THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinantronics performance tuner stage 2

03-11-2023, 03:21 AM   #1
spankymymanky
Rep
Drives: m235i 2015

Dinantronics performance tuner stage 2

Hey guys i bought this dinantronics performance tuner stage 2 because i plan to stage 2 my car soon. My car is stock. Can i still install the system in my car even if its stock? I heard there is a base map, then a stage 1 and 2 map downloaded on it, but its not telling me if i need to have mods on the car to install it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I would get a charge pipe in there before you break it.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
We have them on sale right now 🙂
https://mad-us.com/mad-n55-charge-pi...-435-rwd-only/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #5
spankymymanky
Rep

Quote:
Is that a mod i would need to have before installing the stage 2 tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 06:58 PM   #6
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

It's a mod you need regardless of anything, the stock plastic pipe will eventually explode and leave you stranded. It'll eventually break in a totally stock car, its guaranteed to break with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankymymanky View Post
Hey guys i bought this dinantronics performance tuner stage 2 because i plan to stage 2 my car soon. My car is stock. Can i still install the system in my car even if its stock? I heard there is a base map, then a stage 1 and 2 map downloaded on it, but its not telling me if i need to have mods on the car to install it.
I have the Dinantronics stage 2 unit on my M235 as well. Keep in mind that this tuner requires Bluetooth connection to switch between the stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2 maps. More importantly, if you don't have a older Android device that's running the older 4.1 Bluetooth, the Dinantronics application won't be able to find the tuner via Bluetooth. Dinan provides absolutely no support and will not update the application. This has been an issue for 3+ years.

The MAC address you need to enter via the Dinantronics app is a 4 digit code provided on the tuner housing.

As for mods, yeah, you need an aftermarket charge pipe and an intercooler if you live somewhere that sees 80 degree summer temps. Ideally you should also consider a catted downpipe.

I've absolutely loved the Dinantronics stage 2 unit. It makes great power and has perfect driveability which I thought would be impossible for the piggyback style tuner.
      03-15-2023, 12:20 AM   #8
spankymymanky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have the Dinantronics stage 2 unit on my M235 as well. Keep in mind that this tuner requires Bluetooth connection to switch between the stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2 maps. More importantly, if you don't have a older Android device that's running the older 4.1 Bluetooth, the Dinantronics application won't be able to find the tuner via Bluetooth. Dinan provides absolutely no support and will not update the application. This has been an issue for 3+ years.

The MAC address you need to enter via the Dinantronics app is a 4 digit code provided on the tuner housing.

As for mods, yeah, you need an aftermarket charge pipe and an intercooler if you live somewhere that sees 80 degree summer temps. Ideally you should also consider a catted downpipe.

I've absolutely loved the Dinantronics stage 2 unit. It makes great power and has perfect driveability which I thought would be impossible for the piggyback style tuner.
So thats what i have, it says its IOS capable, and it says the only mod required is the intake. My question was more if it has a code clearer ability with diagnostic?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #9
rgriffin
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I do not believe this product has the ability to clear any codes, there are plenty of bluetooth OBDII modules that will be able to do this though. I use mine to display coolant and intake temps as well. On another note, it looks like the dinantronics app is no longer on the app store, I was only able to find the sport version of the app, which I think only works with the sport tuner, which I had previously. As others have said, you will need an older device to be able to even use the app, which is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The unit does not have the capability to read or clear codes. You may be screwed if the app is not longer available and don't have an older device as you'll have no idea what mod the unit is currently set in (i.e. stock, Stage 1 or Stage 2). Dinan will be of no help and will basically tell you to pound sand.

You do not need an intake to run the tuner. I am running the M2 lower airbox and have run the tuner with the stock airbox as well. I've run the tuner for over 4 years now without issue.

Last edited by XutvJet; 03-15-2023 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:51 PM   #11
spankymymanky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The unit does not have the capability to read or clear codes. You may be screwed if the app is not longer available and don't have an older device as you'll have no idea what mod the unit is currently set in (i.e. stock, Stage 1 or Stage 2). Dinan will be of no help and will basically tell you to pound sand.

You do not need an intake to run the tuner. I am running the M2 lower airbox and have run the tuner with the stock airbox as well. I've run the tuner for over 4 years now without issue.
Well i have the app, and not the s version, the normal dinantronics is in the app store. Its fine because i have the dinan intake i bought 2 days ago. I
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I would never buy this product, it’s garbage.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 03-16-2023 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
kschwiggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.

I ran this on my car. It's not garbage and worked great.

You don't need any mods to install the Dinan hardware, but I would connect to it via Bluetooth and set it to Bypass (stock) mode right away (before starting the car), and run it in Bypass until your charge pipe is upgraded. In the app, you can select between Bypass, Stage 1, and Stage 2. The Dinan unit won't throw any codes.

Seeing that you're in Arizona, definitely upgrade your intercooler to run higher boost. This is not as mandatory/immediate as the charge pipe.

While you're doing the charge pipe and intercooler, it's a good idea to swap out the coolant overflow line (about $40 part). It also becomes brittle over time and then breaks when you start moving stuff around in the engine bay.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

No logging, code clearing, no support. It’s almost the cost of MHD and none of the benefits.
Appreciate 0