THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF Downpipe - Catted vs Catless

12-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
12Artleye
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

VRSF Downpipe - Catted vs Catless

Hey All,

I have a '14 M235i 6MT and recently got BM3 Stage 1 (93 Fuel). Now I'm itching to get to Stage 2 so I need to do FBO. I'm not planning to go at all past FBO and Stage 2 tune in the future as it's my daily and I don't want to ruin its residual value.

I'm looking to stick with VRSF as they have great reviews and are by far the cheapest. My questions are specific to VRSF Downpipes. Can anyone give their experiences with them? I'm not concerned about a CEL since I have BM3 and I assume that should mean it'll be holdback the CEL code can pass MD State Emissions where it's a self-service OBD2 station with no visual inspection needed.

My biggest concern that will drive my decision is if there is a gas smell from the catless and how much it drones and/or how loud it is. I don't want an obnoxious sounding car that smells like gas all the time. I want it to sound good and sporty, but not crazy.

I'm also curious why VRSF High Flow Catted is only $350 but Fabspeed and a few others are more like $1000-1300. They both say they are 200 Cell High Flow Cats. Is the VRSF one super low quality or are the others over-engineered? It makes me suspicious
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

So regarding smell, it will be significantly less smell then going catless, for most you won't smell anything at all. The cats do smooth out the sound and make it less raspy and overall not as loud.

VRSF uses good cats but they are not of the same standard or performance as what Fabspeed uses. VRSF is also overseas where Fabspeed is built right here in the US. Fabspeed uses a very high-quality core for their sport cat downpipe and they use an HJS Euro Cat for the superior model.

If you want a long-lasting high-quality cat, consider the Fabspeed. The VRSF is great for the enthusiast who just wants a cat to smooth out some sound and smell and emissions.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
12Artleye
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
So regarding smell, it will be significantly less smell then going catless, for most you won't smell anything at all. The cats do smooth out the sound and make it less raspy and overall not as loud.

VRSF uses good cats but they are not of the same standard or performance as what Fabspeed uses. VRSF is also overseas where Fabspeed is built right here in the US. Fabspeed uses a very high-quality core for their sport cat downpipe and they use an HJS Euro Cat for the superior model.

If you want a long-lasting high-quality cat, consider the Fabspeed. The VRSF is great for the enthusiast who just wants a cat to smooth out some sound and smell and emissions.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff! I just have one followup question. Does the superior quality of Fabspeed's core translate to any noticeable performance and/or reliability with the motor? I am guessing the answer is no, but I want to ask the community that is far more knowledgable than me.

I'm definitely leaning towards VRSF. If I had the money to buy all the most expensive bolt-ons, I probably would have just bought the M2.
Appreciate 1
KjPerry17.50
      12-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

VRSF does not have a good reputation for quality and fitment on the BMW forums. I suggest spending the money on a more quality catted downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Artleye View Post
Thanks for the reply, Jeff! I just have one followup question. Does the superior quality of Fabspeed's core translate to any noticeable performance and/or reliability with the motor? I am guessing the answer is no, but I want to ask the community that is far more knowledgable than me.

I'm definitely leaning towards VRSF. If I had the money to buy all the most expensive bolt-ons, I probably would have just bought the M2.
performance is the same, quality of the cats translates to a better chance of no CEL

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Catted, get something with an HJS cat, like Fabspeed.

Catless, VRSF, it's a pipe, nothing crazy... I've had my SS/coated 4" catless DP installed for 40k kms, and no issues whatsoever.
      12-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Artleye View Post

Ceramic Cat <> Metal Cat can make a difference for longevity / pops and bangs / CEL coming on etc.
Flow is dependant from cell count etc and the lower the count the more likely it is to get a CEL but the less restrictive it is too
But and educated guess would be that any performance differences are very small and might have more to do with the DP design 4 inch 4.5 inch etc that with the cat core used
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Any measurable performance differences between going with a catless down pipe vs a 200 or 300 cell catted down pipe....HP / TQ / throttle response ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
Any measurable performance differences between going with a catless down pipe vs a 200 or 300 cell catted down pipe....HP / TQ / throttle response ?
1 thing to keep in mind, not all cats are equal even if they have the same CEL count.

With proven brands, performance gain is the same on stock turbo

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Bm3 stage 2 mild burble with the vrsf on my car, stock midpipe&axleback and I love it
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
ghenry0519
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

VRSF Catted

I purchased a VRSF Catted downpipe from Extreme Power House. First off best FBO deal out there hands down if you're looking for it. Performance wise there's clearly a large improvement over stock. I will say it does throw a CEL code every now and then but I bought a JB4 (purchased the Bluetooth Connectivity Kit from EPH too) and downloaded the app. Life made easy as I can clear the codes while driving no issue. Takes all of 30 seconds to clear and only comes on maybe once a month or so. I also love the fact I can see the gauges IAT, AFR, etc. Overall, if you're looking to avoid a CEL, VRSF is not the way but it can be managed. If you're flashing the car I'm pretty sure that it takes care of/clears the code as well depending on the flash. I like the JB4 option because I can just remove it and i'm back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenry0519 View Post
I purchased a VRSF Catted downpipe from Extreme Power House. First off best FBO deal out there hands down if you're looking for it. Performance wise there's clearly a large improvement over stock. I will say it does throw a CEL code every now and then but I bought a JB4 (purchased the Bluetooth Connectivity Kit from EPH too) and downloaded the app. Life made easy as I can clear the codes while driving no issue. Takes all of 30 seconds to clear and only comes on maybe once a month or so. I also love the fact I can see the gauges IAT, AFR, etc. Overall, if you're looking to avoid a CEL, VRSF is not the way but it can be managed. If you're flashing the car I'm pretty sure that it takes care of/clears the code as well depending on the flash. I like the JB4 option because I can just remove it and i'm back to stock.
Thank you for the support and congrats

Appreciate 0