THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Going straight from D -> M transmission mode

12-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Going straight from D -> M transmission mode

Hi guys,
I was wondering is it possible to (flash/code/whatever) so that if you pull your gearshifter to the left, it engages manual mode directly instead of going into DS first and requiring input through the paddles or gearstick before going in full manual.

The reason I’m asking is because we can already alter the transmission behavior through the drive selector and having a straight to manual mode option would be awesome for locking it into 8th gear on the highway or when overtaking without causing unnecessary up and down shifts because of DS mode, or first pressing a paddle before going into DS mode, yes I know that works, but it’s an additional step and it only works when in 8th or 1st gear without additional up or down shifts.

Thanks to anyone who has any information to share
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I would also love this as I drive in manual all the time and it is not ideal having to make a paddle/shifter + or - selection to get it to go into M as you also make a shift while doing it. I have not found or heard of any way to do it. xHP would probably know the answer to the question if you email them, but it probably would require a custom TCU tune and I'm not sure they do that. Enough interest might make them consider adding it as an option or as part of one of the stage tunes in the future
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

I was already considering emailing them I’ll let you know if I hear back.

I think it would be an awesome addition! Honestly in my opinion the DS mode is a bit of an archaism since that’s how automatics have always worked since forever but it’s not really useful anymore.

If I pull the stick towards me, it means I want control now
Appreciate 0