THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Catless Emissions Testing Issues - Not Ready

11-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
DTR235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Xdrive

Catless Emissions Testing Issues - Not Ready

Hey, all.

For the record I searched on this pretty extensively and found conflicting information and most threads were from 2+ years ago, so I thought it might be good to see what the consensus is these days.

I'm in IL, which allows 1 "not ready" to pass. I took my car in today expecting to pass easily since no CEL's or anything, and I had 3 total "Not Ready". One for the cat, one for the 02 sensor, and some other one (don't have it with me right now).

I'm a 2016 M235 Xdrive running BM3 stage 2 on 93 with all the exhaust and intercool stuff. Catless exhaust. I've had the car for over 5 years but this just now having issues with emissions.

Guy told me I didn't fail, but I didn't pass either. After some research it seems this is common. This caught me off guard as I've been driving catless and tuned vehicles my entire life and I have never had this issue.

As I understand it, the primary fix is to install the stock downpipe and go to stock map, and I should be fine.
Problem is, I live downtown in a major city and don't have room for random parts so I gave my stock downpipe away once I knew the current setup worked well.

With IL allowing one item to show "not ready", do I have any options here to get through this? I've run catless Nissans, Subarus, Chevys, with a tune and this is my first time running into this.

The real kicker is that I plan to buy a new car soon anyway (M3/M4 Comp)... just waiting for prices to keep creeping down a bit. I was aiming for a purchase in spring of 2023.
Not sure how much a stock downpipe runs, but I know the catted ones that guarantee an emissions pass run $1k+, so whether I buy a stock DP and swap for emissions and then swap back, or get a compliant aftermarket DP, I'm in the hole for a good $1.5k-$2k regardless.

Do I have any other options? I've heard that if you are allowed to be "not ready" on at least 1 there is a path forward.... but no one could explain in detail in my research.

Other option is save the $2k parts/labor to get it to pass, and just trade her in on the M3/M4 now. But the car is paid off and I still love her and enjoy her and makes no sense to jump into a new car as we head into the dead of winter (especially since M3/M4 prices will likely continue to fall month-over-month).

I really appreciate any insight, help, or hard truths. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:33 AM   #2
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

I’m not sure trading the car is your path out of this. Will you get penalized financially trading or selling a car that won’t pass an emissions test?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #3
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR235 View Post
Hey, all.

For the record I searched on this pretty extensively and found conflicting information and most threads were from 2+ years ago, so I thought it might be good to see what the consensus is these days.

I'm in IL, which allows 1 "not ready" to pass. I took my car in today expecting to pass easily since no CEL's or anything, and I had 3 total "Not Ready". One for the cat, one for the 02 sensor, and some other one (don't have it with me right now).

I'm a 2016 M235 Xdrive running BM3 stage 2 on 93 with all the exhaust and intercool stuff. Catless exhaust. I've had the car for over 5 years but this just now having issues with emissions.

Guy told me I didn't fail, but I didn't pass either. After some research it seems this is common. This caught me off guard as I've been driving catless and tuned vehicles my entire life and I have never had this issue.

As I understand it, the primary fix is to install the stock downpipe and go to stock map, and I should be fine.
Problem is, I live downtown in a major city and don't have room for random parts so I gave my stock downpipe away once I knew the current setup worked well.

With IL allowing one item to show "not ready", do I have any options here to get through this? I've run catless Nissans, Subarus, Chevys, with a tune and this is my first time running into this.

The real kicker is that I plan to buy a new car soon anyway (M3/M4 Comp)... just waiting for prices to keep creeping down a bit. I was aiming for a purchase in spring of 2023.
Not sure how much a stock downpipe runs, but I know the catted ones that guarantee an emissions pass run $1k+, so whether I buy a stock DP and swap for emissions and then swap back, or get a compliant aftermarket DP, I'm in the hole for a good $1.5k-$2k regardless.

Do I have any other options? I've heard that if you are allowed to be "not ready" on at least 1 there is a path forward.... but no one could explain in detail in my research.

Other option is save the $2k parts/labor to get it to pass, and just trade her in on the M3/M4 now. But the car is paid off and I still love her and enjoy her and makes no sense to jump into a new car as we head into the dead of winter (especially since M3/M4 prices will likely continue to fall month-over-month).

I really appreciate any insight, help, or hard truths. Thanks everyone!

Also in IL and have a high flow DP on my 235i. When I checked a few months ago with the emission people, you can have 2 items that say not ready. I run in to intermittent CELs on mine. The only way around this would be to get a scanner and clear any codes, then drive for a couple of days/week or two and continually scan. As soon as you see you can pass, swing in there and get tested. That’s what I did and I passed. An inexpensive scanner from an auto store or even Amazon can scan.

You’ll also need to make sure that your BM3 tune isn’t “bypassing” any of the checks. Sometimes the tunes will bypass so it doesn’t throw a CEL. In all honesty, I’m not sure you’ll be able to pass with no cats, I think you’re going to throw a code pretty early. With my 200 cell DP I can go a few months normally, but it’s worth a try.

Other option would be say fuggit and don’t renew your tag. Your ticket for an expired tag is less than the renewal anyway. I run an old tag on my bike and car, done giving this shit state so much money! Lol

To buy a stock DP you’ll pay around $600 or so and the work is somewhat of a pain with the V-band clamps. I surely wouldn’t want to do the work to pass emissions and then do the same thing. I had a fun enough time doing it the first time.

Feel free to message me with any questions or if you want to troubleshoot.
Appreciate 0