THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum hesitation/missing during partial throttle and low RPMS

10-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
mjx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i xDrive

hesitation/missing during partial throttle and low RPMS

Just seeing if anyone else has experienced this.

Car is currently at 40K miles, 15' M235i with the zf auto. Car only has a BMS intake on it.

Recently, most notably going up hill, at partial throttle the car hesitates/stumbles/misses at lower RPMS. Full throttle doesn't seem to have the same hesitation or if it does, it is much less noticeable.

My next step is to replace the plugs and coils to see if that clears it up.

From the symptoms I'm thinking it has to be either something related to ignition (plugs and coils) or fuel (fuel pump/filter). But at 40K miles I wouldn't think either of those components would be in such poor shape to cause such noticeable hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Plugs or that crap intake. I'd change the intake back to stock and see how it drives.
      10-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
aschmitty6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Plugs or that crap intake. I'd change the intake back to stock and see how it drives.
Had a BMS intake for 20k miles with zero issues. Nothing crap about it.

In response to OP, sounds like your spark plugs are going bad or you have a dirty MAF sensor. OR a boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Bibopp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Check with your BMW shop if your car is concerned by the recall 0016970100. This recall involves faillure from the in tank fuel pump. Your symptoms are exactly the ones mentionned on the recall.

Got exactly the same problem on my M235i 1 week ago, 5 of the 6 spark plugs were completely un-crimped. The porcelain part and the base were free to turn separately. My BMW shop didn't see this kind of problem on the past, surely a defect from spark plugs.

But i got exactly the same symptoms than you. So BMW first checked the recall, was negative and then the spar plugs which were the problem.

Hope it will help you
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjx View Post
Car is currently at 40K miles, 15' M235i with the zf auto. Car only has a BMS intake on it.
How long have you owned the car and how long ago did you put the intake on?

Has the weather recently gotten a lot colder?

Does this happen more on a cold engine and does it seem to go away once the motor is fully warm (about 10 minutes)?
      10-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
mjx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibopp View Post
Check with your BMW shop if your car is concerned by the recall 0016970100. This recall involves faillure from the in tank fuel pump. Your symptoms are exactly the ones mentionned on the recall.

Got exactly the same problem on my M235i 1 week ago, 5 of the 6 spark plugs were completely un-crimped. The porcelain part and the base were free to turn separately. My BMW shop didn't see this kind of problem on the past, surely a defect from spark plugs.

But i got exactly the same symptoms than you. So BMW first checked the recall, was negative and then the spar plugs which were the problem.

Hope it will help you
I checked my VIN online regarding that recall and so far my car is not on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
How long have you owned the car and how long ago did you put the intake on?

Has the weather recently gotten a lot colder?

Does this happen more on a cold engine and does it seem to go away once the motor is fully warm (about 10 minutes)?
The intake has been on for about 20K miles, this issue just started recently.

Seems like as the weather has been getting cooler here, the issue is less noticeable.

Issue seems to be present whether the car is warm or just started.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Bibopp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

So maybe the spark plugs like the problem i had few days ago.
Appreciate 0