THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Gimme a crash course on this car

11-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
You should not stack tunes unless you are full bolt on, and logging.

PPL have been doing this since n54 days.

Almost every person on this board with port injection is stacking a JB4 with a dme flash tune, so not sure what this guy is talking about.

I have had a jb+ ontop a flash tune for 3 years, no issue. Depends on your map and tuner tho.
Does the jb+ add boost to a flash tune also? that never occurred to me as an option but interesting if it does and i'm guessing yes if your using it.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
Does the jb+ add boost to a flash tune also? that never occurred to me as an option but interesting if it does and i'm guessing yes if your using it.

what do you think?

Since this has been asked at least 5 times with more FUD being thrown out than actual information, I will go into detail.

Flash tune, we all know what that does right? Increase fuel maps, pull timing, more air, more hp. great. But, spending hours with a specific tuner that knows alot about the n55, 235, we all know who i'm talking about here.... the car cant handle really anything over 18 psi without compromise. What does this mean?

Well for one, misfiring. i had tunes work fantastic in comfort or dsc off, but misfire in sports/sports +. I have had 4 flash tunes from different ppl, 3 of them gave me some super aggressive map that would misfire after 5th gear. They all had the same response, its your HPFP. Ok great. I dont want to add meth or PI, how about you tune the car to whats available.

So we are not running the most aggressive flash tune available, why? reliability.

I need more power. I was pulling solid 12.2 quarter miles with flash only on 93. Adding just the jb+ to the car, same night got me to 12.0. Adding higher octane + flash + JB+ got me into the 11s, 11.8.

Again, why would you use a jb+ instead of jb4 or flash tune alone?

Ok, your still not following, its fine. The flash tune lets the car dme make all the decisions. The jb4 removes the decisions from the dme and makes most of the decisions on its own.

The JB+ is dumb, it just makes the car think its driving up high in the mountains. So it will make the DME increase everything slightly, not aggressive at all to deliver a familiar responsiveness as if driving at sea level.

But we are not in the mountains, we are on the track.... so what does the car do? increases everything across the board 4%.... safely. No misfires (most of the time, a few really hot days in august with low octane and you will still get a misfire or two in your really on it) if you did get one, simply turn it down on the jb+, and an increase from 18 psi at peak to 21.9 respectfully. This is good for a few mph in the trap, and at least 2 tenths in time. Proven.

We used to do this in n54 days with cobb.

Is it a hack, sure is. But what are we hacking? Nothing, we are tricking the flashe tuned DME to think the environment is different to add more hp.

Well why couldn't you just add more boost to the flash tune??? Obviously you didn't read above. Misfires.

Is it safe? My car hasn't exploded yet. What parts do you have? Look at my profile.

We worked with Terry at burger to verify everything, although I still don't recommend doing this for the average person.
We have went through different maps, fuel setups, i have about 32 dyno runs to get the car to where it has been for the last year or so.

Hope this helps some of you.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 11-22-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
I need more power. I was pulling solid 12.2 quarter miles with flash only on 93. Adding just the jb+ to the car, same night got me to 12.0. Adding higher octane + flash + JB+ got me into the 11s, 11.8.
Nice. What were your trap speeds for all of this?
      11-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
Estoril6rod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
What do I need to know about the M235i?

Let's say I'm interested, and it will be my daily. I never plan on changing the turbos - ever. I want it to be reliable, I want it to be fun, and I don't think I'll ever go catless.

Best tunes (I'm leaning BPC)
Anyone do MILVs on the N55?
Gas milage respectable?

Anything to look out for?

Don't drive it in a flooded street like one of our forum colleagues

I've had the car for a while now and as far as modifications go I've done the basic engine mods (Intake, CP, DP, IC, better plugs), suspension (dinan springs), wider Apex wheels, brake upgrades (pads, lines, fluids, rotors).. I've also kept up with scheduled maintenance since my car still has some warranty left but I've also done "preventive" out-of-pocket maintenance such as recently replacing that pesky coolant line and doing a full coolant flush while at it. Definitely try to keep up with the fluid changes and general maintenance if you wish to keep this car for the long run.

