THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Steering Lock Failure (Failed MOT)

05-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Steering Lock Failure (Failed MOT)

So i've had my car fail its MOT today because the steering lock isn't engaging. There have been no warning lights, codes or symptoms indicating any issues with this up until today, but the steering wheel does indeed move freely when parked with door open. Apparently its a coding issue that only the dealer can fix (no doubt at extortionate cost) and I've got 14 working days to have it fixed or my car is deemed unroadworthy, uninsurable and illegal to be driven on the public highway. Has anyone experienced this fault before? Is it an easy (and hopefully reasonably cheap) fix?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update: Think its been a cock up on the testers part actually. Im not getting any fault codes with my reader and of course the car isn't displaying any warning lights or error messages. Steering operates perfectly and other BMW autos I've looked at have a bit of play in the steering when parked but you can't actually put any lock on the wheels. Its got a transmission lock and i'm sure only manuals have the electronic steering lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Explanation of resolution to the issue here for anyone who may be affected by this in the future:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post23225811
Appreciate 0