THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What is the point of the lower temp oil cooler thermostat?

03-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
dAPEX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i with FBO

Garage List
2015 BMW m235i  [0.00]
What is the point of the lower temp oil cooler thermostat?

What is the point of the lower temp oil cooler thermostat? Is this something that is recommended for reliability? BMS makes one.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Dude, you must be in the same boat as me. I'm FBO and about to pull the trigger on meth. But now scraping the barrel for other incremental mods.

Here's the link:

http://www.burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Has ANYONE installed this? And, if so, does it really improve flow to the oil cooler (i.e. Lower oil temps)?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The factory oil thermostat is very high.

The BMS one will delete the thermostat entirely.

We also offer the AD Engineering which retains a thermostat but opens at a lower point, approx ~180F

Factory operating is close to ~238F which is normal for BMW but considered high compared to other platforms.

The benefit is for those who have trouble keeping the oil temps in check. So deleting it will open up the oil cooler sooner.

I prefer to see oil temps no more then 210F range as that is what most exotic super cars aim for too. As oil surpasses a certain point it breaks down and can potentially sheer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The factory oil thermostat is very high.

The BMS one will delete the thermostat entirely.

We also offer the AD Engineering which retains a thermostat but opens at a lower point, approx ~180F

Factory operating is close to ~238F which is normal for BMW but considered high compared to other platforms.

The benefit is for those who have trouble keeping the oil temps in check. So deleting it will open up the oil cooler sooner.

I prefer to see oil temps no more then 210F range as that is what most exotic super cars aim for too. As oil surpasses a certain point it breaks down and can potentially sheer.
Thanks Jeff! So....any other ways I can monitor oil temps other than the P3 vent gauge?

How hard is the BMS mod? Otherwise how much does the AD engineering mod cost? Finally, has anyone come out with a larger capacity oil cooler?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Thanks Jeff! So....any other ways I can monitor oil temps other than the P3 vent gauge?

How hard is the BMS mod? Otherwise how much does the AD engineering mod cost? Finally, has anyone come out with a larger capacity oil cooler?

Thank you!

Large oil cooler would be great for me in Middle east heat
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post

Thank you!
Install guide is available online: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...stall_Gude.pdf

AD Engineering is a little cheaper. I'm not allowed to discuss pricing in public forums to due to forum regulations.

Feel free to view my site though. I don't know of any oil cooler upgrades as of yet. I believe your M235i monitors oil temp on the dash gauges? Or did they change that? The 07-12 cars had oil temp gauges from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Install guide is available online: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...stall_Gude.pdf

AD Engineering is a little cheaper. I'm not allowed to discuss pricing in public forums to due to forum regulations.

Feel free to view my site though. I don't know of any oil cooler upgrades as of yet. I believe your M235i monitors oil temp on the dash gauges? Or did they change that? The 07-12 cars had oil temp gauges from the factory.
Cool, thanks Jeff. Will PM you.

I have no oil temp on my car - 2014 M235i, without technology package.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Just going to bring this back from the dead as I have reached the end of this research-

It seems that the BMS and FTP are always open solutions, I had to read reviews to find this out. Also AD isn't available anymore, so I didn't bother to look into it, but it looks the same. Always open is not suitable for year round cold climate driven vehicles as it will take longer for the engine oil to reach operating temp if it does at all

Since this thread Mosselman has released a full module that is a true thermostat, not always open, and according to the page it opens at 185F and maintains a stable 203-221F. Does anyone have it? I don't really have many questions about it, and am going to buy it in spring, but I was hoping to find someone who has used it for a little feedback.

Heres the link ($341 usd)
https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/msl-thermostat-n55
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor353 View Post
Just going to bring this back from the dead as I have reached the end of this research-

It seems that the BMS and FTP are always open solutions, I had to read reviews to find this out. Also AD isn't available anymore, so I didn't bother to look into it, but it looks the same. Always open is not suitable for year round cold climate driven vehicles as it will take longer for the engine oil to reach operating temp if it does at all

Since this thread Mosselman has released a full module that is a true thermostat, not always open, and according to the page it opens at 185F and maintains a stable 203-221F. Does anyone have it? I don't really have many questions about it, and am going to buy it in spring, but I was hoping to find someone who has used it for a little feedback.

Heres the link ($341 usd)
https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/msl-thermostat-n55

Hey bud. I have one, and will be doing race testing for mosselman this summer as they are one of my new sponsors.
Very nice company to deal with, fast shipping, and high quality stuff.

You can see the install and follow testing on my ig @theyoungcarmody

I’ll do a thread end of season, once I have data.
Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
Hey bud. I have one, and will be doing race testing for mosselman this summer as they are one of my new sponsors.
Very nice company to deal with, fast shipping, and high quality stuff.

You can see the install and follow testing on my ig @theyoungcarmody

I’ll do a thread end of season, once I have data.

Very good!
Appreciate 0