THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Consumer Reports Test - BMW M235i ranked #3

09-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #45
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I've never seen people been so proud of coming 3rd.

The way I was brought up

'Second place is the first of the lossers' - Finishing third is nothing to be proud of if you want to be the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:16 AM   #46
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

The way I was brought up

'Second place is the first of the lossers' - Finishing third is nothing to be proud of if you want to be the best.
Looking at it another way, it came in as the top ranked petro-powered vehicle..
And for those who as still old school car aficionados, that pretty good.
      09-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #47
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertg21 View Post
http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-tes...rin-1600644908

Sorry but I'll take the M235 any day. At least I'll make it around the Ring without limp mode. The Ring is a staple for sports cars. IMO, shouldn't call it a sports car if it can't lap the Ring.
I'm sorry but that is just so silly. Who ever said that Tesla is a sports car?

While I'm not interested in one, doesn't mean I don't respect it as a normal road car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 05:34 AM   #48
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm sorry but that is just so silly. Who ever said that Tesla is a sports car?

While I'm not interested in one, doesn't mean I don't respect it as a normal road car.
For quite some time now there's a large contingent of Tesla fanboys who point to its 0-60 time and skidpad to claim it will go up against any supercar. You see a lot of them on Reddit. They're clueless and love to circlejerk.

Last edited by Y0tsuya; 09-06-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

This manufacturer picked the wrong name for its products. Tesla was a visionary that brought evolution. This is not the case.

I am for evolution and finding new forms of energy, but here is not the case.

There are many wrong facts with the electric vehicle, from the "no green at all" aspect, to the exorbitant price requested for a box with batteries and four electric motors, price that will not be regained by owner except that vehicle runs trouble free for a looong time. And many of you don't even keep a car for so long. The batteries however, have a lifespam, they do suffer from temperature variations, they loose the ability to store energy, and they die, needing replacement; a very costly replacement. And a not green one at all...

This electric car has half ton of batteries that deliver around 80-90 Kilowatt-hours of energy.
A combustion engine vehicle has a tank that weights 30 kg and delivers over 350 kW hour energy.
20 times lighter and at least four times more efficient.

Batteries have an energy density of aprox 0.5 MJ/Kg
Gasoline has an energy density of about 47 MJ/kg.

An electric car requires charging, a station and power. And time; a lot of time to charge it; 9 hours of charging time. You can not storage the electricity in a jug. Even if they invent that, think about the weight and longevity. Bye bye freedom.
Please don't bring the pollution fact in this matter; read before you speak and see all the experiments done. A low sulphur diesel is at the same level with your beloved EV.
Did I mention the special metals needed? Not sustainable by this earth, not to mention the cost and pollution in digging for them.
Anyway, long story short, a petrol engine is at least 4 times more effcieint and reliable in terms of beeing ready to go anytime and on long distances. Also its energy is storable without loosing its properties.
You can also read your government statistics until tomorrow, it is not a healthy car. We are in a emf polluted environment. The worse you can do, is to put yourself voluntarily in a emf radiated box.
Your pick, your money.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #50
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

The way I was brought up

Really?

First, take a look at the hardware the M235i beat. Secondly, the so-called "winners" cost a great deal more.

My conclusion: M235i is first in class.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #51
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I sleep fine with third.
BTW...it was 2nd in 2014

-Coming in 3rd for "Best car" is like coming in 3rd at the Olympic 100 yard dash. You're still pretty freaking good.

-I love the fact that many of the cars surrounding the M235i on this list cost 2-3x as much. It certainly wins in the "good/fast/cheap" triangle for these premium brands. Seats 4 in a pinch, reasonable trunk space, 30+ mpg and you won't lose your teeth driving over rough pavement. All for ~$45k. For a car this practical and affordable to be within a whiff of the performance numbers of these others is crazy-good.

-Here's an obscure video with some of the drivers from Consumer Reports discussing their faves from 2014. They are all real car guys and it's not coincidental that several of them list the M235i in their top 3 cars. The descriptions they give are also on point, IMO:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...e-57/index.htm

-Even within the BMW brand, it's stunning that this little car is hoisted above the venerable 3 series, M3/4 and other standard bearers. There's a reason why the "Car & Driver 10 best" pulled the 3 series (after a gazillion years on the list) and inserted the M235i. When you go to a BMW dealership these days, most of the cars have gotten big, squishy and expensive. Heck the 3 series is getting challenged (and sometimes beaten) by Cadillac, Lexus, Audi, etc. If BMW can't get their other lines to be fast, fun and practical like in days of yore, I'm certainly glad that they've provided the M235i as a worthy substitution.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #52
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:

The way I was brought up

...seriously?

Nobody here had a hand in designing or manufacturing the car. Even if it got 1st place, YOU had nothing to do with it. By the same token, if you're taking this news with any emotional investment beyond "cool, neat" you need to re-evaluate your life.
Appreciate 0