THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Hesitation with Dinan CAI

09-24-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Hesitation with Dinan CAI

So i got a used Dinan CAI about a month ago, ordered a new filter from Dinan, and installed it. It was all fine and well seemingly... until it wasnt.

It wasnt always present, but sometimes under hard acceleration it would almost hesitate as if the fuel cutout. Felt exactly as if i had lifted the throttle.

I took the thing off several times, made sure everything was tight, to no avail.

I was thinking ok maybe its HPFP cutting out? I am running BM3 stage 0+ tune atm. So just to be sure, i threw the stock intake on there, with a stock filter, car pulls fine all the way to redline without any issues.

I dont see the intake making that much more power or significantly larger airflow to cause fuel starvation to that degree vs OEM intake. But i guess it could be the case...

The only things I can kind theorize, the vacuum line for the 8AT transmission doesnt seem to fit as snuggly on the dinan intake as it does on the stock intake. And the seal on the airbox itself isnt as tight of a seal as with the OEM box. The rubber edge of the stock filter creates an air tight seal on the airbox, where as the CAI is just plastic on plastic. Even with the shorter clips provided it doesn't seem seal as firmly.

I am more or less set on just keeping the stock airbox at this point, unless someone has some info i may be missing.
      09-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

How many miles on the car? Do you also have aftermarket chargepipe?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
How many miles on the car? Do you also have aftermarket chargepipe?
80k miles, and yeah ER chargepipe.
      09-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
80k miles, and yeah ER chargepipe.
if you've got the chargepipe + intake, you'll need to go BMS stage 1. Try that and see if if fixes the issue. If not, may be hpfp or leaky injectors based on mileage.

from my understanding, the hpfp tends to go around this mileage and doesn't keep up well with the added airflow from chargepipe + intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
if you've got the chargepipe + intake, you'll need to go BMS stage 1. Try that and see if if fixes the issue. If not, may be hpfp or leaky injectors based on mileage.

from my understanding, the hpfp tends to go around this mileage and doesn't keep up well with the added airflow from chargepipe + intake.
HPFP was replaced under warrant a couple years ago, new injectors 2 years ago.

why would i need to go to stage 1 in this case, the dinan intake should in theory work with a complete stock car, the stage 0+ tune makes arguably more power than even the BM3 stage 1 tune, just different part of the rev range. I had beaten the shit out of the car at its current tune, without ever encountering the issue, its just strange to me that something as simple as the CAI in theory would screw with it that much.

In any case i do not really want to go to the stage 1 tune, I ran that and the 0+ tune back to back a couple times, i really prefer how the car feels on the m2 tune, i can actually put the power down better and its top end improvement to me is the biggest bonus here.
      09-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Since you do not have a tune that can datalog and help pinpoint the issue, you need to take your car to a mechanic and have it tested. We won't be able to figure it out with the information you posted.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
So i got a used Dinan CAI about a month ago, ordered a new filter from Dinan, and installed it. It was all fine and well seemingly... until it wasnt.

It wasnt always present, but sometimes under hard acceleration it would almost hesitate as if the fuel cutout. Felt exactly as if i had lifted the throttle.

I took the thing off several times, made sure everything was tight, to no avail.

I was thinking ok maybe its HPFP cutting out? I am running BM3 stage 0+ tune atm. So just to be sure, i threw the stock intake on there, with a stock filter, car pulls fine all the way to redline without any issues.

I dont see the intake making that much more power or significantly larger airflow to cause fuel starvation to that degree vs OEM intake. But i guess it could be the case...

The only things I can kind theorize, the vacuum line for the 8AT transmission doesnt seem to fit as snuggly on the dinan intake as it does on the stock intake. And the seal on the airbox itself isnt as tight of a seal as with the OEM box. The rubber edge of the stock filter creates an air tight seal on the airbox, where as the CAI is just plastic on plastic. Even with the shorter clips provided it doesn't seem seal as firmly.

I am more or less set on just keeping the stock airbox at this point, unless someone has some info i may be missing.
You may not remember me, but I remember you from our Z3 days on BIMMERFORUMs.

My advice is you clear the throttle and fuel trim adaptations, it worked for me. I would also suggest ditching the Dinan all together, it’s one of the worst intakes for the platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
HPFP was replaced under warrant a couple years ago, new injectors 2 years ago.

why would i need to go to stage 1 in this case, the dinan intake should in theory work with a complete stock car, the stage 0+ tune makes arguably more power than even the BM3 stage 1 tune, just different part of the rev range. I had beaten the shit out of the car at its current tune, without ever encountering the issue, its just strange to me that something as simple as the CAI in theory would screw with it that much.

In any case i do not really want to go to the stage 1 tune, I ran that and the 0+ tune back to back a couple times, i really prefer how the car feels on the m2 tune, i can actually put the power down better and its top end improvement to me is the biggest bonus here.
I agree with you, the M2 tune is superior and makes
More power (stage 1 makes more torque)

Check the adaptations like I pointed out, that’s should help you out. Are you using the stock lower or M2 lower?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You may not remember me, but I remember you from our Z3 days on BIMMERFORUMs.

