THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics USB Format

08-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
M2Rob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

USB Format

Hi all,

I have searched to no end and have been unable to ascertain the answer. So, I will throw it out here prior to going crazy. I have a 2018 M2, LCI, with the HK system.

I have a 128gb USB that is loaded with my music collection. I have them organized into artists, and then albums as sub-directories. As you may imagine, under "various artists", there are a number of compilations from different places.

The HK radio head unit reads these in based on the album they come from (guess it is imbedded in MP3's/WMA's/etc). Instead of how it is organized on the USB drive. Which is opposite how my Audi does it.

This is problematic because if you search by album, it creates a 1000 albums with one song. And it takes forever to scroll through the albums.

Does anyone know how the head unit looks at the USB drive, and how I can manage the way it sees the files?

BTW - On the plus side, because of this, my son discovered that if you use your finger on the top of the iDrive knob to write the name, it searches based on that. No one ever told me that.
      08-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
FX TR8R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Seaside Blue 230i

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rob View Post
Does anyone know how the head unit looks at the USB drive, and how I can manage the way it sees the files?
I have the same setup. The head unit reads the metadata within each file and organizes, accordingly. It took a while to do this. I would recommend simply erasing the drive and re-copying the music, by file (no folders or organization). I use iTunes, so just selected my entire music library, on the "Songs" tab, and dragged them to the USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
buster-riley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i 6MT no sunroof

OK this is my problem too. The H-K headhunt must read the ID tags. I have absolutely no uniformity in my ID tags as I use JRiver media center. Does anyone know what tags are read and in what order?

My audiobooks show up as Music and I have some MP3 music files that I don't see until i look at "Books"

Does it sort by file type first? Flac, wav, MP3 etc.

Any methodology to interrogate the system?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Mike240i
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

My main music storage device is a 80GB iPod Classic and my backup is a 32GB HP thumb drive. They both get music from the same source although via iTunes for the iPod and via Windows File Manager for the thumb drive.

The source folder has no subfolders. All music files in one folder with the following naming scheme: "artist-year-album-track-song.mp3".

Both Microsoft and Apple ignore the "The" (not "The The") so "The Smiths" is sorted as "Smiths" both in filenames and in metadata.

But that's where the similarities end. When the car's system reads the iPod, albums are sorted alphabetically because it's being read via the iPod's operating system. When the car reads the thumb drive, albums appear by release year because it's being read via the FAT32 filename system.

I hope this helps.

NOTES:
- Use MP3Tags to correct errors made by iTunes and add album art.
- Remove "Disc #" from metadata and use continuous numbering as if it came off one giant CD. Example: "The Wall" instead of "The Wall Disc 1" etc.
- Add "(Featured artists)" to the song title, not to the main artist's name. Example: "Walk This Way (Featuring Aerosmith)", not "RUN DMC Featuring Aerosmith" or "RUN DMC/Aerosmith".
- Replace "Various artists" with actual artist. This way you can see all of an artist's songs but still hear a particular song within the context of a compilation or soundtrack album.
- Use "album artist" for DJ compilations so you know who put together the album even when each song was produced by other artists. (This is a tricky subject for many.)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
buster-riley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i 6MT no sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike240i View Post
My main music storage device is a 80GB iPod Classic and my backup is a 32GB HP thumb drive. They both get music from the same source although via iTunes for the iPod and via Windows File Manager for the thumb drive.

The source folder has no subfolders. All music files in one folder with the following naming scheme: "artist-year-album-track-song.mp3".

Both Microsoft and Apple ignore the "The" (not "The The") so "The Smiths" is sorted as "Smiths" both in filenames and in metadata.

But that's where the similarities end. When the car's system reads the iPod, albums are sorted alphabetically because it's being read via the iPod's operating system. When the car reads the thumb drive, albums appear by release year because it's being read via the FAT32 filename system.

I hope this helps.

NOTES:
- Use MP3Tags to correct errors made by iTunes and add album art.
- Remove "Disc #" from metadata and use continuous numbering as if it came off one giant CD. Example: "The Wall" instead of "The Wall Disc 1" etc.
- Add "(Featured artists)" to the song title, not to the main artist's name. Example: "Walk This Way (Featuring Aerosmith)", not "RUN DMC Featuring Aerosmith" or "RUN DMC/Aerosmith".
- Replace "Various artists" with actual artist. This way you can see all of an artist's songs but still hear a particular song within the context of a compilation or soundtrack album.
- Use "album artist" for DJ compilations so you know who put together the album even when each song was produced by other artists. (This is a tricky subject for many.)
Thanks this was very helpful. I will edit my files some more in JRiver media center 24, then synch my big thumb drive. Right now I get album art on my screen but the multi disk names confuse the H-K system.
Appreciate 1