THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics HK Audio experience questions

03-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #23
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobNM View Post
Since it's the bass that seems to be lacking, I wonder if you can simply add a cheap amp to deliver more power to the under seat subs?
It may be possible. Reach out to Technic over on Bimmerfest. The stock subs are just not going to dig very deep. I replaced mine and now can hit the sub frequency range pretty well, but not with much authority. An amplifier would help a bit, but to play under 50hz, you need a real sub. The shallow 8"ers under the seats are much better suited to midbass. They can do that very well.
      03-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #24
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is it worth the upgrade....no
Did I purchase it....yes

The reason why,
I figured that it puts HK in the car for resale (I bought), sound is more refined over base, I would not have taken it to a audio place and having boom installed, and in my monthly payment you barely notice the additional cost.

Just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
sandyBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i - Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport
Perhaps it's not as good as it should be. But it's still better than the hifi. I don't think I could live with that. HK is actually well balanced and as long as you get the enhanced USB/Bluetooth option it'll sound good. You get your moneys worth with that digital connection. I was using the analog 3.5mm headphone input for awhile. Although I still enjoyed it. I felt like I was robbing myself after I heard the digital interface. (highs and lows were totally being cut out) I wouldn't want any lesser quality so to me it's worth the price. Whether the car should have came with them stock is besides the point. In the end you'll have to live with your choice and to me hifi is not worth living with. This is coming from someone who loves hi fidelity audio and spends extra $$$$ to eek out a little more resolution in my other systems. As far as the bass goes, I have mine turned up to about 80%. It booms when its supposed to and actually has decent extension into the lower frequencies. Never distorting or sounding out of place. It just sounds correct there. If you're looking for a powerful sub that booms way too much and adds inaaprioate amounts of bass then you'll need to go aftermarket. Overall HK is a decent performer.
So you don't get digital signal through the USB port in the center console?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #26
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyBimmer View Post
So you don't get digital signal through the USB port in the center console?

Thanks!
You do. But only if your car has the functionality. I thought I heard 2015s come standard with USB audio input. But I can't verify that. In 2014 I would have had to order the tech package just for that. So I didn't get it and coded it to work. Otherwise the USB was just for charging. It Sounds great now. There might be a stand alone option now to get it to work. Enhanced USB or.. Something like that. Just verify with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #27
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

USB port

I have a 2015 with HK and without tech package and I get digital music through the USB port.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
I'll preface this by saying, I'm no audio geek. I get lost when you guys get technical about audio setups. I listen to a range of music, primarily hard rock/metal, motown for road trips, and classical when I'm in the mood.
That being said, I'm happy with the system and won't be modding it. I'm pleased with the clarity and dimension it provides. It's a step up from the Bose in my Mazda, at least until the volume picks up. On the rare occasion I want to blast my music, things get muddy and the bass falls behind. I agree that we overpaid for what we got.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #29
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
the HK is good enough to listen to at moderate levels. The base lacks depth and power. The mids are clean enough, though mid base distortions kick in once you try to crank it up. Overall its an "acceptable system" but i agree its over priced.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
Aragon
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 220d M-Sport (2G72)

I am a bit disappointed with the HK system. On the one hand it's not terrible for the price, but it's also the top end option when building the car, so I really think it ought to be better just because of that.

Silvermike's description of the sound is spot on, but I'll add that the mids are lacking in clarity for me (muddy sound). The sound stage is tiring, but it can be improved by removing the center speaker, and disconnecting the rear tweeters. Everything actually sounds better like this. Mine also produces an audible hiss when the car is silent (engine off, at night).

I plan to replace some of the stock speakers over time. I wonder if anyone has dug out the amp to see if it can be tuned in any way?

Last edited by Aragon; 05-03-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0