THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Windows not opening/closing automatically

10-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

My windows don't always seem to sense the door being opened. Sometimes the window does drop down slightly when the door opens and then closes after the door closes. Sometimes it doesn't work, though, so I just have to keep opening closing doors/windows until it works. This happens with both windows/doors.

I tried holding window up and down for 10+ seconds in alternating fashion and combination, but this did not seem to help and did not bring up any messages in the gauge cluster or screen. Any know what's causing this or can suggest how I fix it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Does the interior light come on when the windows fails to self lower? Could be the door switch.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

That's a good question...I haven't noticed one way or the other. And since you posted yesterday I haven't had that problem - next time it happens I'll try to pay attention to that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #4
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

OK I figured it out - it was the battery.

Over the following weeks after this post my car was having other problems too and then eventually refused to start. I got an error message about "insufficient battery" or something to that effect, so I had the battery tested and then replaced. Since then the windows have been working well for the past couple weeks. In case anyone has this problem in the future...check your battery!
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

A weak battery can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated and hard to diagnose electrical issues.

Glad you got it sorted out.
Appreciate 0