THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Which instrument clusters can I use in my 2016 M235i?

05-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
AbnormallyAspirated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-Speed Convertible

Garage List
Which instrument clusters can I use in my 2016 M235i?

Hi:

My 2016 F23 M235i ZMT USA model has the low level "combi" Instrument cluster (small central LCD, no MOST). I want to upgrade to a newer IC - Preferably the blacked-out version.

I have [lots of] questions:
a) anyone have a list of part numbers that will work? Will ANY MPH one work (with proper virginizing and coding)?
b) what is the difference between the MID and HIGH euro IC's? Will either work with my Lame, no-nav HU_ENTRNAV? I understand I will need to add MOST connection between HU and IC. my EN2 HU has unused 2 MOST ports on Quadlock
c) does the US IC come in blackout style?
d) does the pre-LCI IC have the oil temp display option and the larger digital speed readout, or are those only LCI features?
e) will I be able to select an "M235i" logo in the LCI IC, or is that only available in the pre-LCI?
f) Could I use an M2 IC? it has an 8K tach - would that be a problem (as long as I control myself!)?

Sorry for all the questions. I wish someone knowledgeable about this stuff would do a tutorial.

Thanks!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car's vehicle identification number (VIN). Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to instruments and measuring systems to see what cluster is in your car. Then, go back to www.realoem.com but this time use the dropdown menus to build a car like your car. Scroll down to instruments and measuring systems to see what other clusters were installed in your model year bimmer.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
AbnormallyAspirated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-Speed Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car's vehicle identification number (VIN). Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to instruments and measuring systems to see what cluster is in your car. Then, go back to www.realoem.com but this time use the dropdown menus to build a car like your car. Scroll down to instruments and measuring systems to see what other clusters were installed in your model year bimmer.
Good info - I've been using real OEM but I didn't realize if I used My VIN It would identify
My equipment - cool!

I really want to use an LCI dash though, which would too be in my year, but I know people have made it work.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnormallyAspirated View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Good info - I've been using real OEM but I didn't realize if I used My VIN It would identify
My equipment - cool!

I really want to use an LCI dash though, which would too be in my year, but I know people have made it work.
Did you end up getting a LCI guage retrofitted?
      12-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #5
juliaelder32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 2016 M235i is equipped with an Electronic Cluster (EC) as standard. This is a full-color LCD display that shows engine performance, speed, fuel level, and other vehicle information. You can upgrade to the Sport Instrument Cluster (SIC) or the Technology Instrument Cluster (TIC). The SIC features a black and white LCD display with enhanced graphics and additional information, while the TIC features a full-color LCD display with navigation and infotainment system functions.
Appreciate 0