As far as tunes go I've been running the BM3 stage 2 for 91 octane for around 2 weeks now.

Very, very happy with how I have my car modified and setup right now. As far as the engine goes, I'm done. PERSONALLY (<-- read that again) I don't believe pursuing higher whp and torque is worth it, I'd prefer a more robust engine platform to do that like the S55. Will the N55 and transmission hold much more whp and torque numbers than what a BM3 stage 2 can offer for example? Yeah, probably, just keep in mind that you'll need a fat wallet for all the supporting modifications that goes into that pursuit and for repairs! Don't believe that BS some people throw that "I've had the car for XXXX miles with Pure Stage 2, 0 problems!, daily drives like OEM!, the tranny will hold 9000lbs of torque!" something CAN and WILL break or get damaged eventually. Hey if this is what you want, by all means go for it, just know that it's never a cheap or smooth journey when tackling these kinds of projects.

Have fun with your car man and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #27
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Nice. What were your trap speeds for all of this?
https://www.facebook.com/bryanduncan...2225319971620/

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #28
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

114-115 mph with AWD is really solid for your mods. Nice.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      11-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #29
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
what do you think?

Since this has been asked at least 5 times with more FUD being thrown out than actual information, I will go into detail.

Flash tune, we all know what that does right? Increase fuel maps, pull timing, more air, more hp. great. But, spending hours with a specific tuner that knows alot about the n55, 235, we all know who i'm talking about here.... the car cant handle really anything over 18 psi without compromise. What does this mean?

Well for one, misfiring. i had tunes work fantastic in comfort or dsc off, but misfire in sports/sports +. I have had 4 flash tunes from different ppl, 3 of them gave me some super aggressive map that would misfire after 5th gear. They all had the same response, its your HPFP. Ok great. I dont want to add meth or PI, how about you tune the car to whats available.

So we are not running the most aggressive flash tune available, why? reliability.

Again, why would you use a jb+ instead of jb4 or flash tune alone?

Ok, your still not following, its fine. The flash tune lets the car dme make all the decisions. The jb4 removes the decisions from the dme and makes most of the decisions on its own.

The JB+ is dumb, it just makes the car think its driving up high in the mountains. So it will make the DME increase everything slightly, not aggressive at all to deliver a familiar responsiveness as if driving at sea level.

But we are not in the mountains, we are on the track.... so what does the car do? increases everything across the board 4%.... safely. No misfires (most of the time, a few really hot days in august with low octane and you will still get a misfire or two in your really on it) if you did get one, simply turn it down on the jb+, and an increase from 18 psi at peak to 21.9 respectfully. This is good for a few mph in the trap, and at least 2 tenths in time. Proven.

We used to do this in n54 days with cobb.

Is it a hack, sure is. But what are we hacking? Nothing, we are tricking the flashe tuned DME to think the environment is different to add more hp.

Well why couldn't you just add more boost to the flash tune??? Obviously you didn't read above. Misfires.

Is it safe? My car hasn't exploded yet. What parts do you have? Look at my profile.

We worked with Terry at burger to verify everything, although I still don't recommend doing this for the average person.
We have went through different maps, fuel setups, i have about 32 dyno runs to get the car to where it has been for the last year or so.

Hope this helps some of you.
It was very informative, thank you. My question was only would the JB+ on top of a flash tune be effective, the answer is yes. I have a fair amount of tune experience, I certainly understand what the flash does and what the piggy does. I've also used flash tunes on my N54 and also my Subaru's. Now with my N55, I guess I didn't consider the JB+ as a little boost controller on top of what my MHD flash tune is currently providing, which i'm very happy with. Great numbers BTW, you obviously have a lot of trial and error feedback to give the community and I/we appreciate it.
Thanks...……….
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I’m looking for ways to keep power after 5500rpm and to make it more fun to drive. We’ll see what’s I come up with.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #31
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
I’m looking for ways to keep power after 5500rpm and to make it more fun to drive. We’ll see what’s I come up with.
Pure Stage 2 turbo is pretty much the only viable and reliable answer here. The the stock turbo N55 in the M235 has peak power around ~6,000-6,200 rpms and holds 90%+ of the power to 7,000 rpm fuel cut. The Pure Stage 2 will make power peak power in the 6,500-6,700 rpm range at the expense of a bit more torque lag.

