THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Intermittent Speaker Issue

09-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
2017M240i
Rep
Drives: Black

Intermittent Speaker Issue

I have a 2017 M240I. The passenger front components intermittently stop working. Nothing obvious with the plugs. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be a software problem that a reset of the radio and amp could fix?

Thanks,

Ken
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017M240i View Post
I have a 2017 M240I. The passenger front components intermittently stop working. Nothing obvious with the plugs. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be a software problem that a reset of the radio and amp could fix?

Thanks,

Ken
The head unit and amp are both tied to iDrive. Reboot that first to see if that clears up the issue.

Describe 'intermittently stop working'. Do they cut in and out? Do they just not output sound unless you shut off and restart the car? Is there anything that seems to get them to start working again?

Honestly, it sounds like a hardware issue, particularly since it's happening to just one channel. But reboot iDrive first. Then, call a dealer (if still under warranty).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
2017M240i
Rep
Drives: Black

The speakers don't cut in and out. Rather, when they are out they tend to be out for a while. When they aren't working nothing makes any difference. I noticed the sub on that side not working for a short time also but it's been working since then. They were off for a couple weeks and suddenly are working again. It's just the components in passenger door. I had an appointment for Thurs. with a dealership but they are saying if they can't see a problem they won't do anything. How do I reset the idrive system?

Dealership has already insisted that it can't be the amp or hardware because "if it was none of the speakers would be working." But it's also not the speakers. Clearly the signal is not always being sent down that line.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

How do you reboot idrive? pressing the volume button for 30 seconds doesnt do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Hmmm. That worked pretty reliably on my 2015 228i when I had it.

It appears that recent iDrive systems reboot themselves every time the car's shut down for more than a few minutes. This is in response to intermittent iDrive booting issues that were addressed with a software update in 2015. If you see the BMW logo, then the green cityscape when the car first starts up, it is rebooting.

OP: What you describe could as easily be a short in your right-front speaker wiring as it could be an iDrive fault. I would find a way to eliminate the former as a possibility, or simply not worry about the issue unless it crops up again -- and if it does, take it to a dealer immediately.
Appreciate 0