THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade

04-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #177
nomuffinforyou
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

So I've been on a bit of a deep dive into what I can do with this base system. And I've found an ebay seller selling total kits for different models for about 1/2 what bavsound does.

What's interesting though, is that his systems appear to be based around this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-378
It's actually a driver I have experience with in home audio settings and IS very good.

Anyone have thoughts on just using these as full range speakers in the HiFi setup? I've used them as pure full ranges in bookshelf/desktop speaker projects and they're actually quite good, on axis. My concern is in the car the off axis response and the highs. But, with the center and rears reflecting off glass I don't think it'll be that much of an issue, and with how the base speakers are, it can't be worse, and I've noted most people who drop in coax speakers say they end up dropping the treble -5 anyway.

Granted, they'd need brackets and ideally wiring harnesses, but for ~$150 total for all five speakers that's one hell of a deal imo.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #178
Jimbof22
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomuffinforyou View Post
So I've been on a bit of a deep dive into what I can do with this base system. And I've found an ebay seller selling total kits for different models for about 1/2 what bavsound does.

What's interesting though, is that his systems appear to be based around this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-378
It's actually a driver I have experience with in home audio settings and IS very good.

Anyone have thoughts on just using these as full range speakers in the HiFi setup? I've used them as pure full ranges in bookshelf/desktop speaker projects and they're actually quite good, on axis. My concern is in the car the off axis response and the highs. But, with the center and rears reflecting off glass I don't think it'll be that much of an issue, and with how the base speakers are, it can't be worse, and I've noted most people who drop in coax speakers say they end up dropping the treble -5 anyway.

Granted, they'd need brackets and ideally wiring harnesses, but for ~$150 total for all five speakers that's one hell of a deal imo.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you kind sir, I'll send you a virtual muffin for the suggestion. Just finished installing these in my 2021 M240i.

Perhaps it's placebo effect but what a difference. Can't think of better bang for the buck, no BS $150 with all parts included.

Couple of thoughts.

1 - unlike car speakers, these Dayton drivers are missing those mounting "legs" x 4. If you are okay with cannibalizing old speakers it fits flush, damn near perfect IMO. The rear speakers were fastened to the "bracket" with double sided tape. For door speakers I threw 2 screws, it aint going anywhere. No clue about aftermarker adapters/brackets, they were hard to find.

2 - Dremel was very handy for cannibalizing old speakers to make the "brackets". The Daytons literally drop in. Just have to figure out how to fasten. See thought #1.

3 - I bought speaker harness from ebay, so it was plug and play. See pics for additional info.

4 - sound is subjective, and I'm sure if I pour another couple hundred bucks (or thousand) it "might" sound better... but something about diminishing returns...

I'm very happy with how this turned out and I encourage anyone out there with limited budget to give this a go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0