THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What did you do to your 2 series today?

01-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #3719
pdx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240xc F22 B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
Which shop lowered it for you? Southwest Bimmers here in Las Vegas wants $900 to install springs with an alignment. I don't mind coming down to So Cal to get the springs installed.
that sounds like a deal to me. the cheapest i can find in portland is $1,265.00 to install springs with an alignment. no, that does not include the price of the springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #3720
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6MT MGM/CR

I found a reputable shop here that did all 4 Dinan springs and bump stops for $550. Keep looking! Deals are out there to be had.
03' E46 330ci | 5MT | JB/B (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #3721
dradernh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrop View Post
I found a reputable shop here that did all 4 Dinan springs and bump stops for $550. Keep looking! Deals are out there to be had.
Your $550 is probably pretty close to his $1,265 in Portland. That tracks the ratio of median home prices, anyway. Still, $1,265 does seem a bit excessive.
      01-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #3722
kianf22
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianf22 View Post
Washed it and got it lowered on Dinan Springs. Also added 12mm front and 15mm rear spacers.
Which shop lowered it for you? Southwest Bimmers here in Las Vegas wants $900 to install springs with an alignment. I don't mind coming down to So Cal to get the springs installed.
Precision Dynamics out in Costa Mesa. Quoted 2 hours, $250. No affiliation, first time going there but happy with how everything went I got a quote from someone initially telling me it would be 5 hours ($625) and there's no way to do it any faster and that the fronts by themselves would take 3 hours and the rears may be difficult. Obviously that wasn't true.. I'd shop around a bit more.

To note though, when I came to pickup my car they informed me that they didn't install the rear bump stops, only the fronts as "the rear struts didn't need to come out." They said it shouldn't effect anything and everything felt super solid so I haven't worried about it. I woulda rather had them in but whatever.
2020 M240i Coupe RWD (ZF8) - AP Intake - AA Catted Downpipe - Remus Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust - xHP ST3 - Dinan Springs and Bumpstops - BMS 12mm Front and 15mm Rear Spacers - GazP Side Skirts and Rear Extensions - 20% Window Tint - Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps and Eyelids - IND Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #3723
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R400, M240i, Golf 7 R

Quote:
To note though, when I came to pickup my car they informed me that they didn't install the rear bump stops, only the fronts as "the rear struts didn't need to come out." They said it shouldn't effect anything and everything felt super solid so I haven't worried about it. I woulda rather had them in but whatever.
The "bump stops" on BMWs are not just bump stops, they add to the spring rate under spring compression and contribute to the overall handling balance of the car. They should always be properly matched with the springs and dampers. Under hard cornering the "bump stops" will be in contact with the damper cylinder long before the damper is fully compressed. They actually call them auxiliary shock absorbers, as opposed to bump stops.
Appreciate 1
kianf2228.00

01-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #3724
ngl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Ordered oil thermostat housing, gasket, screws and o-rings from N55 for my N20 "oil heat exchanger" to "oil cooler" conversion.
Quaife LSD | H&R Sway Bars | K&N Drop in filter | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android Navigation | xHP Stage3 | BM3 Stock tune with VMax off
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #3725
nawfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
that sounds like a deal to me. the cheapest i can find in portland is $1,265.00 to install springs with an alignment. no, that does not include the price of the springs.
Portland is probably similar in size to Las Vegas. There are less than 3 BMW tuner shops here in town that I can think of.

Southwest Bimmers wanted $900 with alignment
Eurotek wanted $1100+ with alignment
BMW Only also wanted somewhere around $1100+ with alignment

Southern California probably has the most tuners. European Auto Source in Anaheim, CA quoted me around $450 without an alignment.
I'm seriously considering kianf22's recommendation since it is half of what EAS quoted me.

Last edited by nawfoo; 01-22-2021 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
kianf2228.00

01-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #3726
kianf22
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
The "bump stops" on BMWs are not just bump stops, they add to the spring rate under spring compression and contribute to the overall handling balance of the car. They should always be properly matched with the springs and dampers. Under hard cornering the "bump stops" will be in contact with the damper cylinder long before the damper is fully compressed. They actually call them auxiliary shock absorbers, as opposed to bump stops.
Yeah, I mean I was pretty annoyed that I paid for it and half of it got installed. They did not call to ask me, just decided to not do the rears and let me know when I picked it up.. If they would have called and asked for more $ I would have gave them it but that option wasn't given to me.

Because the price was good and the car felt good, I didn't bother saying anything. Maybe I should? They told me it wouldn't effect the drop or handling, just maybe comfort on freeway dips.

Are the rear bump stops really that different? I understand what you're saying about the parts working together but surely I would feel that something is off, no? I believe if I'm not mistaken the fronts definitely looked different but the backs looked very similar and H&R doesn't match bump stops for their kit so hm...
2020 M240i Coupe RWD (ZF8) - AP Intake - AA Catted Downpipe - Remus Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust - xHP ST3 - Dinan Springs and Bumpstops - BMS 12mm Front and 15mm Rear Spacers - GazP Side Skirts and Rear Extensions - 20% Window Tint - Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps and Eyelids - IND Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0