THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Basic to LCI 6WA Retrofit Flashing

03-31-2021, 06:07 AM   #1
icekxd
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Wink Basic to LCI 6WA Retrofit Flashing

Hey all,

I have decided to embark on a journey of endless issues but surely one that will be worth it in the end.

My car is a late 2014 F22 with:
  • basic pre-LCI BKOMBI unit
  • no-nav HU_Entry (Magneti Marelli)*
  • Hi-Fi sound system (not HK)
  • Android 10.25" screen with separate iDrive

*Note: my car does not have an optic MOST connection by factory. However, the HU_Entry unit does have a slot for the connection at the back.

Surprisingly, I have managed to purchase a used LCI 6WA black panel KOMBI. I had it virginized. The mileage is lower than the actual of my car.

I took the basic cluster out and replaced it with 6WA. I only plugged in the one connection, I ignored the MOST connection as I saw the cluster working without it when turning on the ignition.

I decided to follow the Fxx 6WA Kombi Retrofit guide dated May 30, 2013. I have followed all steps in accordance with the guide and got stuck when changing the calculation strategy in KIS/SVT target, the I-Step shipm. and target. both are grayed out and read "not available". See picture.

@Update 1:
At the time I was using E-Sys 3.27.1 with full PSdZ 4.27.11. This issue is caused by E-Sys version being too old for the relatively recent set of PSdZData. I solved the issue by running E-Sys 3.33.4 with the same PSdZData and I-Step selection was working (Launcher is not needed for flashing). However, several steps later I encountered additional problems - again to do with the I-Step level. When doing the KIS/SVT calculation, no matter what I-Step shipm. I select, all KOMBI ECU modules are red. When I select I-Step in the year of 6WA manufacture, it completely disappears of the list of ECUs. Trying HW-IDs from SVTactual did nothing as well.

So another trip back home and what seems like 7th change of cluster back to basic, I found out KOMBI needs to communicate with HU via MOST connection in order to be properly detected and flashed.

Next step was to take off the IHKA unit and plug the MOST cable into the back of HU and route it behind the cluster. Unfortunately, the cable I purchased turned out to be shorter than advertised and it was literally 1 inch too short to reach the slot in the cluster. Moreover, as optic cabling is fairly stiff, therefore difficult to bend I'm forced to wait until the longer one arrives.

And even then, I'm still not sure whether I will end up successful. But I'm not losing hope. Worst case scenario - I will do a full NBT/NBT Evo with nav retrofit. I already have the 5/7 button iDrive controller and big screen, so I would only need to source a HU.

@Update 2:
I have obtained sufficient length MOST cable and ran it between HU and KOMBI. However, E-Sys still fails to discover the 6WA KOMBI. After further research, I have stumbled upon information that this is caused by identical hardware IDs. If you take a closer look at the screenshot above, note how both BKOMBI (basic) and KOMBI (6WA) have identical ID (60). This can be solved by deleting BKOMBI in the SVT ECUs list and then reading from ECU, not SVT/VCM. This thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=882541&page=5 explains it in far more detail.

@Update 3:
It turned out that the cluster was faulty beyond repair due to poor soldering by the person who carried out VIN adaptation. The damage was done to the MOST bus. He offered me a brand new cluster free of charge as a result.
The new unit was detected immediately after coding and I had to inject CAFD. Flashing was not necessary.

The retrofit was successful. Should anybody need any help, feel free to contact me via PM.

Thank you all,
Kind regards from Europe

Last edited by icekxd; 04-19-2021 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: continuously developing post
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
maaii11
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F54

Hello

Try this, FDL code below items in HU first.
1.EXTERNER_MOST --> aktiv
2.EXTERNE_MOST_DIAG --> aktiv
3.KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_High

and then use "read ecu" in SVT tree.

I think you will find your new kombi.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 05:03 AM   #3
icekxd
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaii11 View Post
Hello

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

It turned out that the cluster was faulty beyond repair due to poor soldering by the person who carried out VIN adaptation. The damage was done to the MOST bus. He offered me a brand new cluster free of charge as a result.

Nevertheless, I believe this might be useful for others in the future.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #4
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaii11 View Post
Hello

Thank you very much! I solved this problem by using your method. I only changed the number 1 and number 3 value. After that, the error messages were displaying on the head unit screen. Then I know those two starts to talk.

Then I can find the KOMBI in ECU and coded it with injected CAFD.

Thanks again for solving my problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:50 AM   #5
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

What length was the most bus y splitter you used? Most I see on the market are 65mm in length. Was this sufficient enough to run from HU to Kombi?