THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hifi/HK differences in speaker placement?

07-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Hifi/HK differences in speaker placement?

I am possibly placing an order for a M240i in the next few days and am looking at which options and packages I would like. From the reviews I have read, I much rather stick with the stock audio system and upgrade all the speakers and amp myself. From my understanding, to have in door tweeters I would need the HK housing retrofitted. Other than that, does the stock system have under seat subwoofers and the same amount of speakers as the HK system? Or is it better to get the HK package and upgrade those speakers? I like the idea of the under seat sub woofers as I am just looking to do a stealth upgrade and don't want a box in the trunk, but I don't plan to upgrade everything right away so I would love having them on the stock system.

I am not afraid to tear into the panels and I can wire up the amp and speakers no problem. I am not an audiophile and would need research on what speakers/amp setup to get, but the labor part I can easily accomplish myself.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Aside from the tweeters everything is essentially the same. I believe that the HK has separates on the rear shelf too, but using coaxials on the rear shelf is more than fine. If you want to use separates though you'll be fine even when going with the stock audio.

I don't have the HK system, but I believe that the only thing you'll really miss is additional tone settings? From what I've read I'm not missing much in that department.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Aside from the tweeters everything is essentially the same. I believe that the HK has separates on the rear shelf too, but using coaxials on the rear shelf is more than fine. If you want to use separates though you'll be fine even when going with the stock audio.

I don't have the HK system, but I believe that the only thing you'll really miss is additional tone settings? From what I've read I'm not missing much in that department.
Awesome! That is what I made out from reading a bunch of different threads I searched for here, but the information was kind of gray other than the tweeters. I even asked my CA and she said no under seat sub woofers.

Do you have upgraded speakers or anything done to the audio system? Or just enjoying the hifi? I'm not an audiophile but I do like to listen to my music a little loud and enjoy some bass. Nothing crazy. I only use pandora over bluetooth right now, but ordered my M240i with ACP so unless it's wireless, which I doubt, it'll be Pandora over USB. Should help, a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

The HK system with the Eton / JL speaker swaps I am enjoying quite a bit. I just looked at it as ~$1k upgrade package (HK package cost plus a couple hundred for the speakers).

The HK also has an additional center dash speaker/tweeter, but most unplug it anyways as it messes with the sound stage. Tone/Bass controls are the same on the 2er between Hifi/HK.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hi Fi system also has a center speaker. Just no center tweeter. I currently do not have any upgrades beyond disconnecting the center speaker. I mainly listen to podcasts, so audio in the car is not as important to me as it is in my home theater. Once I finish the engine and cosmetic mods I'll start in on the audio.

I plan on getting a JL 600/6 amp, perhaps a separate eq and obviously speakers. I'll most likely go with separates up front and just get the sail panels from somewhere. My current speaker of choice is CDT, but I may go with Focal or Eton. The CDTs are approaching Morel prices and I worry that the JL amp may underpower them a bit too.

CDT AUDIO HD-42 HIGH DEFINITION Model 4" 2-Way Component System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067MR3A..._9juGxbPBJTW2K

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Where is the center tweeter located? I will have to listen to the hifi and see what path I want to take I guess. I replaced all 4 speakers of my current car with component system and use the build in HU amp so the hifi system should sound better already than my current system. I may unplug the center speaker and worry about the rest of the mods first. How much of a difference does unplugging the center speaker make? Also, how do the hifi subs feel?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's right behind the iDrive screen. There's a grill there. Just carefully pry it up and you'll see the speaker. It made a difference with the sound stage and the system sounded less strained. Before I felt like it was blaring at me at high volume which is basically normal volume since you have to be at 80% for the most part.

The under seat subs are.....adequate. They're really more like mid-bass drivers than subs. When I listen to music it's pretty much always rap. Bass is lacking for sure. In fact, there are some songs, like "On my level" by Wiz Khalifa, that will cause the system to go into some weird protection mode and it will muffle the audio and then come back in super bright. It's annoying, but I'm told that this will go away when I swap out the amp. I'll reserve final judgement until after I swap out the amp. I don't expect to get anything anywhere near to what I got with my 12" JL W6 that I had in my last car.

Idk, no matter how I sliced it the HK option wasn't worth it for me. I figure I'll put about $1,000 into the audio when the time comes and end up with a system that's way better than what the HK option has to offer.

That said, people seem to really be enjoying their HK system after some simple and relatively inexpensive speaker swaps. For the same $1,000 (when accounting for HK cost and speaker prices) they're happy with what they've got and probably didn't mess with the balance of ASD much. By the time I do the audio i'll have disabled ASD, so I'm not too worried about that.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I too listen to rap, so changing the subs may be the first thing I do. Hopefully you post up what amp you use and the results, would be really interested in seeing what works. I don't know much about audio and where to begin on ordering an upgraded amp. New amp and subs will probably be done a lot sooner than speaker replacements.

I agree that the HK system doesn't seam worth it. The amps, subs, and speakers I have purchased in the past I have found all 25-50% off retail for brand new ones by just looking for deals online. I'm sure a better setup can be done for $800.

I plan on buying the cable and learning to code to disable ASD. I much rather hear the actual car and just get a new exhaust setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
It's right behind the iDrive screen. There's a grill there. Just carefully pry it up and you'll see the speaker. It made a difference with the sound stage and the system sounded less strained. Before I felt like it was blaring at me at high volume which is basically normal volume since you have to be at 80% for the most part.
Sorry to thread jack, but Bent - I feel like I need to have the volume almost maxed out with windows down and still well above halfway with the car closed up to get mildly loud sound, be it FM radio or Bluetooth streaming. Are you saying you find the same thing?

I never read about it anywhere on here and it made me wonder if I have blown out my ears or if it's just my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redontheline
Quote:
Sorry to thread jack, but Bent - I feel like I need to have the volume almost maxed out with windows down and still well above halfway with the car closed up to get mildly loud sound, be it FM radio or Bluetooth streaming. Are you saying you find the same thing?

I never read about it anywhere on here and it made me wonder if I have blown out my ears or if it's just my car.
Yeah, I pretty much have to have it maxed as well. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Yep, I run around the 75-85% mark on the volume.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0