other people will be annoyed and/or advertisers will flee), so it doesn’t make much sense to me. What about public square is it if legal (albeit controversial) speech is banned?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410876.00
minn1913970.00
      12-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #285
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Because it is a platform. What if your cell provider decided to cut service to anyone they deemed controversial?
Mmmm, but my cell is a utility. Not a platform. At least that's how I view it.

Anyway, I think most all of us can agree that our laws have not kept pace with technologies. Trying to apply 1930s era telecommunications laws to the internet is just not a great fit.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4969.00
      12-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #286
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think they can determine what to allow or not, but Musk’s whole take (unless I’m mistaken) was that free speech needed to be upheld.

Now, you can make the claim that Twitter would censor “right wing speech” or whatever because it deemed that to be more profitable (more advertisers would come, and less would flee). That wasn’t good for Musk, so he bought it with the intention to allow free speech as he called Twitter a “public square”.

Now if he bans someone because they post a swastika (for whatever reason, not sure what Kanye’s was) he is literally making the same decision (ban someone because if I don’t then other people will be annoyed and/or advertisers will flee), so it doesn’t make much sense to me. What about public square is it if legal (albeit controversial) speech is banned?
Lol, thats actually exactly what Kanye posted.
Appreciate 0