THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How to go about developing a product?

08-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

How to go about developing a product?

I am very new to this and have no idea how to get it going.

My wife and I recently talked and brainstormed and figured out a product. Let's just say it's something that will help parents to NOT forget that they have a baby at the back seat. I don't recall seeing this in the market yet.

How do I start? Draw prototypes? I work in healthcare and absolutely have no idea how to make a prototype or make something out of nothing. I googled and read that this is the first step. Can anybody please point me to the right direction, any tips/advice? Sites where i can find more useful info would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Before you start making a design I would do a market study on how you're going to bring this product into market first.

There's a lot of variables to think about minus the huge cost involved in tooling up for something like this. Pm me if you have any questions. I do product development/management
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Before you start making a design I would do a market study on how you're going to bring this product into market first.

There's a lot of variables to think about minus the huge cost involved in tooling up for something like this. Pm me if you have any questions. I do product development/management
Thanks R3dliner. I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Official NOCO
NoCo's Marketing Pawn
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mazda6 GT - I mean a BMW?

I might be able to help with advice if you PM me as well. Working as a product designer.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
I am very new to this and have no idea how to get it going.

My wife and I recently talked and brainstormed and figured out a product. Let's just say it's something that will help parents to NOT forget that they have a baby at the back seat. I don't recall seeing this in the market yet.

How do I start? Draw prototypes? I work in healthcare and absolutely have no idea how to make a prototype or make something out of nothing. I googled and read that this is the first step. Can anybody please point me to the right direction, any tips/advice? Sites where i can find more useful info would be great.

Thanks in advance!
What about something that prevents parents that forget their baby in the back seat from being parents in the first place? Shark Tank here I come.
Appreciate 5
smoosh2211.50
bosstones1144.00
sirdaft12193.50
upstatedoc7555.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Thanks to R3dliner but wow this seems to be a big undertaking for it to even materialize and get to prototype phase.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

It sounds like what you are trying to do is start a business based on your idea. Find a local SBTDC office and speak with a counselor about classes you can take to understand this process.

Dont build anything. Talk to people first, figure out who the customers actually are, understand if they agree with you that it is a problem AND one they are willing to pay for. There is no sense in going down this path based on your own observations or feelings alone, it is all about the customer.
      08-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It sounds like what you are trying to do is start a business based on your idea. Find a local SBTDC office and speak with a counselor about classes you can take to understand this process.

Dont build anything. Talk to people first, figure out who the customers actually are, understand if they agree with you that it is a problem AND one they are willing to pay for. There is no sense in going down this path based on your own observations or feelings alone, it is all about the customer.
SBTDC? Small business ...

Yeah I will look into that, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't want to burst your bubble, but there are phone apps like this now, IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

That reminds me to a very old story as Battlefield 2142 was released and grewed into my circle to one of the most and longest played games...
On of my mates are leaving our private LAN and went home. After a few minutes he got a phonecall:
"Did ya miss something dude?"
"Let me see...cigarettes, lighter, Battlefield DVD...no, I got it"
"Hmm...your daughter?"
"****! Sorry man, Im on the way"
"Nooo problem"

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      08-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

I assume the first step you did was a google search to see what was currently out there:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=don%27t+forget+baby+in+car+device

after you check those links, if you feel your product is still novel, do a quick patent search. Again, google is a good starting point:
https://patents.google.com/
do multiple searches for various key words. When patent searching, you need to think in two ways:

First - am I infringing - Does my product have all the elements described in someone else's independent claim? Focus strictly on claim language for this review

Second - is my device novel - Is there prior art that has been publicly disclosed that would block me from patenting my device myself. This prior art search isn't limited to only US patents, but to publications, brochures, websites, anywhere that is in the public domain.

If you really want to get fancy, go to uspto.gov and look into searching via classifications. This will group all patents based on their 'type of art' and allow you to drill down into specific areas more easily.
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-applic...nd-development

Assuming all that goes well for you (sorry, but based on my knowledge of the industry it probably won't), I'd suggest your next step would be to document your invention and work with a patent attorney to file a provisional application. This will give you the ability to share the idea with others for relatively low cost and keep ownership assuming you find value in the idea and want to continue pursuing the patent. You can choose here if you want to try to sell / license the idea to an established baby products company or continue to develop it yourself.

