THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Stage 1 Thoughts

11-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
jloco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Stage 1 Thoughts

While I am waiting for my parts to show up for stage 2 FBO, i am upgrading from stock to stage 1 map using bootmod3. Lets get some specs out of the way.

-2016 F22 M235 Xdrive Auto
-NGK plugs SILZKBR8D8S (97506) gapped .022 - recommended by bootmod3
-Injen Intake
-bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 91 Octane version 6.4

Install for the spark plugs was easy after removing the cowlings to get to the last 2 injectors. The YouTube videos are accurate for the removal and install.

Install for the Injen Intake was easy using he supplied manufacturer directions. Careful disconnecting the stock intake, mine had a bunch of loose dust that almost spilled into the Intercooler.

Flashing the Ecu was interesting. Bootmod3 recommended using an external charger because of potential battery failure or low current during the unlock process of the DME, but I haven’t had any issues with battery and gave it a whirl. I used a laptop with the Ethernet to ODB port cable. Unlock and flash took about 3 minutes. Upon flash, I was getting the typical drivetrain malfunctions (it was a little nerve racking seeing the errors) that bootmod3 software said I might get and told me to recode DME. Went into diagnostics and recoded with success. Cleared errors from flashing and started it up with no problems.

Perceived changes (I say perceived because I am not going to Dyno or time anything ):

I had driven the car stock for about a year. Here are the things standing out to me.

Intake related: Can definitely hear the vacuuming sound of the air being sucked in by the turbo and the blow off sounding hiss when coming off the throttle but only when turbo is working. If not getting on it, it’s quiet / non-existent. You can hear that it’s there when the windows are up but it’s not loud. If you have the windows down, you get the full experience of it. I am really liking the sound of the turbos, definitely make the car sound sportier.

Stage 1 related: I can feel more power when accelerating, but the more pleasant surprise was the smoothness of the powerband. The stock map in comparison was not as smooth in power delivery and felt like it was holding Back or lagging some. Seems like this map has released all horses with a few more and now the car is alive. Eco mode is unchanged, comfort is more responsive, sport and sport plus is super responsive. I was expecting more power but was surprised at the smoothness of it. Not sure if it’s just the map or a combination of intake spark plugs and map. Either way, I’m very happy with it.

I thought I would share my thoughts on it and some more context other than the usual dyno sheets, etc. For those on the fence about it, go for it, it’s like pulling the factory engine training wheels off which will bring more joy to your ride. Thanks to mike at Extreme Powerhouse for a combo deal and he is super easy to work with.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
While I am waiting for my parts to show up for stage 2 FBO, i am upgrading from stock to stage 1 map using bootmod3. Lets get some specs out of the way.

-2016 F22 M235 Xdrive Auto
-NGK plugs SILZKBR8D8S (97506) gapped .022 - recommended by bootmod3
-Injen Intake
-bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 91 Octane version 6.4

Install for the spark plugs was easy after removing the cowlings to get to the last 2 injectors. The YouTube videos are accurate for the removal and install.

Install for the Injen Intake was easy using he supplied manufacturer directions. Careful disconnecting the stock intake, mine had a bunch of loose dust that almost spilled into the Intercooler.

Flashing the Ecu was interesting. Bootmod3 recommended using an external charger because of potential battery failure or low current during the unlock process of the DME, but I haven’t had any issues with battery and gave it a whirl. I used a laptop with the Ethernet to ODB port cable. Unlock and flash took about 3 minutes. Upon flash, I was getting the typical drivetrain malfunctions (it was a little nerve racking seeing the errors) that bootmod3 software said I might get and told me to recode DME. Went into diagnostics and recoded with success. Cleared errors from flashing and started it up with no problems.

Perceived changes (I say perceived because I am not going to Dyno or time anything ):

I had driven the car stock for about a year. Here are the things standing out to me.

Intake related: Can definitely hear the vacuuming sound of the air being sucked in by the turbo and the blow off sounding hiss when coming off the throttle but only when turbo is working. If not getting on it, it’s quiet / non-existent. You can hear that it’s there when the windows are up but it’s not loud. If you have the windows down, you get the full experience of it. I am really liking the sound of the turbos, definitely make the car sound sportier.

Stage 1 related: I can feel more power when accelerating, but the more pleasant surprise was the smoothness of the powerband. The stock map in comparison was not as smooth in power delivery and felt like it was holding Back or lagging some. Seems like this map has released all horses with a few more and now the car is alive. Eco mode is unchanged, comfort is more responsive, sport and sport plus is super responsive. I was expecting more power but was surprised at the smoothness of it. Not sure if it’s just the map or a combination of intake spark plugs and map. Either way, I’m very happy with it.

I thought I would share my thoughts on it and some more context other than the usual dyno sheets, etc. For those on the fence about it, go for it, it’s like pulling the factory engine training wheels off which will bring more joy to your ride. Thanks to mike at Extreme Powerhouse for a combo deal and he is super easy to work with.
Im running stage 0+ right now and honestly the car is silly fast.

Cant wait to flash to stage one!

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0