If you want the cheapest way to preserve the M235 N55 powerband, then simply do a downpipe and perhaps a built LSD with a 3.46 gear set vs the stock 3.08. The primary issue with tunes on these motors is that they add a lot more low and midrange power thus wrecking the NA-like power delivery BMW strived to deliver. It's also why it's so easy to gain so much power in the low/mid range as BMW intentionally left power on the table. When a tune is added, the peak power tends to shift down into the mid 5,000rpm range thus giving the sensation of the N55 running out of breath above 6,000 rpms.
      11-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Pure Stage 2 turbo is pretty much the only viable and reliable answer here. The the stock turbo N55 in the M235 has peak power around ~6,000-6,200 rpms and holds 90%+ of the power to 7,000 rpm fuel cut. The Pure Stage 2 will make power peak power in the 6,500-6,700 rpm range at the expense of a bit more torque lag.

If you want the cheapest way to preserve the M235 N55 powerband, then simply do a downpipe and perhaps a built LSD with a 3.46 gear set vs the stock 3.08. The primary issue with tunes on these motors is that they add a lot more low and midrange power thus wrecking the NA-like power delivery BMW strived to deliver. It's also why it's so easy to gain so much power in the low/mid range as BMW intentionally left power on the table. When a tune is added, the peak power tends to shift down into the mid 5,000rpm range thus giving the sensation of the N55 running out of breath above 6,000 rpms.
Oh, I know.
I hate seeing how tuners pump up the boost and power to obsurd levels only for its to fall on its face by 6000rpm (the PWG turbos were the worst, It looked a a power and for a truck)

The B58 has got it right - linear powerbad that increases almost to fuel cutoff. The N55 can’t do that, but you can get close. I’m looking into a few good intake options, inlet pipe (mostly to hold consistent boost) and MILVs.

We’ll see what happens
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Yeah, the B58 does hold power to fuel cut, but it's not super fun to drive as power comes on strong to 5,100-5,300 rpms, peaks there, and then it just holds the power. Great for 90+mph acceleration, but it lacks a building sensation of the N55 as power peaks in the B58 nearly 1,000 rpms earlier. It's hard to explain unless you've driven one. The B58 is undoubtedly the more powerful motor, but I wouldn't say it's more fun to drive or even listen to.

Remove the engine cover and underhood heat panel from the N55 and it sounds like an old school NA I6 BMW.
      11-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #34
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
114-115 mph with AWD is really solid for your mods. Nice.
It's at least there... I lost 37 lbs, best weight savings, start with driver....

Im confident with my setup now I can hit 11.6's... just need to get down to a rental.
Appreciate 1
Blu3RSX27.50
      11-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the B58 does hold power to fuel cut, but it's not super fun to drive as power comes on strong to 5,100-5,300 rpms, peaks there, and then it just holds the power. Great for 90+mph acceleration, but it lacks a building sensation of the N55 as power peaks in the B58 nearly 1,000 rpms earlier. It's hard to explain unless you've driven one. The B58 is undoubtedly the more powerful motor, but I wouldn't say it's more fun to drive or even listen to.

Remove the engine cover and underhood heat panel from the N55 and it sounds like an old school NA I6 BMW.
Looked up a few graphs and mods, and I'm less impressed that I was before.
Still hoping to hold around 18PSI at redline with a turbo inlet and MILVs.

SeanWRT You think it's possible?
Appreciate 0