My advice is you clear the throttle and fuel trim adaptations, it worked for me. I would also suggest ditching the Dinan all together, it’s one of the worst intakes for the platform.
Yeah I remember you man!

I think i decided to ditch the Dinan intake altogether, i am using the stock airbox lower currently.

I had gotten the Dinan intake for a fairly decent price, so I am pretty sure i can recoup most of the money i spent on it heh.
      09-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Since you do not have a tune that can datalog and help pinpoint the issue, you need to take your car to a mechanic and have it tested. We won't be able to figure it out with the information you posted.
As far as I am aware BM3 can datalog can it not?
      09-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I remember you man!

I think i decided to ditch the Dinan intake altogether, i am using the stock airbox lower currently.

I had gotten the Dinan intake for a fairly decent price, so I am pretty sure i can recoup most of the money i spent on it heh.
Yes sir, I was modding that 2.5 to the gills!

Honestly, the two best intakes are the CTS and MPPK (M2 lower) intake with a drop in. I have one if you want it, 125 for the whole thing, otherwise the CTS is very good.

I would also strongly suggest getting a turbo inlet - I use MSTV2 (has to be the V2) it makes any intake more effective AND increased the top end power. It would pair excellent with your tune and whatever intake you choose.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 08:19 PM   #12
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir, I was modding that 2.5 to the gills!

Honestly, the two best intakes are the CTS and MPPK (M2 lower) intake with a drop in. I have one if you want it, 125 for the whole thing, otherwise the CTS is very good.

I would also strongly suggest getting a turbo inlet - I use MSTV2 (has to be the V2) it makes any intake more effective AND increased the top end power. It would pair excellent with your tune and whatever intake you choose.
Heheh, my 2.5 is still living at 230k miles now.

I actually did a proper BBK (for a non M) did 345mm front rotors, 312mm rears, s54 m roadster master cylinder.

Company in montreal makes an adapter for the rear to mount the M brakes + z4 hub. This effectively gives you M brakes, and all the mods accompanying that can be done on top of that (porsche calieprs etc). They also provided a nice pic of exactly how to modify the Z3M brake shoes to have your ebrake function heh.

I have a VRSF catted downpipe going on next soon. I was gonna pick up a turbo inlet pipe from ER soon, is the MST V2 better in your opinion? Was figuring it would mainly just help with throttle response a tad, or more preventive than anything.

Honestly i will prolly leave the intake alone for the time being until i feel like messing with it properly again.
      09-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Heheh, my 2.5 is still living at 230k miles now.

I actually did a proper BBK (for a non M) did 345mm front rotors, 312mm rears, s54 m roadster master cylinder.

Company in montreal makes an adapter for the rear to mount the M brakes + z4 hub. This effectively gives you M brakes, and all the mods accompanying that can be done on top of that (porsche calieprs etc). They also provided a nice pic of exactly how to modify the Z3M brake shoes to have your ebrake function heh.

I have a VRSF catted downpipe going on next soon. I was gonna pick up a turbo inlet pipe from ER soon, is the MST V2 better in your opinion? Was figuring it would mainly just help with throttle response a tad, or more preventive than anything.

Honestly i will prolly leave the intake alone for the time being until i feel like messing with it properly again.
I wasn’t aware that ER made an inlet (I do know they make a chargepipe) but yes, the MST V2 is absolutely worth it - I did it with the Turbosmart Plumbback diverted valve. Throttle response is actually noticeably improved, and it does pull harder at top end. Virtual dyno says over 10whp+ on top end.

after swapping the inlet, the stock airbox actually became a restriction and cause horrible turbo lag. Swapping to the MPPK box fixed this - the CTS intake was better still.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1472560&page=5
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
As far as I am aware BM3 can datalog can it not?
i missed the part where you mentioned bm3, yes you can datalog

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #15
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wasn’t aware that ER made an inlet (I do know they make a chargepipe) but yes, the MST V2 is absolutely worth it - I did it with the Turbosmart Plumbback diverted valve. Throttle response is actually noticeably improved, and it does pull harder at top end. Virtual dyno says over 10whp+ on top end.

after swapping the inlet, the stock airbox actually became a restriction and cause horrible turbo lag. Swapping to the MPPK box fixed this - the CTS intake was better still.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1472560&page=5
Hmm maybe they dont, I thought they did.

But i'll have to add that to the list then heh. Gonna throw on the downpipe in a week, man i had a chance to buy a CTS intake for fairly cheap off a guy locally, and figured id pick up a dinan one, that turns out to have been a mistake now.
      09-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #16
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible RWD

Hey, I recently just got a dinan intake as well. Since for some reason these n55 motors hate all aftermarket intakes, except the dinan one. I've had mine on for about 2 weeks now and everything is fine. I even ran it on stock tune for my inspection and it was fine. I feel like with CAI everyone has a different issue with these n55 motors.
Appreciate 0