THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB anyone kno wat kind of leak this might be?

08-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
jestyaf
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i coupe

anyone kno wat kind of leak this might be?

i've had my 2016 M235i for just 1 week and 3 days now. i had just returned home from a trip to the store and went back out to my car and saw that the ground all around it was soaking wet. it was even more wet under the car. it was clear so i thought it was water but i touched it and it was kind of greasy. whatever it is seems to be leaking from near the driver side front wheel. popped the hood and there was the same liquid all in the engine bay. the hood was really hot too. the car has a 90 day warranty from the dealer i got it from so i immediately took it back up there. car drove fine, no warning lights, no funny smells. but when i got back to the dealer and turned my car off i noticed an unusual humming sound coming from the front. any ideas on wat it might be? im pissed. only 10 days with my dream car and it's alrdy in the shop so now im driving a nissan altima and won't even find out wat the problem is until monday

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by jestyaf; 08-24-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

This is really just guessing but I think the coolant system still circulates coolant after engine is turned off to extend turbo life.

I didn’t say how your coolant fill tank looks and at what level the coolant was at.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but when my coolant line broke, it sprayed coolant all over my engine, but that caused "caution engine is hit" warning, so I'm not 100% sure that's what happening there, since you didn't receive any warnings.
I also had an issue with the windshield washer fluid pump for my headlights, and that leaked fluid near the front tire area, but I don't think that would spray in the engine, so idk without knowing the color (or lack of color) of the liquid.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
jestyaf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlum235i View Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but when my coolant line broke, it sprayed coolant all over my engine, but that caused "caution engine is hit" warning, so I'm not 100% sure that's what happening there, since you didn't receive any warnings.
I also had an issue with the windshield washer fluid pump for my headlights, and that leaked fluid near the front tire area, but I don't think that would spray in the engine, so idk without knowing the color (or lack of color) of the liquid.
the liquid was clear. felt a little greasy tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep

Sounds like a coolant leak from either a cracked hose, expansion tank, or water pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #6
jestyaf
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a coolant leak from either a cracked hose, expansion tank, or water pump.
water pump is on the passenger side tho correct? this seemed to be coming from near the driver side front wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep

Correct, but fluids travel, so can't rule it out completely. Unfortunately, no one can be definitive until a broken part is found or you see exactly where the leak is starting, as there's so many culprits based on the info you've given. Only other place that comes to mind is an issue with the radiator itself or the radiator hose. Maybe others have a better insight than I do, but that's just off my research after having coolant issues under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
matrixhunter
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 SI M + 2014 M235I

take a look at your coolant reservoir in that picture. It's supposed to be half full with blue coolant?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
all in the engine bay. the hood was really hot too. the car has a 90 day warranty from the dealer i got it from so i immediately took it back up there. car drove fine, no warning lights, xender discord omegle no funny smells. but when i got back to the dealer and turned my car off i noticed an unusual humming sound coming from the front. any ideas on wat it might be? im pissed. only 10 days with my dream car and it's alrdy in the shop so now im driving a nissan altima and won't even find out wat the problem is until monday

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 08-27-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
jestyaf
Rep

update: it was just a hose connected to the overflow tank
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #11
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep

Good to hear it's just a minor issue. Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year. Plastic parts get brittle after all the high engine heat over time, among other factors.
Appreciate 0