From there, lots of small product development companies will help you bring your idea to fruition at a cost. A really good one is:
http://www.designthinkstudios.com/

I've worked with these guys often, they have particularly good experience in the juvenile industry.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
bimmette6452.50
sirdaft12193.50
      08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What about calling my friend, George Foreman???
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      08-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I assume the first step you did was a google search to see what was currently out there:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=don%27t+forget+baby+in+car+device

after you check those links, if you feel your product is still novel, do a quick patent search. Again, google is a good starting point:
https://patents.google.com/
do multiple searches for various key words. When patent searching, you need to think in two ways:

First - am I infringing - Does my product have all the elements described in someone else's independent claim? Focus strictly on claim language for this review

Second - is my device novel - Is there prior art that has been publicly disclosed that would block me from patenting my device myself. This prior art search isn't limited to only US patents, but to publications, brochures, websites, anywhere that is in the public domain.

If you really want to get fancy, go to uspto.gov and look into searching via classifications. This will group all patents based on their 'type of art' and allow you to drill down into specific areas more easily.
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-applic...nd-development

Assuming all that goes well for you (sorry, but based on my knowledge of the industry it probably won't), I'd suggest your next step would be to document your invention and work with a patent attorney to file a provisional application. This will give you the ability to share the idea with others for relatively low cost and keep ownership assuming you find value in the idea and want to continue pursuing the patent. You can choose here if you want to try to sell / license the idea to an established baby products company or continue to develop it yourself.

From there, lots of small product development companies will help you bring your idea to fruition at a cost. A really good one is:
http://www.designthinkstudios.com/

I've worked with these guys often, they have particularly good experience in the juvenile industry.

Good luck.
I second, third, fourth this.

On top of that, do your due diligence OBJECTIVELY. I've seen too many failed entrepreneurs who get bruised ego's after seeing there was no market for their product/other much larger competitors in the space/etc. who continued to push development, not because it was a good business idea, but because of their ego. Look at everything objectively and understand what your value proposition and competitive advantage is before proceeding.

Sleep on your idea. What may seem like the next layup multi-million dollar venture one day, may seem a little less thrilling if you give it a few weeks to simmer.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
I second, third, fourth this.

On top of that, do your due diligence OBJECTIVELY. I've seen too many failed entrepreneurs who get bruised ego's after seeing there was no market for their product/other much larger competitors in the space/etc. who continued to push development, not because it was a good business idea, but because of their ego. Look at everything objectively and understand what your value proposition and competitive advantage is before proceeding.

Sleep on your idea. What may seem like the next layup multi-million dollar venture one day, may seem a little less thrilling if you give it a few weeks to simmer.
And for goodness sake, call a competent patent attorney and stop asking about things of this nature on a public forum.

PM me and I will provide you with one, if you don't already have one.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This isn't directed at you OP. But one thing that I heard recently about the pop start-up culture and couldn't help but chuckle...

"Kid's no longer start bands. They start start-ups."
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #16
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
And for goodness sake, call a competent patent attorney and stop asking about things of this nature on a public forum.

I'd commend the OP for posting about this in a public forum. Far too many entrepreneurs keep their ideas in the dark without soliciting feedback. The reality is that there are FAR more ideas in the world than individuals willing to do the hard work of bringing the idea to fruition.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #17
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

I have a GREAT patent attorney in Chi-town if you're ever bidding your work out and want a recommendation.

edited because I quotes a sirdraft1 post by mistake... sorry.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
Official NOCO
NoCo's Marketing Pawn
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mazda6 GT - I mean a BMW?

OP I would recommend deleting this thread as having an un-patened idea on a public website is a good way to undermine your entire concept.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I have a GREAT patent attorney in Chi-town if you're ever bidding your work out and want a recommendation.

edited because I quotes a sirdraft1 post by mistake... sorry.
Thanks!
It never hurts to expand the network.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #20
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

After following aforementioned advice - I have a few target market/revenue and financial statements forecasting templates, if you would like. Just PM me w/ email address
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Do parents seriously forget they have their baby in the back seat??

I know some idiot parents leave child in seat on purpose but on accident ?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #22
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Do parents seriously forget they have their baby in the back seat??

I know some idiot parents leave child in seat on purpose but on accident ?!!
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...by+in+backseat

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0