THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Convertible Top Care Strategy

03-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

Convertible Top Care Strategy

New F23 owner here. And also first time fabric top owner trying to create my care plan for the top. I won’t be taking it to car washes. I’ve already had it professionally coated with a Gtechniq fabric protectant. It’s beading like crazy. Here’s what I’m thinking-- please jump in with feedback and advice from personal experience!

In between washes: lint roller for light dust and pollen removal. I’ve already tried this and it works great. I tried a vacuum and that was way less effective than the lint roller.

Wash time (tentative plan, haven’t washed yet):
If top seems clean I’ll just hose it off and dry with a microfiber towel
If slightly dirty, I’ll use a horsehair brush while hosing it off
If significantly dirty, I’ll try either Griots interior detailer (very gentle) with horsehair brush or interior cleaner (slightly more cleaning power) over the entire top

Bird bombs and other random contamination: maybe just a spritz of water or Griots interior detailer and horsehair brush to spot clean? I’ve read you shouldn’t spot clean a fabric top… but seems better than leaving a bird bomb on it…

Thanks in advance for any feedback or experience! BTW, it’s a moonlight top, which I really like, I think it adds a cool texture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

See https://carcarespecialties.com/soft-top/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

neighborhood across from mine, owners have a very good looking light blue 230 convertible with a dark blue top thats parked outside. and after all these years the top looks fantastic and I don't think they're using any high-end or serious hand washing routine.

just wanted to suggest that you don't need to get too worried about top degradation.

I buy stuff from carcarespecialties, great customer service. P21 auto wash has a very nice car wash soap that seems like it would be excellent for a BMW soft top.

https://www.p21s.com/portfolio/p21s-...oning-shampoo/

Last edited by overcoil; 03-19-2021 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

Raggtop

Recommended by the top manufacturer...
https://wolfsteins.com/products/ragg...protectant-kit
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46ZHP2 View Post
Recommended by the top manufacturer...
https://wolfsteins.com/products/ragg...protectant-kit
+1, this seems to be one I see more often. Just ordered mine and will be trying this
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Was about to ask the same Q. New F23 owner here. Ty for input.
Appreciate 1
VAcurler116.00
      04-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

So I ended up trying the raggtop protectant kit. There is only one choice for the cleaner, however the protectant comes in fabric vs vinyl, I make sure to get fabric for mine. To be honest, I can't really tell much of a different. I
t seems my fabric might have some kind of protection (Not sure if its from previous owner or thats how it come oem from manufacturer). Water was already beading and running off the sides before the application.
However, the piece of mind is sure worth it for me.
Appreciate 0